Author Topic: Road Departure Mitigation system  (Read 3565 times)

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
Road Departure Mitigation system
« on: July 20, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
Is there any way of turning this off permanently?

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Road Departure Mitigation system
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:05:43 PM »
Is there any way of turning this off permanently?
No, if you want it turned off it has to be done each time the car is started

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »
That's annoying, it's getting on my nerves.. >:(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
When I went on the test drive last week I didn't touch anything as I didn't want to fiddle with what I wasn't familiar with.

Never had any auto braking or steering interruptions. I did have a couple of beeps which I guess was me changing lanes without indicating because I had no other vehicles behind.
Let's be careful out there !

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 02:19:18 PM »
Road Departure Mitigation system is really annoying probably the most annoying feature on the MK4 Jazz,  around town  bus stop white lines and other white lines or even road repairs trigger the system. Turning the system off for each journey is not really practical as it is buried in the menu system.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »
There's another post on this subject where the procedure to turn it off is done in three clicks.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
This is just another barrier to safe driving, so called safety systems that are anything but that. It is the same as with touch screens, how any car company can think that touch screens are as safe as physical buttons for adjusting everyday functions is beyond me; I guess it is cheaper to use a touch screen but where are the authorities that award safety star ratings to cars? Are they so blinded by technical “ “advances” like Road Departure Mitigation Systems that they have lost sight of the basics? if they downgraded cars safety ratings because of touch screen access then we would soon get out manual buttons back!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 04:13:01 PM »
Yes, the other post which includes the saga about RDMS is under- 'Would you buy another Mk4'
It very much depends on the type of road you are driving on.
There is no problem on motorways and/or main roads.
It is narrow country roads where the problem is noticed.

If you see a car coming the other way on a narrow road, you move over towards the kerb/verge to allow sufficient room.
To have the 'Hand of God' grab the steering wheel and try to turn you back, into the path of the approaching car is not funny!! Could be an accident waiting to happen!
I now, as a matter of habit,  turn RDMS off each time when I get into the car, but occasionally I forget!!!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
Yes, the other post which includes the saga about RDMS is under- 'Would you buy another Mk4'
It very much depends on the type of road you are driving on.
There is no problem on motorways and/or main roads.
It is narrow country roads where the problem is noticed.

If you see a car coming the other way on a narrow road, you move over towards the kerb/verge to allow sufficient room.
To have the 'Hand of God' grab the steering wheel and try to turn you back, into the path of the approaching car is not funny!! Could be an accident waiting to happen!
I now, as a matter of habit,  turn RDMS off each time when I get into the car, but occasionally I forget!!!
RDMS etc. are universal on new cars to get a 5* safety rating so no escape from them. Just hope that no-one has to be killed on a minor road because RDMS pushed them under a tractor before some common sense prevails. It is the young inexperienced driver I worry about, old codgers like us have the experience to be safe but a 17 or 18 year old doesn't.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:45:20 PM »
This is just another barrier to safe driving, so called safety systems that are anything but that. It is the same as with touch screens, how any car company can think that touch screens are as safe as physical buttons for adjusting everyday functions is beyond me; I guess it is cheaper to use a touch screen but where are the authorities that award safety star ratings to cars? Are they so blinded by technical “ “advances” like Road Departure Mitigation Systems that they have lost sight of the basics? if they downgraded cars safety ratings because of touch screen access then we would soon get out manual buttons back!
You don't normally need to use the touch screen while driving, everything's available via the steering column or physical switches. The RDMS doesn't come on that often and can be overridden by firmly gripping the steering wheel on the rare occasions it gives you unwanted input.

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 10:53:10 PM »
Mine must be overly sensitive.. :(

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 07:40:44 AM »
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity via the touch screen, as I found this reduced the number of false triggers on country roads?
Previously I received a succession of alerts but these have reduced to the occasional alert once I’d reduced the sensitivity.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:51:40 AM by IanG »

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
Yes, tried that.. :(

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »
You don't normally need to use the touch screen while driving, everything's available via the steering column or physical switches. The RDMS doesn't come on that often and can be overridden by firmly gripping the steering wheel on the rare occasions it gives you unwanted input.

Agreed with the Jazz, However, I was making a general point as most new cars have essential items like changing the temperature etc. controlled by touch screens. Having to delve through menus to find a touch screen control is inevitably more distracting than feeling for a knob without having to take your eyes off the road.

Jeff15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »
I don't know how, but having had a fiddle with the various menus I seem to have solved my problem.

Tags:

anything