Author Topic: Using Anti slip belt dressing on drive belts  (Read 1052 times)

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
Using Anti slip belt dressing on drive belts
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
I'm getting that annoying belt squeaking sound on these cold mornings.  Was thinking about buying belt dressing spray from amazon.  I know it wont fix the underlying cause of a worn belt, esp if my second hand 2007 Jazz has 103k miles on the clock.  But any downside to using such products?

How much could I expect to pay for a replacement belt to be fitted say in NW London area?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Using Anti slip belt dressing on drive belts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »
The Kevlar and polyurethane micro V belt should last for at least 100,000 miles and probably a lot more.  You can tighten the belt on a mk1 by moving the alternator on its pivot, literally a ten minute job if you have some decent tools - the pivot bolt is under the alternator and the adjustment screw thread is on top IIRC - do not overtighten the belt as there is no stretch in it at all, and overtightening can cause alternator or waterpump bearing to fail prematurely. The belt itself from Honda is about £50, cheaper ones are available IIRC some more info on belts on forum, use search function and belts, auxiliary, or serpentine as key words.

Check the belt visually ( which is all Honda do ) if it is not visibly cracked or fraying at the edges it is probably OK.   

Can't comment on belt dressings, but try tightening it first.

Mk2 Jazz and onwards have an automatic belt tensioner which you have to release the pressure on to remove the belt or work on anything the belt drives.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:53:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Using Anti slip belt dressing on drive belts
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
Iit can also be idler pulley bearing if it's only when cold, a quick misting of water on the belt will tell you if it's the belt squeaking.

Belt dressing spray goes everywhere and is very tacky, all the crap then sticks to that. I would rather put up with the squeaking.

Tags: