Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 695983 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1470 on: June 08, 2020, 08:30:32 PM »
Another scrappage scheme could make the EVs more affordable https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uk-government-launch-new-car-scrappage-scheme but will it help those who haven't got a very old car but would like to move to newer technology?

Hmmm, doesn't quite make sense to me. Autocar seem optimistic that the scheme will include buying new hybrids because the EV market is still too small to make a pure-EV scheme worthwhile (because without the charging infrastructure, pure EVs are not practical for a large part of the motoring public) ... but why would the government want to encourage people to buy hybrids that're going to be banned in 12 years time? If that ban is to improve air quality and reduce carbon emissions, surely they'd want to phase out combustion engines as early as possible, not encourage people to buy them? Still, if it does include hybrids, £6k off a Mk4 Jazz would make it almost affordable after all.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1471 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:39 PM »
...but why would the government want to encourage people to buy hybrids that're going to be banned in 12 years time?

Are they? Wasn’t aware of that.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1472 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:09 PM »
They won't be banned, just not able to buy a new one.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #1473 on: June 09, 2020, 05:16:21 AM »
...but why would the government want to encourage people to buy hybrids that're going to be banned in 12 years time?

Oops, sorry, loose phrasing. Jocko is correct, it’s the sale of new hybrids that will be banned. This forms part of HMG’s plan to reduce carbon emissions. Doesn’t really change the point I was trying to make though, which is why would they encourage the take-up of something they want to get rid of?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #1474 on: June 09, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »

Oops, sorry, loose phrasing. Jocko is correct, it’s the sale of new hybrids that will be banned. This forms part of HMG’s plan to reduce carbon emissions. Doesn’t really change the point I was trying to make though, which is why would they encourage the take-up of something they want to get rid of?

Well actually, I hadn't picked up on the word 'banned', it was the fact that Hybrids will also be included with petrol and diesel engined cars that I missed. I thought hybrids would be on sale for a bit longer.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #1475 on: June 09, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
Ah, so it was the news earlier this year where Hybrids were added to the list that I missed. Although from the article I link to here they are not consistently mentioned.

I have to say, as a driver of a hybrid, I think they do provide a good bridge to the world of fully electric but also allow you to cling on to perhaps outmoded ideas of what a car should be. What I mean by that is, for example, by buying my RAV4 hybrid I was able to cling on to me perceived need for a largish 4x4 whilst achieving much greater fuel consumption than a petrol version would and avoiding the nasties of a diesel. However, I should have probably faced up to the fact that I probably no longer need that type of vehicle. And also that the Toyota Hybrid system in my car is first or second generation and nothing like as efficient as their current models and the new Honda system.

I am seriously weighing up a new Jazz for next year and the hybrid only choice just makes things simpler and more attractive, although they can be very weird to drive. The complete lack of connection between engine noise and speed/acceleration really takes some getting used to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1476 on: June 09, 2020, 09:30:30 AM »
I see MG have confirmed plans to sell a 500km / 300+ miles range ZS, initially in India, by 2022...

https://insideevs.com/news/427054/mg-motor-500-km-range-zs-2022/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1477 on: August 02, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »
Saw a comment by a Spanish guy that the domestic power supply capacity in a lot of older Spanish dwellings is very low,  something like 3.3KW hardly enough for a UK kettle and not enough for an electric shower.  Then I found this article, where it can be upgraded to 5.5KW - hardly enough to charge an electric vehicle though.   I know article is a few years old,  but the other statistic is that 2/3 of Spanish people live in a flat / apartment.   https://tonysparksinspain.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-upgrade-electricity-supply.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1478 on: August 14, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
Looks like we have a functioning graphene battery.... charges faster,  runs cooler, has a much greater charge / discharge lifetime.  All from a few atoms of graphene included in regular lithium batteries. No increase in capacity at the moment although Samsung are working on a battery with 30% bigger capacity for same physical size for their phones. Tesla also working on EV batteries.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:52:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1479 on: September 03, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
Program on ITV tonight at 7-30pm 'are we ready for electric cars'... 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1480 on: September 04, 2020, 08:54:06 AM »
Watched the ITV 'Tonight' program 'Are we ready for electric cars ' referred to in previous post this morning ( recorded ). The couple who were testing the car found it was taking roughly twice the time to do longer journeys than in a ICE car, and too many apps on chargers ( all worked differently ) some chargers were not working.  One of the main gripes is the sheer purchase cost of BEV - whether they save you money in the long run is also moot, typical cost of one journey was about £11 in petrol car, £9.50 in a diesel and just under £6 in a BEV,  ( but that was using home charging ) - all they said was 'cost would increase using charging points' without giving a typical figure  which is very telling,  as it may have been close to diesel journey cost....  The government will not give up the money from motorists and look out for road pricing or tax on electricity used to charge vehicles, 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:45:07 AM by culzean »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1481 on: September 04, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
Last year I did a little thinking about getting a BEV. I discovered that while charging at home on a suitable tarriff (eg Octopus Go - 5p/kWh between 00:30 and 04:30) would give a running cost much cheaper than petrol or diesel the typical rate for using a public charger is 30p/kWh. At 4 miles per kWh this works out at 7.5p/mile. That's about the same as my Crosstar sets me back in petrol at £1.15 per litre. My conclusion was that while a BEV makes sense as a second car for the local trips (provided it can be charged at home on a cheap tariff) on longer journeys the higher vehicle cost isn't offset by a much lower running cost.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1482 on: September 04, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »
Also a factoid in the program that you cannot tow an electric car as it damages the motors / electronic - so being as rescue services cannot charge the car you will need a proper truck to get the whole car on - damn.. any savings I might have made have just been wiped out by exorbitant cost of the rescue truck.  Maybe BEV car makers need to allow user to access the bottom part of battery that does not normally get used - but then again quite a few people will use that as 'normal' - so will not only still get stranded but damage the battery in the process.

I also have a picture in my mind that won't go away of the huge queues at charging areas on motorway services when BEV become more numerous, because motorways really knock the range back on BEV at normal speeds ( down to about 60% of claimed range ).   Seems to me BEV are better in urban areas with stop-go traffic but for longer journeys .... the jury is still out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:00:24 AM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1483 on: September 04, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
I quoted this somewhere else but Which reckon only 14% of their members are thinking of a BEV for their next vehicle. This is interesting because that particular demographic which, on average, lashes out £31,000 on a new car, is probably more likely to go for  a BEV than the population at large.

There are still a lot of obstacles to overcome. Range is still an issue as is the ludicrous reliance on apps by many providers (that's changing but it's still a turn off). The roughly 30% of the population with no access to off street parking is another.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1484 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »

Tags:

anything