Author Topic: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?  (Read 9996 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
The military application in to allow conventional vehicles to run on hydrogen. Uses H2 as a cleaner form of LPG.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
Personally, I think that H2 offers a better long-term future for vehicles than all-electric because of better convenience and better range, but there are lots of issues to overcome. Improving the on-board storage isn't really a big issue, what's needed is a whole new supply infrastructure plus where do you get the H2 from? It's either by electrolysis (which needs lots of electricity) or from natural gas (which is of course a fossil fuel).
Provided there's adequate storage for the H2 then it could be produced when there is a surplus of solar and/or wind energy. I believe that there are already occasions when wind farms are being paid to stop generating. However, such a production arrangement wouldn't be very efficient.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2020, 01:12:19 PM »
Tidal generators, in Orkney, are producing so much excess electricity they use it to produce H2. The cables to the mainland do not have sufficient capacity to supply the National Grid.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
Tidal generators, in Orkney, are producing so much excess electricity they use it to produce H2. The cables to the mainland do not have sufficient capacity to supply the National Grid.
Can't get much greener than a fuel cell powered vehicle fuelled by tidal generator produced hydrogen.

Interesting thing about tidal power is it must be one of the few sources of energy that are not directly or indirectly sourced back to solar (radiation). Wind, for instance, comes from the weather driven by the sun. Fossil and wood come from photosynthesis (ultimately). Geothermal might be another candidate perhaps?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2020, 03:18:44 PM »

There's a few hydrogen projects going on in Orkney, you can read a bit about it here

https://www.bighit.eu/about

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »
This could make hydrogen production cheaper

https://scitechdaily.com/new-way-to-make-hydrogen-energy-out-of-water-much-more-cheaply/

'Hydrogen is an energy carrier,  not an energy source - which means you always get less out than you put in'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »
Interesting article, a few years old but non the less valid for that..

In all this it is humans and their profligacy and greed that are the problem,  how about if a law was enacted that no country can allow its population to exceed the number that can be fed by domestic food production ? It would help stop the carting of foodstuffs halfway around the world in polluting ships and aircraft,  and would help stop land in underdeveloped countries being exploited by greedy multinationals.

https://www.masterresource.org/environmental-improvement/nature-saved-fossil-fuels/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2020, 09:07:19 AM »
Interesting article, a few years old but non the less valid for that..

In all this it is humans and their profligacy and greed that are the problem,  how about if a law was enacted that no country can allow its population to exceed the number that can be fed by domestic food production ? It would help stop the carting of foodstuffs halfway around the world in polluting ships and aircraft,  and would help stop land in underdeveloped countries being exploited by greedy multinationals.

https://www.masterresource.org/environmental-improvement/nature-saved-fossil-fuels/

Well that's half teh UK population dead as we only  produce half our own food.

Any volunteers for euthanasia?  :-[

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »
Interesting article on cheaper hydrogen production. There seems to be a lot of work going into hydrogen catalysts.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags:

anything