Author Topic: Strong exhaust fume smell near front of car  (Read 6083 times)

guest7027

Strong exhaust fume smell near front of car
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Hi all,

Apologies for creating a new topic - there is a topic I posted a few weeks back about the 'smell of petrol' on a cold start and that these were seemingly coming from the tailpipe.

I have however started this new topic as I don't believe the smell is of neat petrol - the smell I am getting is similar to the exhaust fumes you get whilst car is warming up on a cold start - that rich petrolly smell.

These fumes however seem very strong towards the front of the car, specifically the left side (looking at the car straight on from the front - opposite side to battery, same side as steering wheel) of the engine bay and even in the left wheel arch.  At first I thought its just the wind blowing the tailpipe fumes under the car to the front but I have specifically tested this 20+ times now and I get the fumes sometimes just a few seconds after startup and there has literally been no wind whatsoever so there is no way the fumes could of got from back to front so quickly. If I jump in the car straightaway you can also smell it coming through the vents quite strongly.

Just to clarify the fumes are present almost always on a cold start and can start as quick as 30 seconds after startup. They disappear and clear after 3-4 minutes and you won't get them again until you leave the car at least 1 hour or more. The other day I left it 1 hour 15 mins and got the smell again quite strongly even though the car was still warm-ish (no blue oil temp sign on dash) and it was 20 degrees celsius outside so quite warm ambient temp.

I have also tested this on my partners car (Honda Jazz 1.4, same miles, service history, year, engine etc.) and hers never does this. I have tested them both side by side on the driveway in the same conditions (tempreature, weather). Mine does it everytime and hers has never done it. I further tested it on my fathers cars albeit not a Honda but it was a Hyundai 130 1.4 petrol with similar age and miles - again tested side by side to my car and although his produced the expected spent exhaust fumes at the rear on a cold startup whilst the car runs a little richer it did not make same smell near the front where as mine did.

I have ruled out all possibilities of neat fuel leaks (Honda have too) and I think the smell is of exhaust fumes leaking somewhere near the front of the car.

The car is still under warranty but Honda are syaing they cannot even get the car to produce the smell - I was stood there with the technician when it made the smell but they denied it even though I could smell it - they just said its the tailpipe fumes. In fairness even if it was the tailpipe the smell is still significantly stronger than my partners which I believe to be an issue in itself regardless. The car is due to go back into Honda next week for a full day.

I have had 1 AA guy confirm the smell and its rough source (he came out because the battery died on the car!) also had friends, family and neigbours confirm the smell who also agree that it doesn't seem normal and is easily noticable just to make sure I am not going mad!

Anyone go any ideas on this as it's driving me mad?

Thanks in advance.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Strong exhaust fume smell near front of car
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
The exhaust runs under the car and then down the LH side (right behind the driver's door sill). Take it to Kwik Fit or the like, and get them to do a free exhaust check, just in case you have a leak. They will do that no problem, thinking they may get a sale! Mine was leaking for months before it started blowing enough for me to notice it.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Thanks Jocko, this might be worth a try.

When yours was leaking did you get the smell as described in my post?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
My car is garaged all the time. And every time I start it you can smell the exhaust smell. Never considered it really strong, though. When I am outside it is just a case of getting in, shutting the door, starting it, and driving off. I don't believe in wasting fuel at tick over.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
.... the fumes are present almost always on a cold start and can start as quick as 30 seconds after startup. They disappear and clear after 3-4 minutes and you won't get them again until you leave the car at least 1 hour or more.
These are only 1 in a million possibilities but might be worth checking.  As metal expands with temperature maybe there is a gasket leak when totally cold, although I would expect this to leave a visible stain.  The EGR valve is on the drivers side of the engine (UK) and should have a gasket underneath it, same with the exhaust manifold.  Quite why either of these may have been disturbed since fitting in 2010 is a mystery, and I'd reckon it's impossible they were missed during assembly.  Similar theory with spark plug at this end of the block, although if slightly loose surely it would give an audible clue and compression would be compromised.  The exhaust/cat is fairly central on the back of the manifold so although it too could be the source I don't see how this would favour the right hand side over the left.  As Jocko mentions the exhaust runs behind the bulkhead and beneath the driver's door, it might be a source?

Maybe it's worth doing a similar check to that you would give a punctured inner tube by putting bubbles/froth around some of these areas to see if gas is escaping from them?  And dropping a socket over the plugs to ensure they are all tight enough?
--
TG

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
I've heard spark plugs are a bit of a pain to get to?

I watched a youtube video and you seem to have to take off both wiper arms and the surrounding plastic cowl to expose them?

I will get Honda to double check but is this a big job? or are we talking less than 1 hour?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
Replacing spark plugs on a GE is more like two hours plus, need to take wipers, plastic scuttle and unbolt wiper motor (3 bolts) from steel tray underneath (no need to disconnect motor from wipers) and wiggle tray from under the motor.  Getting the steel tray off and back on is arguably the most difficult and you need a 1/4" socket wrench with a decent long extension, the threads of bolts will probably be a bit corroded which means it takes longer to get them Unscrewed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:56:25 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »
Try using the Mann Frecious Plus cabin air filters for now until the problem is resolved. They are really good and stops exhaust fumes from getting into your Jazz. You can get them cheap on eBay. https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/products/cabin-air-filter/
Will give you the right model number.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies so far - just had a visual inspection of the exhaust system done and they said its fine.

I've checked the service history book and although it's got full Honda service history it only has ever seemed to have had the oil and filter changed...

I'm wondering if a proper decent service may help? Its done 46k miles

Maybe have spark plugs, air filter, oil + filter, pollen filter and fuel filter done?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
If it has only ever had oil and oil filter done, then a full service would certainly benefit it. The fuel filter is in the tank and only needs done every 72,000 miles or 6 years. However, it really only needs changed if the fuel pressure fall below 47 psi. As you have to remove the entire fuel tank most people just leave it alone, unless they have fuel pressure problems. I have never seen a dirty fuel filter on any of my cars. Unless the inside of the tank is rusty (think they are a plastic these days), or you use cheap nasty fuel (think 3rd world), you shouldn't have a problem (Haynes manual sections 1:17 and 4:11).

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
Thanks Jocko, worth knowing.

Will just get the other bits done then. Is it also worth running any kind of injector cleaner through the system e.g. Redex? or are these not worth the time?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Just in case you want to check the plugs there is a very clear step by step item on Google. All you need to do is put the following in 'DIY lower your GE8 Fit - Unofficial Honda Fit Forums'  I could give you the www but the above takes you there.
Ignore all the info re lowering the suspension just use the removing the cowl etc. Take heed of the warnings re the clips because to replace anything of the plastic is a case of having to buy the lot
One other point to get to the plugs you do not have to remove the wiper motor just undo the mounting bolts BUT be careful not to drop a spacer from the mounting rubbers otherwise you will have to go fishing in the engine under tray. If you are going to do anything around the plugs etc the on line manual is excellent.
If you haven't already accessed it    http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3     sorry I am a computer dunce so it is not a direct link.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I ran two bottles of Redex Petrol Treatment through my car this summer. 4 tanks of fuel. Haven't noticed any difference. Asda was selling it for a good price!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Honda fuel filter in the tank is a lifetime one, as confirmed by Honda dealer.  Trouble with Haynes manuals is that some of the information is generic.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Honda fuel filter in the tank is a lifetime one, as confirmed by Honda dealer.
This information did not come from the Haynes manual but from the service book for my car. It is shown as part of the 9.000 mile service intervals. The information about most people leaving it does come from the Haynes manual.

Tags: