Author Topic: Journey through Wales - recommended stopping points please  (Read 808 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Journey through Wales - recommended stopping points please
« on: August 27, 2021, 03:45:07 PM »
Next week I am driving in my RAV4 in convoy with my lad and his (pregnant) girlfriend in the Jazz, from West Yorkshire to Pembrokeshire. They are not keen on motorways, so after taking the M56 to Cheshire we are heading past Wrexham and down across the middle of Wales.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to take a break. With Ben's partner being 5 months pregnant, we would like a few options to stop that are clean and have places to exercise the dogs. I remember a large roadside Starbucks somewhere last time I did this but that might have been further West, as that journey was Anglesey to Pembrokeshire.

Thanks in anticipation.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Journey through Wales - recommended stopping points please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:17:15 PM »
The obvious route would be to take the A494 from Corwen to Dolgellau via Bala, then the coast road (A487) towards Pembrokeshire.

Bear in mind that these aren't the quickest roads. As you've done a similar journey before, you're probably aware of this.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 05:24:23 PM »
Yeah thanks, but actually the overall time is probably the same as M6/M5/Msomething else/M4.

Just wanting to find nice places to stop and refresh along the way.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 06:53:01 PM »
As a National Trust member my journey planning gets done with the help of a map of NT places. It costs me nothing to do a short stop to stretch the legs and use the facilities. Berrington Hall north of Leominster has a loo at the car park if you only want to make a quick stop and there's a viable route from the M56 to Pembrokeshire using A5, A49 then to Brecon and join the A40.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 07:12:34 PM »
Great suggestions John. Will look into both of those.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:30 PM »
As a National Trust member my journey planning gets done with the help of a map of NT places. It costs me nothing to do a short stop to stretch the legs and use the facilities. Berrington Hall north of Leominster has a loo at the car park if you only want to make a quick stop and there's a viable route from the M56 to Pembrokeshire using A5, A49 then to Brecon and join the A40.

We do the same, NT places always have clean toilets and places to eat ( unlike English Heritage ) and if you are  a member costs nothing ( you still have to pay for food though  :o  )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 07:53:42 AM »
Also worth doing a Google Maps search for garden centres along your route. Most of them have decent cafes/restaurants, loo facilities, and parking. The only drawback is SWMBO has a shopping opportunity ...

Tags:

anything