Author Topic: Can the AC still work (with cold air) when the engine is stopped (at stoplights)  (Read 1753 times)

Daftam

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz

Thinking of getting a 2013/2014 Jazz Hybrid.

Curious: at stoplights, the engine is shut off, right?

If so, can the AC still blow cold air (like the Prius)?

Or is the AC runs of a pulley from the engine via serpentine belt?

Thanks!

X25DJB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 IMA HS
Hi, I've just checked the handbook, and no is the answer. The Airton will resume when the engine restarts.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Daftam

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Hi, I've just checked the handbook, and no is the answer. The Airton will resume when the engine restarts.

Thanks!

So I guess the AC does indeed run from engine pulley. Well, that's a bit disappointing. This means I can't drive in Hybrid mode! I live in a warm place - it's blazing hot here.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
When the engine stops it takes a while for the heat exchanger to warm up so the air coming out remains cold for a while. Certainly long enough for a traffic light stop.

Daftam

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
When the engine stops it takes a while for the heat exchanger to warm up so the air coming out remains cold for a while. Certainly long enough for a traffic light stop.

Thank you for your reply!

So, I did check this out again today - and I am not entirely sure you are correct.

Mind you, some traffic lights can take 2 minutes (I know I know, not all the time).

I realized this sounds a bit crazy - but you should see the heat where I am at (in fact, Honda declares my country to be of Rougher Conditions - maybe party because of this).

It happens to be that I just drove a 2018 Civic with the Stop Start system, and it's very noticeable that the AC is off. I told the owner I am shutting this feature off and he thanked me so much - he did not know it's possible.

Tags: