Author Topic: Fuel consumption from full tank to empty vs frequent refill.  (Read 4988 times)

guest9814

Re: Fuel consumption from full tank to empty vs frequent refill.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
Ok so we have gasoline vapour in tank and liquid  gasoline, this everyone understand .
Wats component of gasoline  goes in to this vapour ?
What’s properties this component adding to gasoline  ?
Wats happening to liquid gasoline after this component goes to vapour  in addition to that it behaves  less volatile ?
Does RON of gasoline changes when this component evaporates ?
Back to my observation .
I already seen several times - if I add fresh gasoline I have higher MPG but if I using tank to empty the MPG starting to fall and the closer to empty tank the MPG lower.
I already done from partial refill of 10.8l 50km but changed fuel pump company (the fuel source is same) fuel consumption started to fall - trip a (reset manually after refill) that resets every full refill displays 3.1-3.2l/100km trip b resets every journey display  2.8-3.1l/100km driving conditions and driving style not changed…

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »
Gasoline is made up of a mixture of different hydrocarbons (alcohols are also oxygenated). The lighter fractions, generally with the fewer carbon atoms, tend to be more volatile. Some will evaporate, but not all. It will stabilise when the pressure reaches a certain value depending on what the RVP of the mixture is and the temperature etc.
The calorific value of most saturated hydrocarbons doesn't vary very much, typically around the 43MJ/kg for the liquids used in fuels, ethanol is around 27MJ/kg.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuels-higher-calorific-values-d_169.html
I'm not sure what the typical density of the vapour is, but propane gas is around 1.5 times that of air. I don't think there's anything lighter than C5 or C6 in liquid gasoline, so I'd guess the vapour density is at least that of propane, somewhere between 1.5 and 2x air, so will sit on top of the fuel and stop any air getting to it in the tank. The volume ratio of vapour to liquid is of the order of 250:1 or more, you'll need at most 100 gms or so of liquid to make up 20 or 30 lts of vapour. That will not significantly detract from the characteristics of the remainder of the gasoline. Also light fraction vapour which does exit the tank to the carbon can will get taken into the engine anyway, an evaporative loss system cannot allow breakthrough of vapour to atmosphere, it has to be contained to a high level of efficiency to meet regs. and subsequently consumed by the engine.

As far as your economy readings go, I suppose it's possible that the evaporative loss recovery might be just about enough to make a difference, a full fresh tank will make more vapour and send it to the canister, and this will gradually reduce as the tank gets used up and lighter fractions are driven off. The engine will consume these fractions as the canister purges and the injector pulse width will reduce slightly to compensate, but of course the ECU only records the injector on-time for calculating economy so it will appear better with higher canister loading (that's effectively not measured). If this is what is behind your readings, it's actually a false representation because fuel is being used from the tank, it just isn't going through the injectors. You're still getting bang for your buck, so to speak. Of course this is just educated guesswork, it might be something else entirely.

guest9814

• Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »

short fuel trim parameter is correction of fuel injection time right ?
Watched this parameter when ICE starts it’s going to -2 then back to 0 so no much correction made I think.

but perhaps still gasoline is not very good quality, often when the engine is turned on, pops are heard , perhaps in the intake manifold, and the Honda diagnostics counted about 500 misfires in half a year (wanted to activate Honda eSIM) so seen everything that I can reach…
About pops in intake I not sure if this bad or normal for Atkinson engine….

Tags:

anything