Author Topic: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report  (Read 6998 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
« on: August 09, 2021, 10:16:33 AM »
A “devastating” new report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is set to warn the world running out of time to avert 1.5C of warming.

Global leaders have pledged to avoid that figure, and UK ministers hope the new document will act as a “wake-up call” for polluters. Britain is hosting Cop26, the next climate crisis summit, in Glasgow in November.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/ippc-report-2021-climate-latest-reactions-b1899279.html

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
Ten Main Points
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/ipcc-report-2021-summary-climate-b1899189.html

BBC take
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705

And the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/09/ipcc-reports-verdict-on-climate-crimes-of-humanity-guilty-as-hell

Telegraph Headline
"The political question of our era is how to tackle climate change without losing voters"

Daily Express
Heatwave forecast: 'Intense 46C heat dome' to sear Europe for 7-days - new weather maps

Edit Added Telegraph and Express headlines
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:22:47 PM by JimSh »

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »
can be a double edged sword .. i read a couple of years back that everytime a country have these huge fires such as in Greece and Turkey at the moment the pollutants from these fires = 10 years of car polutants in to the atmosphere.
sad days

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
There was a lot of news coverage last night but will the world leaders pay any attention?
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/climate-crisis-ipcc-report-act-now-b1899548.html

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
Having read what uk policy is - wafffle and hope and come out with economically unaffordable proposals ,I assume Boris is not serious and intends to retire soon so he vcan blame his predecessor when it all goes wrong - as it will...
If Shapps cannot sort an easy problem - EV charging -then there is no way the proposals will work.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
There was a lot of news coverage last night but will the world leaders pay any attention?
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/climate-crisis-ipcc-report-act-now-b1899548.html

Just like Covid our leaders know what is going on, but want to keeps the proles scared, if they do not appear worried about MMCC it is because there is nothing to worry about,  but they use it like parents of a naughty child use the boogie man in the wardrobe. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 08:23:05 AM »
I'm afraid I don't understand what this benefit of inventing man made climate change could be. Perhaps you could explain.

Also is it really right to say there's 'nothing to worry about' with all the wildfires and heatwaves going on, the devastating floods in northern Europe? As I understand it one of the prominent features of this IPCC report is that they are sure such events are man made. I can appreciate you don't like their conclusions but that doesn't make them idiots.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
I'm afraid I don't understand what this benefit of inventing man made climate change could be. Perhaps you could explain.

Also is it really right to say there's 'nothing to worry about' with all the wildfires and heatwaves going on, the devastating floods in northern Europe? As I understand it one of the prominent features of this IPCC report is that they are sure such events are man made. I can appreciate you don't like their conclusions but that doesn't make them idiots.

Carbon taxes, hiking of power bills to subsidies renewables that only work when they feel like it, new powers to governments and the general chronyism and money making that always taints governments and their camp followers.  Shocking the number of private jet flights to the climate change conferences ( held in all four corners of the globe ) the luxury hotels that delegates stay in and the guzzling of expensive food and wines, shipped in from everywhere.  Plenty of money to be made out of keeping the proles in an agitated state, ready to agree to anything.  Just take note of the ever more strident claims, blaming everything ( however normal ) on MMCC,  Nope the MMCC religion is big business for big businesses and it is big business that runs governments ( modern politicians are wont to say 'these are my principles,  but if you don't like them I also have these, and these.... ).  Companies who install and run renewables get paid whether or not the farms actually produce anything,  so do not really care if if the sun shines or the wind blows ( which it too often does not ),  this does wonders for our energy bills, paying for stuff that is not made or supplied.  The so called green energy suppliers now put a very small note on their TV adverts after all the blurb about green energy, ( blink and you will miss it ) 'your electricity is supplied from national grid',  which most of the time will be running on CCGT ( combined cycle gas turbine generators ) or nuclear, either from UK or via the 2GW cables from France.   If the green energy suppliers had to throttle back or cut the power to their customers when their kit was not performing people would realise how intermittent renewables are, and very often when you need power the most.

Climate change is very lucrative if you are in the right place,  and if you disagree you get 'cancelled'.

On wildfires I have experience from Australia ( was there in 1994 large fires around Sydney ) a lot of fires are deliberately lit by various retards for whatever reason, the state fore services used to go round every winter doing 'backburns' and creating fire breaks to get rid of fallen leaves and wood on forest floors called the 'fuel load' ( dry Eucalyptus leaves are full of oil and do not need any excuse to burn, the 'Blue Mountains' west of Sydney are so called because of the 'blue haze' of evaporated Eucalyptus oil that hangs over the trees in hot weather.   The back burning has been cut back by the jumping up and down of greenies and cutbacks in fire services,  the result is that once a fire gets going it creates its own wind and is unstoppable, same in California. 

Copied this comment from an article about Greek fires..

Just as in California and Australia we see bad forestry management creating perfect conditions for fires, however started, to spread like, well, wildfire.
Clear the undergrowth and the deadfall that acts as kindling. Create firebreaks, have controlled burns etc. The uncontrollable spread is a man made problem caused by neglect.
Of course it suits multiple agendas to put it down to "climate change", especially if you helped to cause the problem. Particularly when the media, with their own agenda, will fall into line, no awkward questions asked.
The same is true of the floods in northern Europe.
The worst of this could have been prevented but nothing will be done while it's all allowed to be portrayed as "climate change."  In addition to the spread of man into marginal areas, all these houses etc being built where it was once wild countryside, adds to the risk that their irresponsible actions start a fire. In both OZ and California it was noticeable that the forest fires followed the highways and human settlement.

As for flooding, we can see in UK that many places were, and continue to be built on floodplains, this is lunacy because even if flooding has got no worse a lot more places are affected by it now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:16:36 AM by RichardA »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »

Climate change is very lucrative if you are in the right place,  and if you disagree you get 'cancelled'.
Yep, but it's not those giving the warnings about it who stand to make the money. It's the big oil companies and rich industrialists in pursuit of ever increasing GDP and media barons  and the politicians of the Republican and Conservative parties and their equivalents who receive their backing.
They have continued to suppress the warnings of global warnings for decades in pursuit of profit in much the same way as tobacco companies denied the damaging effects of smoking.
These same people will be least affected by the damage they have caused and again profit by buying up land and resources cheaply after the devastation for which they have been responsible.

Edit Corrected typo then added to rant.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:16:48 AM by RichardA »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
[Edit by Admin - Removed response to deleted post]

What I struggle with is how people with a science or engineering background can't seem to accept that climate change, whether it is man made or not, is happening. I am fed up of reading why proposals, alternatives, different ways of behaving won't work, without ever an alternative/counter proposal.

In my experience, people tend to fall, generally, into two categories..

1. People who are generally negative and have an overall draining effect on your energy. At times they can be great fun, inventive and brilliant, particularly on subjects they are passionate about, but in the overall balance, they're not.

2. People who generally are positive, open, outgoing, constructive and a pleasure to be around. They may have times when they are down, but they tend to recover quickly, will reach out for help and always seem to come up with another way of looking at things.

My mother in law falls into the first category. Very hard to get along with, tries to be positive but is generally negative. I have spent 30 years trying to change or enlighten her and given up. Now I tend to ignore the bs that she often spouts. A great example was to describe a west facing window as getting the sunlight all day long!

I try to spend my time, in real life and online, with people who fall into the second category.

If we accept that climate change is happening and accelerating, why would we choose to do nothing about it, unless we have truly no care for the next generation of humans, the non human occupants of our planet or the future in general? There is no climate lottery that we might win that will sort everything out.

What makes us think that planet Earth will treat us differently to any of the other mass extinction events that have happened? In the geological timeframe, we are nothing. Just another blip. Earth will go on and we will be swept aside and some other species will become dominant.

This probably happens all over the universe. It must be incredibly difficult for any civilisation to reach the phase of enlightenment that allows it to succeed in achieving intergalactic travel without first wiping itself out in some way. There is a name for this theory. I will need to Google it.

EDIT: The nearest I can find to what I was describing is #thegreatfilter

Peace be with you...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:33:26 AM by RichardA »

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »

What I struggle with is how people with a science or engineering background can't seem to accept that climate change, whether it is man made or not, is happening.
I may be misreading this.
Global warming has been accepted by the scientific community for decades. The warming effects of CO2 have been known about since the early 19th century.
Perhaps you meant you struggle to understand how someone with a science or engineering background can't accept climate change?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15874560

Edit Added link
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:56:38 AM by JimSh »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 11:54:37 AM »
The latter. When a consortium of a bazillion scientists agree this is fact, how can others just not believe it?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
....There is no climate lottery that we might win that will sort everything out......

Succinctly put.

guest4871

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2021, 02:51:23 PM »
The latter. When a consortium of a bazillion scientists agree this is fact, how can others just not believe it?

Like the bazillion scientists (of their day) who swore the world is flat?

Do scientists deal in fact?  :o

According to The Science Council:

A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, to make hypotheses and test them, to gain and share understanding and knowledge.

https://sciencecouncil.org/about-science/our-definition-of-a-scientist/

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »
Can't we just have personal jibes deleted.
If not why not just ignore those who post comments with which you frequently disagree.

+1

Tags: