Author Topic: How do we value our time?  (Read 3345 times)

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
Re: How do we value our time?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »
As for the environment and electric cars, no one gives a toss and it will be decades before they're even close to mainstream. There is a reason why petrol and diesel cars are so popular, becasuse they're the best.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »
Might I suggest that 150234's speedometer is somewhat optimistic. Mine reads 10% over. His would appear to be more than that.

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
Might I suggest that 150234's speedometer is somewhat optimistic. Mine reads 10% over. His would appear to be more than that.
I mean, you wouldn't know about my car. Top speed quoted by Honda is 108 and spedo reads 110 so pretty close. As for the 122mph, a long decent at 1 in 16 will certainly give you some overspeed, 12mph to be exact. Pushing close to 7k rpm at that speed.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2021, 03:31:22 PM »
Do you ever get the situation where you want to post a reply, but you're just lost for words as replying to some who post annoying drivel is just pointless ?
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2021, 03:59:30 PM »
Do you ever get the situation where you want to post a reply, but you're just lost for words as replying to some who post annoying drivel is just pointless ?
Nearly. But I couldn't help myself.

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
As for the environment and electric cars, no one gives a toss and it will be decades before they're even close to mainstream. There is a reason why petrol and diesel cars are so popular, becasuse they're the best.
I agree that they are the best but their days are numbered because a lot of people, particularly younger ones, do give a toss about the environment.  Meanwhile, one of the least painful changes we can make is to limit speeds to 60 mph maximum.  This will cost us a bit of our time, but save us money.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
Set a 60mph limit and legislate that speedometers can show a max of 60.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
Comparing 200 miles at 70mph and 50 mpg with 200 miles at 60 mph and 60 mpg saves half an hour of journey time and costs an extra £4 in fuel, valuing our time at £8 per hour, about the minimum wage.  If the government is serious about reducing emissions, a national 60 mph speed limit would make a significant difference.  It would also reduce the frequency and severity of road accidents.  Probably not a vote winner though!
Absolutley not. If anything happens to UK speed limits they should be increased to 80 at least. Ideally the outside lane would be derestricted and allow people to get on a bit.

Let's be honest, 70 is trundling and 80 is hardly pushing on.

If speed limit increased to 80, cars would do 90 ( speed limit at 70 now and most cars do 80 ).  De-restricting the outside lane would result in horrific crashes as people in centre lane pull out at say 70 to overtake, and a car in that lane doing 120.  Things go wrong frighteningly fast at 70, at 90+ most drivers could not react in time.  Everyone thinks they are are a great driver ( until the laws of physics prove them wrong ) but we share the roads with a lot of other people, and their safety should be our number one priority.  Road deaths in Germany significantly higher than in UK, I wonder why ?  If people want us to take global warming seriously they there are great fuel savings to be made by lowering the speed limits,  electric cars do not like motorways,  the remaining battery power meter drops like a stone in freefall at motorway speeds.   The Jazz that went Lands End to John O'Groats on a single tank of fuel stuck to around 40mph. 

I am beginning to suspect 150234 is a provocative troll... just my opinion ATM.
There is plenty of rubbish to pick apart here.

Most cars would indeed do 90 but we would get places far faster and you don't have to do 90 if you don't want to, there are two others lanes with slower moving vehicles for those stuck in the 1980's to enjoy.

As for things going wrong fast, I disagree massively. They just don't. Everyone bangs on about 70 mph and how fast it is, but next time you're doing 70 look at a gantry or a sign a long way ahead and watch how long it takes to come at you. Even closer range stuff like the catseyes don't come at you fast, let alone a car doing 20mph less than you. 70mph really isn't that fast and it's surprising how long stuff takes to come at you.

120mph is unrealistic for many as either their cars won't do it or they just couldn't bring themselfs to do it. In reality on a derestriced motorway most people are two much of a fanny to do much more than 90 anyway. Look at the Honda Jazz. Tops out at 110 on the flat (although on a long steep down hill I did once get 122 which was interesting) so very few people will ever achieve that.

As for sharing roads with others, if you move into the outside lane without correctly judging the overspeed of the approaching car, that's not the 120mph cars fault, it's yours, plain and simple. If people could drive we could all do 100 but because some people make a right meal out of driving we are all at a crawl.

Car crumple zones, seatbelts and airbags are constantly getting better and so it car safety in general or why aren't we upgrading out roads to suit?

Plenty of rubbish to pick apart here too.

Why oh why do you want to do 120mph? Our motorways are not racetracks.
If a car pulls out in front you, when your in the outside lane doing 120mph and an accident results, then it is your fault plain and simple, since in the UK, you would be breaking the speed limit.
If that accident resulted in serious injury or death, you would deserve a prison sentence.
Better to be late in this life, than early in the next!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:03:46 PM by Kenneve »

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2021, 05:15:02 PM »
Comparing 200 miles at 70mph and 50 mpg with 200 miles at 60 mph and 60 mpg saves half an hour of journey time and costs an extra £4 in fuel, valuing our time at £8 per hour, about the minimum wage.  If the government is serious about reducing emissions, a national 60 mph speed limit would make a significant difference.  It would also reduce the frequency and severity of road accidents.  Probably not a vote winner though!
Absolutley not. If anything happens to UK speed limits they should be increased to 80 at least. Ideally the outside lane would be derestricted and allow people to get on a bit.

Let's be honest, 70 is trundling and 80 is hardly pushing on.

If speed limit increased to 80, cars would do 90 ( speed limit at 70 now and most cars do 80 ).  De-restricting the outside lane would result in horrific crashes as people in centre lane pull out at say 70 to overtake, and a car in that lane doing 120.  Things go wrong frighteningly fast at 70, at 90+ most drivers could not react in time.  Everyone thinks they are are a great driver ( until the laws of physics prove them wrong ) but we share the roads with a lot of other people, and their safety should be our number one priority.  Road deaths in Germany significantly higher than in UK, I wonder why ?  If people want us to take global warming seriously they there are great fuel savings to be made by lowering the speed limits,  electric cars do not like motorways,  the remaining battery power meter drops like a stone in freefall at motorway speeds.   The Jazz that went Lands End to John O'Groats on a single tank of fuel stuck to around 40mph. 

I am beginning to suspect 150234 is a provocative troll... just my opinion ATM.
There is plenty of rubbish to pick apart here.

Most cars would indeed do 90 but we would get places far faster and you don't have to do 90 if you don't want to, there are two others lanes with slower moving vehicles for those stuck in the 1980's to enjoy.

As for things going wrong fast, I disagree massively. They just don't. Everyone bangs on about 70 mph and how fast it is, but next time you're doing 70 look at a gantry or a sign a long way ahead and watch how long it takes to come at you. Even closer range stuff like the catseyes don't come at you fast, let alone a car doing 20mph less than you. 70mph really isn't that fast and it's surprising how long stuff takes to come at you.

120mph is unrealistic for many as either their cars won't do it or they just couldn't bring themselfs to do it. In reality on a derestriced motorway most people are two much of a fanny to do much more than 90 anyway. Look at the Honda Jazz. Tops out at 110 on the flat (although on a long steep down hill I did once get 122 which was interesting) so very few people will ever achieve that.

As for sharing roads with others, if you move into the outside lane without correctly judging the overspeed of the approaching car, that's not the 120mph cars fault, it's yours, plain and simple. If people could drive we could all do 100 but because some people make a right meal out of driving we are all at a crawl.

Car crumple zones, seatbelts and airbags are constantly getting better and so it car safety in general or why aren't we upgrading out roads to suit?

Plenty of rubbish to pick apart here too.

Why oh why do you want to do 120mph? Our motorways are not racetracks.
If a car pulls out in front you, when your in the outside lane doing 120mph and an accident results, then it is your fault plain and simple, since in the UK, you would be breaking the speed limit.
If that accident resulted in serious injury or death, you would deserve a prison sentence.
Better to be late in this life, than early in the next!
We were discussing a scenario where the outside lane was derestrictedm not in normal times. Why oh why would you not want to do 120mph? It would be the 120mph car fault tho would it, because you cannot prove the speed of the approaching car. People should check their mirrors and judge speed.

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2021, 05:24:58 PM »
Who cares whose fault it is if you’re dead or in hospital!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2021, 05:45:08 PM »
If you can do a max of 70 in lane 2 then you could be moving into lane 3 at 50 mph below the speed of an overtaking car. It's a fact of human make up we have difficulty judging speed of something approaching or going away from you. Even a racing driver finds this difficult.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »

We were discussing a scenario where the outside lane was derestrictedm not in normal times. Why oh why would you not want to do 120mph? It would be the 120mph car fault tho would it, because you cannot prove the speed of the approaching car. People should check their mirrors and judge speed.

It is pretty hard to judge speed looking through rear view mirrors, especially door mirrors as they make objects smaller to increase angle of view.  In USA all the door mirrors carry a warning on them 'objects may be closer than they appear'.

BTW, still think you are trolling....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2021, 06:10:29 PM »
I agree that they are the best but their days are numbered because a lot of people, particularly younger ones, do give a toss about the environment.  Meanwhile, one of the least painful changes we can make is to limit speeds to 60 mph maximum.  This will cost us a bit of our time, but save us money.

60 mph limit would not cost you as much time as you think,  at steady speed the difference traveling 50 miles at 60mph = 50 mins,  at 70 mph = 43 mins,  so about 7 minutes, which is nothing really.  May be less concertina waves and stoppages at 60 as well, so it may actually work out quicker at 60.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »

Hope you never find out what crumple zones, airbags and seatbelts are for, not so much for you, but for the poor people who have to share the roads with you.   Problem with all the safety stuff is that people in tin boxes do feel invulnerable, which is a really bad thing as it means they take chances they should not.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
Well said culzean

Tags:

anything