Author Topic: Scary beeping alarm while driving my Honda Jazz SE 2002??  (Read 15288 times)

guest5079

Re: Scary beeping alarm while driving my Honda Jazz SE 2002??
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »
Whilst I appreciate that there are differences between the Mk1 and 2. I had a shrill bleeping after I had pulled away. Wife was with me. A few hundred yards and completely baffled I was asked if I had let the hand brake completely off. No warning light, so I pulled over and checked the hand brake all seemed OK. Applied handbrake and released it again. No noise and has not happened again. Could it be either a dirty switch or one on the way out? I only suggest this as all else has failed.
Problem is with so many warning bells and gongs it is often difficult to sort out what is what.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Doe' s anyone know how to stop the ear piercing seatbelt warning other than fastening the seatbelt...?

It drives my other half bonkers !

If she is wearing the seat belt why the comment in your post about 'other than fastening the seatbelt' - the law says you should fasten the seat belt BEFORE you start the engine and stop the engine before you undo the belt (you would no doubt fail your driving test if you did not do that),  in which case the alarm should never normally go off.

So just starting your car without fastening your seatbelt is illegal? (Maybe a fail on the driving test, can't comment on that)

You can however remove your seatbelt for any manoeuvre (as per law and driver test) that involves reversing.

In my experience with other cars the beeping alarm goes off after several seconds and/or when vehicle is moving.

CAR magazine ran a VW Mk7 Golf GTi as a longtermer, the tester noted the frustration of the car applying the electronic parking brake when he removed his seatbelt to do a reversing manoeuvre.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
Item 10 - not being in control of car while engine is running, you are breaking the law if the engine is running and you are not in a position to control the car, ie seated in the drivers seat.
https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/10-motoring-laws-you-have-no-idea-youre-breaking

It will certainly be a fail in driving test not to fasten belt before starting engine (ie if the seatbelt alarm goes off on your test you may as well get out of car, go home and book another test)
https://www.learnerdriving.com/driving-test/marking/precaution.htm

Maybe Ozzie can comment of this.

Maybe not quite illegal to be in drivers seat and have engine running with no belt on, but the alarm is there for a reason.  I guess 9 out of 10 drivers start the engine before they put seatbelt on though, and that is why the alarm is there.  Would be interesting if you were stopped by police for another matter and you took off your seatbelt but still had engine running when plod came to the drivers door - to be honest I don't want to find out that way.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »

The issue is that the warning is loud and I am looking for a way so either silencing it or reducing the volume.

Anyone help - sensible responses only please chaps.

Not possible I'm afraid.

It would be be better if it only activated once moving after several seconds, rather than simply turning on the ignition to open a window if sitting in the car, etc. On a Jazz MK2/Civic Mk8 - and presumably later cars - you also get a keys-in alarm, not ideal if you like sitting in the car on hot day with the door open and the radio on. [Thinking out aloud without any factual basis]...maybe this was done to please the US market?*

*Slightly off topic...whilst flicking through the channels sometime ago I caught an episode of US reality show COPS, they pulled over a guy in a third gen Honda Prelude and it had seatbelts mounted on the actual doors rather than the B pillar. What's the reasoning for positioning the seatbelts there?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:06:50 PM by RichardA »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
Hi

Sorry slightly off topic, but your post reminded me

Nissan did a people carrier with from seat belts on the front door

I know, I used to drive one, but a few times forgot and went to open the passenger door (whilst family member sat with seat belt on) and yes, nearly pulled their head off haha

Many thanks

John

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
Prior to the installation of airbags quite a few cars for the US market had automatic seat belts. They were attached to the door, and as you closed the door they moved round and held you in place!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
Prior to the installation of airbags quite a few cars for the US market had automatic seat belts. They were attached to the door, and as you closed the door they moved round and held you in place!

I have driven a few cars in USA with those, the belt moved on a motorised track along top of door frame towards 'B' pillar was very strange, but they did it because many American drivers were too lazy or stupid or both to put normal seatbelts on (maybe also too fat to find the fixed end)   The SRS (supplementary restraint system) that we now call airbags was introduced in USA because people could not be bothered to use seatbelts.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:52:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
Helpful as they are, airbags are nowhere near as effective as seat belts. Especially the modern pre-tensioner variety.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »
If the problem is thought to be the seat belt warning, could it be that the switch operated by the tongue of the seat belt is worn or the switch is getting lazy. NOT something to be done lightly but try carefully pushing an insulated screw driver into the seat belt stalk and see if the noise stops.
As to taking a seat belt off after being stopped by plod, in my day, a long time ago, it was what we saw NOT what we believed. Stopping a vehicle and then seeing the seat belt not in place should elicit the question when did you remove the seat belt. Courts would throw out anything that was the least bit ' well I am not sure that the driver was wearing a seat belt' indeed the CPS would not put it up for prosecution. They in my day would look for any reason not to prosecute unless it was a slam dunk.
As to seat belts and the wearing of, my approach to Ladies who I caught not wearing a seat belt was to draw my stick ( not always appreciated) and show them what a car windscreen did to a piece of African Iron wood. I had to break one at the scene of a suicide. I resisted attempts to have my stick replaced as it was a very useful illustration to Ladies what their face would look like after a trip through a screen.

Tags:

anything