Author Topic: Range anxiety.  (Read 795 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Range anxiety.
« on: August 13, 2021, 01:10:54 PM »
Today I suffered range anxiety. My petrol was low but I decided I had enough to reach my usual filling station. It was 40 miles but my ScanGauge said I had enough fuel left for 33.3 miles. I started to claw the deficit back then it would slip the other way. 4 miles from fuel it told me I had no more fuel left. I made it but it was an uncomfortable trip. EV drivers just have to get used to it. Don't think I'll bother, much though I would like one.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Range anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 01:25:19 PM »
When that happens I always brim the tank to see roughly how many litres could still have been in there.
Let's be careful out there !

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »
Today I suffered range anxiety. My petrol was low but I decided I had enough to reach my usual filling station. It was 40 miles but my ScanGauge said I had enough fuel left for 33.3 miles. I started to claw the deficit back then it would slip the other way. 4 miles from fuel it told me I had no more fuel left. I made it but it was an uncomfortable trip. EV drivers just have to get used to it. Don't think I'll bother, much though I would like one.
[/quote

I've recently and reluctantly come to the same conclusion. I am trying, however, to reduce my relatively low mileage mainly by preplanning and combining reasons for using the car.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
Having just posted on the subject I switched to the BBC News site and immediately came across, under the Full Story section, a piece on the very subject from the US.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »
There was the time I was driving from near Ross on the SE Welsh border to the NW of Wales, via the Heads of the Valleys and the A470 about ten years ago.

Could I see any petrol stations? Could I heck! I was watching the gauge go down and the estimated range drop below 30 miles. It was getting late and the villages were getting further and further apart. It was more than 60 miles to the next petrol station I was certain would be open 24 hours, in Porthmadog.

And then I came to the village of Caersws at 9.50pm. The petrol station was scheduled to close at 10pm. A sigh of relief!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »
I have experienced the same thing in the Scottish Highlands on a Sunday. Filling stations closed at 6pm.
My 39 litre tank took 38 litres! 515 miles between top-ups.

Tags: