Author Topic: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report  (Read 6952 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »

Ross Clark

And, so - he is a writer and freelance journalist. Anything wrong with that?

As you have often said "If you don't like it, you don't have to read it".
I was just pointing out his affiliations.
Maybe I'm biased against "journalists" who write for the Telegraph, Express and Mail and whose work is associated with libertarinism and free market economics.
Or maybe journalists who write for the Telegraph, Express and the Mail might be biased against scientists advocating
cutting emissions and other green policies to mitigate the effects of global warming

He was only telling us what was ACTUALLY in the report, not the alarmist version we get fed by the media...  as he said if the IPCC report was a horror film script, you would be wanting your money back...  The BBC actually paid outside consultants to draw up a report about the best ( read = most alarming ) way to phrase their coverage to alarm different groups of people ( they identified the groups most likely to agree or disagree with MMCC ).  Quite a few scientists say that rising CO2 lags the warming of climate,  but you never really hear about them on the general media - they get 'cancelled'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 08:07:35 AM »
If papers and television reports were couched in such cautious terms they would be extremely boring but I don't think the implied connections are unjustified.

The media is not helped by stories fed to them by the IPCC which have been deliberately alarmist and deliberately misrepresent their research and conclusions.

The press conference which launched this was deliberately overstated to capture attention and fire up headlines

The research and conclusions fed to the media are at the extreme ranges in the report, not a reasonable expectation.

Bless them, the media tend just to report what is handed to them (i.e. press releases and pre written articles).

Some like Ross Clark go the extra mile and actually read the reports for themselves - it is called investigative journalism,  but seems to be going out of fashion,  overwhelmed by the 'cut and paste' brigade.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
Another article by that heretic Ross Clark, this time on the true cost of 'net zero carbon',  does not make comfortable reading, just shows that there is more than a touch of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this whole MMCC malarky.

It is a longer article, so attached to post as a PDF doc.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
I'm kind of losing the plot in the debate on this thread. Are folks saying they disbelieve the implications and conclusions of the recent report ... which is tantamount to saying that the many thousands of scientists (including heretics) who contributed to and peer-reviewed it, and the national governments that signed off on it, are wrong? That would be a bit cheeky, to say the least. Or are we actually disputing the way various sections of the media have chosen to interpret those findings for our benefit? If the latter, the debate seems facile, it doesn't change the underlying facts.

A thoughtful comment about the quality of the report from Tortoise.com:

"The body. The IPCC was established by the UN in 1988, and it’s made up of the world’s leading climate experts. Divided into three working groups and a task force, each group has a chair from a developed country and a chair from a developing country. This latest report was signed off by 234 scientists from 66 countries, and reviewed by representatives of 195 member governments.

The method. A new ‘state of the world’ assessment report is issued every seven years or so. Scientists review and synthesise developments across climate change impacts, adaptation, vulnerability and mitigation. Monday’s assessment report, the IPCC’s sixth, is from the working group on impacts. It relied on more than 14,000 peer-reviewed studies around the world. The process is painstaking: the two drafts of the report received 74,849 comments from experts. Two further reports released in 2022 will deal with climate adaptation, vulnerability and mitigation.

The findings. There were three major takeaways: 1. Humans are “unequivocally” responsible for global warming (obvious to many but the IPCC’s strongest statement yet). 2. Some climate systems, such as continued sea level rise, are irreversible at least for centuries. 3. It is very late, but thankfully not too late, to avoid the worst impacts of climate breakdown.

The tone. In a 42-page summary for policymakers, the Washington Post counted more than 100 uses of the words “high confidence” and nearly a dozen instances of “virtually certain”. The IPCC is seen by some scientists as a conservative organisation – climate change has often outpaced its projections – so terms like these aren’t thrown around flippantly."

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »
I think a small country like the UK would be better spending the money trying to mitigate the effects Climate Change will have on our population, rather than trying to reduce the "drop in a bucket" emissions we produce.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »

Come on, if a report from the United Nations, the IPCC, 234 scientists in 66 countries is not an argument from authority, what is?

It is a report commissioned by the UN and carried out by independent scientists to inform governments of the current situation with regard to climate change. It will be up to governments to take actions.
It should serve as a wake up call to governments. Let's hope the governments don't keep on pressing the snooze button.

What "action now" do you propose?

Transport.
             Aviation. Greenhouse gases do most damage in the upper atmosphere. I would abolish Aviation fuel tax        exemption. People shouldn't expect to be able to fly to the Mediterranean for £30.
              Road. Encourage adoption of electric cars. Encourage working from home
              Shipping. Keep shipping to a minimum. Reduce importation of food from around the world. Although that's another story

Housing. No building on flood plains or potential flood plains.
              Increase insulation in existing  houses to conserve energy. Encourage solar panels where appropriate.
              New builds incorporate green areas with soakaways in schemes. (Scotland uses a combined sewage system
             so when floodwater rises through manholes it is not clean). Ultimately change to separate sewage and surface water systems.
             Give thought to ventilation and communal heating systems. Solar panels and heat exchangers.
             Commercial and industrial property and public buildings . Increase insulation and minimise heat loss through
             doors. Solar panels and heat exchangers.
 Research and development. Increase R&D in alternative energy. Not just wind but tidal, wave. and geothermal.
Storage of energy. Batteries and Hydrogen

There must be others.

These measures will cost money but to avoid paying now will incur much greater costs in the future.

Edit Typo inserted word "don't"

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:29:03 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »
Another article by that heretic Ross Clark, this time on the true cost of 'net zero carbon',  does not make comfortable reading, just shows that there is more than a touch of 'The Emperors New Clothes' about this whole MMCC malarky.

It is a longer article, so attached to post as a PDF doc.

Ross Clark is being employed by the Daily Telegraph to write articles belittling the effects of global warming.
I refer you back to one of my early posts where, on the day of the publication of the report the headlines were

Ten Main Points
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/ipcc-report-2021-summary-climate-b1899189.html

BBC take
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705

And the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/09/ipcc-reports-verdict-on-climate-crimes-of-humanity-guilty-as-hell

Telegraph Headline
"The political question of our era is how to tackle climate change without losing voters"

Daily Express
Heatwave forecast: 'Intense 46C heat dome' to sear Europe for 7-days - new weather maps

I think the headline shows the priorities of the editorial staff

Quite a few scientists say that rising CO2 lags the warming of climate,  but you never really hear about them on the general media - they get 'cancelled'.

As I pointed out earlier the effect of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases has been known since the early 19th century.
https://www.history.com/topics/natural-disasters-and-environment/history-of-climate-change

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2021, 12:20:22 PM »
It should serve as a wake up call to governments. Let's hope the governments keep on pressing the snooze button.
I'm kind of hoping the word 'don't' is missing from your second sentence.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
I think a small country like the UK would be better spending the money trying to mitigate the effects Climate Change will have on our population, rather than trying to reduce the "drop in a bucket" emissions we produce.

That wouldn't set a good example.
What would happen if all the other governments thought the same?

That's not saying that most of them won't adopt a similar attitude or try to avoid taking action.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2021, 12:26:32 PM »
It should serve as a wake up call to governments. Let's hope the governments keep on pressing the snooze button.
I'm kind of hoping the word 'don't' is missing from your second sentence.
Thank you.
I'll go back and change it.
Maybe it's my expectation though.

guest4871

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »

+1

As someone whose contribution to CO2 emissions is one hundred millionth of one per cent, I remain to be convinced that reducing my contribution to one hundred millionth of half a per cent will make an iota of difference to the world. 

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »

+1

As someone whose contribution to CO2 emissions is one hundred millionth of one per cent, I remain to be convinced that reducing my contribution to one hundred millionth of half a per cent will make an iota of difference to the world.

Let's hope 7 billion other people don't think the same.

guest4871

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2021, 03:07:33 PM »

+1

You are almost a billion out.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

World population growth is the real problem we ought to be tackling.

Climate change is just one small by-product of overpopulation.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »

+1

Yes indeed, but population control is not great for politics and those who are busy farming the herd. Let's face it, conventional economics really boils down to little more than demographics and votes.

guest4871

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2021, 07:51:33 PM »

+1

Yes indeed, but population control is not great for politics and those who are busy farming the herd. Let's face it, conventional economics really boils down to little more than demographics and votes.

Yes I agree - looks like Nero is fiddling again?  ;)

Tags: