Author Topic: car ramps  (Read 1340 times)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
car ramps
« on: April 19, 2023, 09:30:13 AM »
was thinking of buying a pair of ramps to do some diy servicing , the ones you drive up on , for one thing it would make removing the undertray easier.

Many years ago I had a pair but got rid of them because the front bumper would scape the ramps as you drive on. As the clearance from the rubber strip under the front bumper to the ground on the Jazz Sport is only 150mm I was wondering if I would have the same problem.

Anyone use ramps on the Jazz without problems ?

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: car ramps
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 10:23:23 AM »
A few weeks ago I came across this DIY wooden car ramp video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMp_IBvlbo. Much cheaper than a standard one and also easier to drive onto (less steep).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:25:19 AM by Marco1979 »

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 03:09:40 PM »
brilliant idea and video , might give this a go if I can find some wood 8 x 2 in.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 04:22:02 PM »
The only issue I can see is the end stop (the 3" piece) is no higher than the steps in the ramp and as such it would be very easy to drive off the end. I would use the 4" leftover, cut to 3", to double the thickness of the end stop to try and avoid that. Unfortunately, that would upset the stacking unless it too could hinge.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 04:44:48 PM »
In the past I've used ramps like those shown. The biggest issue I found was they are too steep and the cross-rails are spaced too far apart, so when you try to get the car onto them they just slide forward unless you have something positive fixed down to stop them moving. All a bit precarious. Not a fan.
For doing work on a customers Iseki garden tractor (at their place) I made a couple of timber ramps as suggested in the link, putting a few pieces of 6x2 timber together in steps with 45deg angled ends to ease the driving up. They work much better than the steel type and stay at the customers place for whenever needed.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.41
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 07:13:17 AM »
I had ramps made for Accord ESGT - see attached.

For sale, but have to be collected, Perthshire.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 08:08:56 AM »
I had ramps made for Accord ESGT - see attached.

For sale, but have to be collected, Perthshire.

Looks very good and sturdy!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:10:31 AM by TnTkr »

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 01:04:16 PM »
  .... Many years ago I had a pair but got rid of them because the front bumper would scape the ramps as you drive on. .....

I have a similar pair to the ones in your picture but had the same problem with my old Passat - the slope was too steep for the low-slung front end. Just got a couple of pieces of 4x2 longer than the ramp and mount them on the top but 1 rung. The much less steep slope allows the car to drive to the top with no issues.
Dave
Carpe diem …

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 03:10:30 PM »
... so when you try to get the car onto them they just slide forward unless you have something positive fixed down to stop them moving.

I used to stand my ramps on pieces of carpet, the ends of which were flipped over onto the sloping parts of the ramps.  I figured that friction would stop them from moving.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 07:06:15 PM »
Invest in trolley jack, avoid ramps

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »
My last house was built on a hillside. The garage was on the upper level and had an inspection pit which you could access from the inside of the house from downstairs. I was, and remain, not much of a mechanic, and also only ever had company cars whilst living there, so it was completely wasted on me. Was a great storage area though for the larger junk we accumulated over the years.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
As a one-time avid amateur mechanic I found both had their uses. One trick I used regularly was to put the front end up on the ramp and then lift the rear end with the jack and support on axle stands. The ramp was custom-made (not for me, I bought it from the place I worked) and it had metal chocks that attached to the ramp itself so it was super safe. I could then reach the entire length of the underside using my car creeper.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 11:31:19 AM »
Trolley jack AND  axle stands  .

You shouldnt trust to a jack alone if you go under the car. 
An alternative to axle stands is to also support the car with strong wood or strong concrete paving blocks  so it wont drop if the jack slips or 'deflates'      But dont use  ordinary frogged house bricks or compressed building blocks as they can shatter unexpectedly. :o    ( Once or twice in my youth I parked the car over a dry drainage ditch and layed in that.But also other things that would shock health and safety experts these  days .Its amazing I'm still here  ???

If I had my time again ,and had  more time for diy mechanics I would seriously consider buying a proper 2 post car lift .New ones can cost under £2K.    and it could be sited outside  (suitable site and tolerant neighbours permitting)    The prospect of crawling under cars was one reason I didnt increase my interest  when I retired.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 12:06:47 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 01:35:23 PM »
As a one-time avid amateur mechanic I found both had their uses. One trick I used regularly was to put the front end up on the ramp and then lift the rear end with the jack and support on axle stands. The ramp was custom-made (not for me, I bought it from the place I worked) and it had metal chocks that attached to the ramp itself so it was super safe. I could then reach the entire length of the underside using my car creeper.

good idea , makes sense to keep the car level especially if replacing fluids.

Changing the gearbox oil and getting the level correct must be very difficult with the car at an angle

Tags:

anything