Author Topic: Delivery miles anyone?  (Read 2923 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Re: Delivery miles anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »
My 53 plate SE Sport was pre-reg and had 7 miles on delivery, 4 on the day I test drove it the week before.

So was the test drive something you demanded before agreeing to buy? didn't know you could do that with the very same car you buy, thought it just arrived on site after PDI, you inspected it, and drove away!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 12:32:54 PM »
My Mk2 Jazz EX had about 2300. It was an ex-demonstrator in a rural area.  ;D

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 02:55:43 PM »
The definition of a "Demonstrator" is loose,  it can be anything, it can be a genuine  car dedicated for the sole  purpose of test drives,   it can be a ex-employee's  car after a downsize of employees in the dealership, it may be the car of the dealer principles wife,  demonstrators are "fair game" for an employee who needs to borrow a car for a weekend away, there is also stock cycling or churning, I knew of a dealership senior manager who had 16 Peugeot 205 cars in 3 years, after his short period of use, the car would be go on sale,  Some demonstrators are sales-timelocked,  they can be sold but not released to the buyer until the timelock expires, the timelock can have a duration of  several months

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2021, 04:43:32 PM »
The definition of a "Demonstrator" is loose,  it can be anything, it can be a genuine  car dedicated for the sole  purpose of test drives,   it can be a ex-employee's  car after a downsize of employees in the dealership, it may be the car of the dealer principles wife,  demonstrators are "fair game" for an employee who needs to borrow a car for a weekend away, there is also stock cycling or churning, I knew of a dealership senior manager who had 16 Peugeot 205 cars in 3 years, after his short period of use, the car would be go on sale,  Some demonstrators are sales-timelocked,  they can be sold but not released to the buyer until the timelock expires, the timelock can have a duration of  several months

Mine was definitely a demonstrator. It had white PVC "Jazz Hands" decals all over it when it was the car I took a test drive in.

IIRC, the dealership doesn't have to pay the VAT on a demonstrator car unless they hold on to it for more than 6 months.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
My 53 plate SE Sport was pre-reg and had 7 miles on delivery, 4 on the day I test drove it the week before.

So was the test drive something you demanded before agreeing to buy? didn't know you could do that with the very same car you buy, thought it just arrived on site after PDI, you inspected it, and drove away!

It was an approved used car, pre-registered by Honda UK and sitting on the dealer's forecourt.

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
[qi once
I do not know of a definition of delivery miles, pre-sale  storage conditions may be important, I recall a country walk in Surrey nr Guildford  and coming across around 40 new Austin Rovers cars stored in a Wood,  Protected in factory wax but mud everywhere half way up the wheels,  I lived near a VW distribution compound, workers would transfer  brand new cars from a rail delivery point to the compound, workers were obviously on piece rates,new  cars were driven flat out, workers would take a car home every night on trade plates, they would be driven flat out along the main road from the centre to the nearest town which mocked the running in of a new engine.
Some makers set the car mileometer to read a high number which rolls over to zero during a road test, I think it was Renault or BMEW

i remember back in the early 70s when i was a long distance trucker i had a delivery in newcastle u tyne i picked a plater from oxford who was a few hours over his normal time ,he had delivered an Ital that had broken down on route ,that car had more than 10/20 miles on it but that was standard delivery practice back then i gave the guy a lift almost to his home as i lived only a few miles away from him    e author=Gas Jazz link=topic=13444.msg103252#msg103252 date=1627378485]
My experience of “delivery miles” has typically ranged between about 10 and 20 miles although I would have preferred it to be less!

One deal that failed to materialise was when I tried to order an Audi TT from my local dealer.  The salesman found one in Audi new stock he could reserve.  I said I would be happy if it was perfect and the mileage was below 10.

His response was a new car can have up to 300 miles and he wasn’t prepared to either guarantee or even check the mileage before reserving.  Needless to say I walked away.

Not sure whether the “300 miles” is enshrined in law somewhere or he made it up either way there is now way I would take delivery of a car with that mileage unless I was buying it as pre registered or similar with a huge discount.
[/quote]

Thingy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
When I collected my car on Monday it had 15 miles showing. Looking at the satnav it had been to a petrol station a few miles away. It had half a tank of fuel.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 02:02:00 PM »
Back in the 60s my dad had a mate who always bought new cars. He would insist on picking them up from the factory. The days when we had a motor industry.

sportse

• Approved Member
Delivery miles anyone?
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »
Mine had 8 miles on delivery, including them filling it with fuel so reasonable.

I seem to remember reading a while ago that dealers for some manufacturers used to be able to reset a cars mileage to zero if it is below a certain total (100?), but this can only be done once.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 05:40:42 PM »
Today we collected our Jazz, it showed 12 kilometers (7,5 miles).
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »
9 miles on mine.

On 19 now.
Let's be careful out there !

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
Mine was 3 too.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
15 miles on ours
Neil Ives

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 08:22:27 PM »
My new, 2013 Toyota Yaris, had 43 miles indicated. Driven here, (Chesterfield), from Nottingham.

Pre-reg, 2015 Honda Jazz, had 40 miles indicated. Driven here, from Nottingham.

New, 2018 Honda Jazz, had 80 miles indicated. Driven here, from Bolton.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
My new Crosstar had 10 miles.

Tags:

anything