Author Topic: Improve the GE Jazz: What ONE thing would you improve?  (Read 48134 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Improve the GE Jazz: What ONE thing would you improve?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

Offer us the Fit RS and I'd write a cheque tomorrow.

I wonder if you would though?  The trouble is, the UK price would probably be ridiculous. 

The other issue for cars sold in Europe is that the EU requires car manaufacturers to keep their overall emissions low - a 1.5 Jazz, especially a torque convertor auto, would cost Honda dear.

I like the idea of a 4 wheel drive Jazz - they're sold in some countries, including Japan (RHD of course, so ne big deal to sell it here).  But at the end of the day I probably wouldn't buy one.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Problem with having 'fast and furious' cars is that they use more fuel, and with regular unleaded now over £6 a gallon I think most car buyers are now looking for cars that offer good space, reasonable performance and as many miles as can be squeezed out of every gallon of fuel (OK or Km per litre of fuel). In todays competitive market cars have to appeal to the widest audience, and late teenagers / early twenties with a death wish are not a large part of that market.

Performance cars are now for the rich and famous, I work with a guy who has a Mazda RX-8, and at 18 mpg on a good day he cannot afford the fuel anymore even though he is in a pretty well paid job and is single and living at home, I also know a guy with an MGF tuned to well over 200bhp, but guess what, it hardly leaves his garage and he uses an 'very ordinary' diesel vehicle for everyday use.

I know we would all want 0-62 in less than 6 seconds and 155mph top speed but the truth is that you cannot legally go faster than 70mph on a British public highway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1513

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
Fast and furious? Talk about hyperbole!!! The RS has only 120 hp. About the same as a MINI Cooper. No-one expects Type R performance. Just a brisk capability, rather like the CRZ, but without the dead weight of the half-hearted hybrid.  ???

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
Honda could always go down the turbo-charging route, that could be a good compromise between increasing the horsepower without harming emissions. I've driven an Audi A1 with the 85bhp 1.2-litre turbo and it feels quicker than the 100bhp 1.4 GE Jazz. The 1.2 litre 105bhp version of the same engine used in the VW Polo I think matches the 1.4 engine for CO2 and mpg.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:04:37 PM by RichardA »

guest1953

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »
For me it's probably the parcel shelf with silly flappy bits! Half the reason I went for a Jazz was the rear load space and the poppers are a stark contrast with the slick operation of the magic seats! The GD roller thing was much better, and could be removed and fitted across the bottom of the boot too.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
For me it's probably the parcel shelf with silly flappy bits!
They have disappeared on the new refresh, allegedly to enable the limited recline of the rear seats.

My theory as to why the UK Jazzes have limited engine options is that bigger engines would overlap with the Civic. While on holiday in New Zealand I noticed that they had 1.8 litre Jazz Sports on the Honda sales forecourts (but no trace of any Civics). They also have a lower maximum speed limit (100 km/h) than the UK so I wonder if the purpose of the bigger engine is to make boat towing feasible.

So what would I improve? The ride quality on patched roads leaves something to be desired, even on the latest models.

John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:17:58 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
As far as Honda UK are concerned, younger drivers would go for the Civic, leaving the Jazz to pick up those older buyers who bought the previous Civics up to 2006. Seems a win-win for Honda as they can attract younger buyers, especially those who'd normally consider a Golf/A3 and who don't want/can't afford a Civic Type R without loosing the traditional owner base.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:52:26 PM by RichardA »

guest3009

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
DASH BOARD REFLECTIONS
I have more or less cured the annoying dash board reflections in the Screen by purchsing from a small haberdashers shop in Croydon, a cheap offcut of dense black cotton velvet just the width of the dash and about 12" (300mm) costing £1.77. It lies across the dash - avoiding the vents of course and needing no adhesive. It has transformed driving in sunshine under trees. No longer does my wife listen to me grumbling and having to slow right down to safely see what's ahead. Honda, clever people that they are, should take this on board. I'd be interested to know whether other owners have found the reflections annoying?

Frank

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
The dashboard reflections seem worse on the 2012 Jazz than I remember on the 2009 Jazz. Honda seem to use hard recycled plastic trim which easily marks.I would prefer a soft touch trim that did not result in reflections and minor rattles from items in trays and the glove box etc. I have lined some of the the trays and the glove compartment with rubber and soft materials.

The Jazz is still far better than anything else in its class though.

uovouvou

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX with Premium Pack
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »
Jazz 1.4 EX 2009 = I'd have a more powerful engine or better (shorter) gear ratios.  I've never known a car that requires as much gear changing, especially on hills.  I went up a particular hill at Holmfirth the other night and I had to slip the clutch in first gear to get up (I've never had to do this in any other car that I've owned.)

It seems such a shame that Honda design such a clever car then the UK division lumbers it with underpowered engines, horrid intergalatic gear ratios, anaesthetised handling, jiggy ride, expensive and hard to find tyres on the top of the range model and a parcel shelf with press-studs.

It feels like there's a really good car underneath it all trying to get out, but it's hampered by the engine/gear ratios/suspension.  Strangely, the 2012 1.4ES I had as a courtesy car (which is what made me want a Jazz) seemed more torquey and was far more economical when compared to my 50,000 mile three year old EX, which makes me wonder if they've been changing the gear ratios or engine mapping on the sly.

On the plus side, the Magic Seats are genius, there is storage space galore including two sizeable gloveboxes and a decent boot, a fantastic stereo, superb equipment levels throughout the range, great panoramic glass roof and big 16" wheels on the EX, the seats are excellent (and big enough for bigger people, too), heater warms up super quickly, you can get in and out without banging your head on the windscreen pillar (unlike the Civic and pretty much every other modern car) and it seems very well made.  Reasonable economy too, assuming that the trip computer is accurate (which it probably isn't).  Can be made to shift if you get it above 4,000 revs.

I actually prefer the ride/handling balance on the EX 16" wheels rather than the 15" wheels - yes, it's a bit more jiggly but it feels more planted, handles better and looks better.  It's not like the 15" wheel version is that much more supple anyway.

Do I like the car?  Bit of a love/hate realationship really.
Would I buy another?  Only if it had another 20bhp and the CVT automatic.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:55:31 PM by mondy1975 »

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
I have the answer to dashboard reflections, Flocking :o
No it's not as rude as it sounds ;D, some examples here:-
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dashboard+flocking&qpvt=dashboard+flocking&FORM=IGRE
It's been used in motorsport for years to reduce glare from dashboards, the main drawback is that you have to remove the dashboard to have it done :(

Having only had my Jazz for five weeks I can't comment on the shiny dashboard issue yet.
I would however like a little more frontend feedback, it's not that it doesn't go where you point it, it just feel as if you know exactly where it's wheels are being pointed.
I guess coming from a MINI which was very positive in that sense which I miss.
I might try running 195/55 16's as I still have a set from the MINI sitting around.
Yes, another 20bhp wouldn't go amiss as long as the front end was a bit more 'pointy'.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
Jiggly/Noisy ride unacceptably harsh for a car at this price point.

No 1.5 engine - not essential but would be better for m'way cruising if it did imo.

UNDERSTEER - Lots of it, whether wet or dry. I think it's probably due to the tyres being so skinny, but it does seem to be quite noticeable on the Jazz c.f. other cars I've driven.

This goes hand in hand with what Defender said above - poor feedback from what the front "steering" wheels are doing. I don't want a rally cross turbo super f1 gt sports car, but even comparative cars like the old Polo have more feedback than this anaesthetised steering rack.

Occasional notchy gearbox (esp. when cold) - It doesn't actually crunch, it just "feels" nobbly if that makes any sense, rather than always feeling smooth - maybe it's just me but my old 1.5 Civic one was FAR nicer in feel (I've driven other GE Jazzes and they feel similar so it's definitely the design imho).

This:
Foot off accelerator and clutch in to change gear (e.g. going up gears).
The revs rise up briefly for no reason at all - whilst foot is OFF accelerator.
Makes you look like some kind of Learner driver.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
STOP DOING THIS YOU STUPID CAR!
None of my other cars did/do and I haven't really changed my driving style over the years (apart from being smoother if anything…).
I obviously adapt my driving style when in the Jazz to limit this but the point is I shouldn't have to for this one car alone (in which it is VERY noticeable).

Road/Wind noise - again, far too high.

Interior - a step down from the previous GD imo - full of cheap hard'n'nasty plastics

Better range of colours - I would have liked a darker grey than my Storm Silver but they only had 6 metallic/pearl ones to choose from when I bought my '10 model ES.

The ability to change the radio by giving the info to the right 3rd party manufacturers (who could then produce replacement fascia's with double din holes in them, mounting plates/cages and holes for ALL the other buttons too).

Things to NOT mess with:
Fuel economy
Looks (I like it's mini-MPV looks)
Reliability
Cheap servicing and costs

Overall I still like my car, but believe it could easily be improved in a few areas.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
The one thing I think needs addressing is the reflection problem which is exacerbated by the shape of the housing over the instruments.

I find the power / gearing / handling fine for my needs, but the CVT handles the gearshifts and the hybrid system probably boosts the low end torque. Certain road surfaces cause tyre noise but the car runs very quietly on a smooth surface.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »
Access to some of the components in the engine is fiddly and awkward, although routine servicing items are easy.  Maybe Japanese mechanics have smaller hands than westeners.

I cannot fault the car though, Excellent design and build quality, especially for the price.  The nearest rival is Hyuandai and 10 mins in a Hyundai will make you realise how well engineered the Jazz is.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3775

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
[the jiggly and harsh ride,tyre and wind noise,all the rest is all pretty good,but a 1.5 engine would be a whole lot better.i have the latest cvt, and it is brilliant,far better than my previous golf mark 5 autobox.the dunlop sp2030 are really grippy.i]
[/i]

Tags: