Author Topic: Flashing transmission light  (Read 3450 times)

Shane123

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2011
Flashing transmission light
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
What's up guys I've just recently joined so Im a newbie here!

Hoping you guys can help me with my beloved jazz!!!

Basically for some strange reason I recently had add my radiator and slam panel changed because of a recent accident and now I seem to get a flashing D light whenever I put it into drive!!! I've plugged in my ODB and seem to get an error code of P0974 (transmission solenoid circuit A) but I'm pretty certain it's not the issue because the drive seems absolutely fine. Honda is asking for £66 just for an inspection and even after that they probably will say same thing that I already know.

Based in London so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
Re: Flashing transmission light
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
What's up guys I've just recently joined so Im a newbie here!

Hoping you guys can help me with my beloved jazz!!!

Basically for some strange reason I recently had add my radiator and slam panel changed because of a recent accident and now I seem to get a flashing D light whenever I put it into drive!!! I've plugged in my ODB and seem to get an error code of P0974 (transmission solenoid circuit A) but I'm pretty certain it's not the issue because the drive seems absolutely fine. Honda is asking for £66 just for an inspection and even after that they probably will say same thing that I already know.

Based in London so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do you have Breakdown cover - perhaps you could get it checked out that way first?

Steve

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
The trouble with generic code readers is that they don't always give you the full story, particularly for any non-engine related fault codes that crop up. The generic code will probably relate to standard automatic gearboxes, where I'm guessing yours is an I-Shift gearbox?

A quick google reveals that P0974 seems to appears for other faults, not just solenoid circuits. The full code for Honda is

P0974 Open in Shift Solenoid Valve A Circuit

...which indicates open circuit, or in other words, something is disconnected.  It might be worth checking that all connectors onto the gearbox are secured, make sure they are all fully home, and that no wiring or loom is damaged.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:07:06 AM by sparky Paul »

Shane123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 01:08:48 AM »
Thanks for that, I might just have a look to see if that's the case! the only thing is, I'm having an issue trying to lift the car enough to be able to get a good view around and the transmission gearbox.

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
I am not expert, but after some reading, I think problem may be due to weak electrical contact.

Basically, ECU does not receive expected value from the gearbox.

Please check the following link:
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/3P/SNB6E3PK77100090974FAAT00.html

It relates to civic, but may shed some light on your problem.

As your car drives as it should, it looks that the problem is big enough to throw the error, but the signal is still enough strong to send commands to the gearbox.

I would check everything around gearbox, including all electrical contacts.
If CVT oil is not changed in last 2 years, consider to do that.

Shane123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
But some say changing the oil can mess my gearbox up bad? Don't wanna risk it or it'll be another headache

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »
The gear box can certainly be 'messed up' if you don't change the oil every 25k miles or 2 years, whichever comes soonest.
Use only genuine Honda oil.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
Check all your doors and tail are closed and that, when enabled, the internal lights come on when you open each door and that they turn off for each door. Just a minute job that will rule out symptom. The flashing ‘D’ May just be reminding you your doors are not closed.

Shane123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »
So guys... Just went to Honda Chiswick for a car inspection and seems like the problem actually was the shift solenoid (broke) and the wiring loom (near the plug) had been shredded 😐😣

Any suggestions? The honda technician did say I could probably salvage the wiring loom by finding a new plug from somewhere or even possibly use the old one and patch up the wire. As for the solenoid, I'm a little stuck. If anyone want to see a video of the damaged part PM me and I'm more than happy to send.

I'm trying my best to keep costs to a minimal but seems like I'll be having to fork out a bit.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 08:00:51 AM »
Sounds like you're saying that damage may well have been from the accident that did for your radiator. If that was an insurance claim then they didn't do a complete repair and you could reasonably argue it should be done. I expect it would be complicated aka expensive.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Shane123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
Lol wish I could, the guy is a mobile mechanic and unreachable 😐

The car seems absolutely fine and nothing wrong with the drive. I was wondering is I should maybe delete the file code in order to stop the EML from appearing constantly

Tags: