Poll

What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?

0W-30
13 (27.1%)
5W-30
29 (60.4%)
5W-40
3 (6.3%)
10W-30
1 (2.1%)
10W-40
2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?  (Read 22035 times)

guest4283

What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »
A little pamphlet in the owner's wallet suggests Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 (which is a semi synthetic petroleum based oil) I already have some. I have used this oil for many years on previous cars. The pamphlet goes on to state that Castrol SLX 0W-30 (which is a fully synthetic oil) is recommended for ultimate protection.

I know semi synthetic petroleum based multi grade oils have additives to make them achieve the higher viscosity rating at normal engine operating temperatures, and that over time these additives degrade and pull the operating temp viscosity rating down.

I don't know whether to use Magnatec 10w-40 and change it every six months or use SLX 0W-30 and change it every 12 months. Mileage is an issue as car will be used for short trips of less than 5 miles (bad), with no motorway driving, so would probably qualify for the severe service schedule (< 6k miles pa). SLX appears to have been replaced by Castrol Edge Professional, and is £10+ more than Magnatec 10w-40.

Since car wouldn't used around Siberia I don't think I need viscosity protection down to -30 degrees with a 0W or 5W.

Haynes manual says 5W-30, 5W-40,  10W-30 or 10W-40.
Honda Owner's manual says 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, OR 5W-30, 5W-40, OR 10W-30, 10W-40.

The graph on page 286 of Honda Owner's manual is not very helpful in trying to decide on a SAE 20, 30 or 40 oil. But I would have thought that a higher operating temp viscosity number would be better, the warmer the country.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
I would like to use Genuine Honda motor oil, but unfortunately its not available here. I find it quite annoying that its mentioned in the handbook and then you can't get it!

So I use Castrol Edge 0W-30 as recommended by Castrol for the UK Jazz every 6 months.

I could change it every year as my mileage is within the maximum for the year but I choose to change it every 6 months.

Remember oil is cheaper than a new engine.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Our 2006 1.2 on 30k miles which is serviced by the main dealer gets GTX professional 5-40 on its service each year, but then it only does 4-6k per year.

The 2005 1.4 on 96k miles got magnatec 5-30 and a new honda purflux filter when I got it, and I will change every 6 months as I do a lot of short trips working as a community rehab physio. I put molyslip in on the last change and the engine sounds great, although I think the gearbox is getting noisy.

I might use edge 0-30 without molyslip in future to give the high miles engine the best chance of longivety. The cost of edge is around the same as magnatec + molyslip from Amazon.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
I might use edge 0-30 without molyslip in future to give the high miles engine the best chance of longivety. The cost of edge is around the same as magnatec + molyslip from Amazon.

keep using the Molyslip - it is better than any oil - trust me my old Civic did over 180K in 10 years when I got rid of it with rear wheel arch corrosion - and never a spanner on the engine and still not using a drop of oil between changes - mainly due to molyslip, also gearbox was mint due to the magic of MOS2

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:48:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
So do you think I should pay the extra and use molyslip and castrol edge instead of the magnatec? I know that magnatec isn't a true fully synth oil and the price difference is only a tenner. Also, will molyslip quieten the gearbox because that is starting to rumble now.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
use the molyslip with the cheaper magnatec,  you can get magnatec fully synth Ford A1 (5W-30 fuel saving oil) for about £25.

Molybdenum Disulphide plating will be there when the oil is not because it is attracted to metal surfaces and is ultra-hard and ultra-slippery - this protects the bearings during starting and warm-up (when most of the wear takes place.   Molybdenum is an extreme pressure lubricant and is great for gearboxes but if a bearing has already started to fail it probably will not quieten it,  but will make sure it doesn't fail.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Yes ok, thanks for that.

Amazon are still selling Magnatec for £20.58 and a seller on e-bay has molyslip engine oil additive for 8.98 inc post which is cheaper than Amazon.
Also has gearbox additive for 7.00 inc post which I think I will try with the Honda manual gearbox oil.

Our trust has just started the NHS lease scheme and in a moment of new car induced fever, I had a look at the Jazz hybrid and the Yaris hybrid (both around 220 pm insured and maintained, not bad).
Whilst chatting the Honda man wanted to sell me a grands worth of gearbox repair immediately, with catastrophic results if I delayed, whereas the Toyota man said the Jazz will go on for years with the noisy bearings and just turn up the radio. So there!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
The Jazz will go on for ever with noisy gearbox bearing (it is only one that is affected),  my Wifes Jazz gradually go noisier in 1st then 1st and 2nd then 1st, 2nd and 3rd but never 4th and 5th.  When we did eventually get it done the guy showed be the bearing and there was actually not much wrong with it, it spun freely with just the slightest hint of noise, but was never going to fail outright,

as far as adding molyslip every engine  oil change,   I do it every second change because some of it stays on the bearing surfaces even when you drain the oil out.   The Disulphide part is attracted to metal and the molybdenum bit is the slippery part. It sticks to both of the mating bearing surfaces and the plates slide over each other, not the bearing metals.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:09:45 PM by culzean »

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
Ok thanks for all comments.

I have decided to use Castrol Edge 0w-30 due to it being readily available from amazon. I would probably go 0w-20 mobil 1 if it was available in 4 litre cans.

I phoned dealer and he said use 10w-40, which is a joke! Maybe he wants engine to be worn out when it's ten years old and me to come a buy a new car from him?

All engine oils are too thick at start up to circulate properly. Most engine wear happens at start up. Fully synthetic oil is best.

Some useful articles (if a bit technical) I've encountered:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »
vehicle Manufacturers are using thinner and thinner oils to reduce the fuel consumption of the vehicles (cutting down on 'churning losses' or 'viscous friction' in gearboxes and engines - clutching at straws to meet ever tightening laws and consumer MPG expectations) - this does not mean that thinner oils protect your engine any better - possibly the reverse.

the major reason that constant velocity joints on modern FWD cars now seem to last forever is the amazing properties of Ms02 (molybdenum disulphide) - which is a lubricant that will reduce friction and greatly increase the amount of force a lubricant will withstand (an extreme pressure boundary lubricant). Oil manufacturers could greatly improve both the cold start and high temperature protection afforded by their oils (in other words, make it more than just 'adequate' for everyday use) by adding MoS2,  but it is an expensive product, and the oil market is cut-throat and as such it is very price sensitive.   The moly you added to the last oil change does not all disappear when you drain the oil, a lot of it is still in the engine plated onto bearing surfaces,  and as such it is enough to add it at every second change - or add half the bottle at every change. 

It doesn't even have to cost any more,  buy a good quality 5W-30 oil at less than £30 mark and add £5 (half bottle) of molyslip,  beats buying Castrol edge at it's inflated price and flashy packaging.

And if any of you are thinking that I work for a company that makes molybdenum additives - well I certainly do not,  but have an engineering background and a long history of doing large annual mileages in cars without a problem (and without ever adjusting the tappets on GD Jazz).

and another thought,  the reason that motorbikes with 'wet' clutches (running in engine oil) cannot use moly in their oil is that it causes the clutch to slip by reducing the friction -  :-X
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:19:38 AM by culzean »

guest2853

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
I will soon switch to 0W 20.
Honda's can run with this oil; it is great for cold starts, cold engine protection and fuel savings.
The 10W 40 is an obsolete oil; good for my motorcycle but that is a different issue.

bayliss40

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 03 reg 1.4 cc
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »
Hi My daughter has just got her first car from her Grandfather, which his old Jazz 03 reg 1.4cc petrol automatic. She drives alot of miles, so the car has had a bit of a shock as it probably only did a couple of thousand a year but the car was regularly serviced. It needs a top up of oil, after reading this forum I have no idea which grade oil to buy as it seems to be a minefield. Money is an issue we carnt spend loads on a can of top quality oil. Did a search one suggestion was to use15W40 semi-synthetic grade
So can anyone please help on a suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:22:02 PM by bayliss40 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
Welcome. I normally buy the oil on offer at my local motor factor. I used Comma X-Tech 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil £16.80 at my first service. Last year one of the guys on here spotted an offer from Euro Car Spares for SHELL Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W30 Fully Synthetic £31.98 so I bout two lots of that.
My car uses a bit of oil so when I finish the oil bought for my service I top up with 10W-40 Semi-synthetic Carlube £20.49 that I had for the previous car.
I change my engine oil and filter every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Check your oil warm, after it has been standing for 5 minutes with the engine off, and on level ground. Mine normally sits halfway between Full and Fill. If I top up to Full then the next time I check it is back to the halfway mark. If I leave it there it sits there for weeks.
My car has done 127,000 miles (2006 i-DSi).

bayliss40

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 03 reg 1.4 cc
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice, very useful.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything