Author Topic: Engine cuts out phone sound when USB connected  (Read 1167 times)

flingel

• Registered Member
Engine cuts out phone sound when USB connected
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
My cousin has a 2019 Honda Jazz 1.5 Sport. When she connects her iPhone to the USB (which she only wants to do to keep it charged whilst using her phone for satnav), the sound from her iPhone is fine until she switches the engine on and then sound on the iphone is cut out. If you switch the engine off but ignition still on, that's fine, sound comes back, but switch the engine on again and it's gone. All her Honda garage will say is that it must be a problem with the phone.

I met up with her yesterday and had a go at trying to resolve, I too have an iPhone but had exactly the same result. I wondered if it might be to do with the Google Maps app as that is what she wants to hear when driving, but on both our phones I also tried other apps such as playing a video on Youtube and same result, sound cuts out as soon as engine on.

So I then wondered if it was something in the Honda audio settings that might be causing it - eg could it be that the sound should be coming through the car's audio somehow. I confess to not being familiar with a Honda Jazz but when I tapped on USB on the screen, it told me nothing was connected.

So I'm puzzled! I've tried generally googling for this problem but could find nothing - and then found this forum. So please forgive if I'm not supposed to be here as I don't have a Honda Jazz but I'm just trying to help my cousin out.

Has anyone come across this problem and if so, is there a solution? Or any suggestions?

Thanks

Flingel

TonyO

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
Re: Engine cuts out phone sound when USB connected
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:45:53 AM »
I had to turn Bluetooth off on my phone in order to hear satnav audio from the phone.  I honestly don't know why, I just know it worked.

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply but I forgot to add previously that we had turned all bluetooth off as that is also what she had been advised.

Flingel

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »
I would just add - and I confess that I'm not mechanically minded at all so I'm probably talking rubbish - but it does seem strange to me that it's fine when the ignition is on but not when you do that one more turn to switch the engine on. I would have thought that if you've got the ignition on, everything "non motor" should be working however it's going to be working and that turning the engine on shouldn't have changed anything electrically / electronically.

Flingel

guest9236

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
My cousin has a 2019 Honda Jazz 1.5 Sport. When she connects her iPhone to the USB (which she only wants to do to keep it charged whilst using her phone for satnav), the sound from her iPhone is fine until she switches the engine on and then sound on the iphone is cut out. If you switch the engine off but ignition still on, that's fine, sound comes back, but switch the engine on again and it's gone. All her Honda garage will say is that it must be a problem with the phone.

I met up with her yesterday and had a go at trying to resolve, I too have an iPhone but had exactly the same result. I wondered if it might be to do with the Google Maps app as that is what she wants to hear when driving, but on both our phones I also tried other apps such as playing a video on Youtube and same result, sound cuts out as soon as engine on.

So I then wondered if it was something in the Honda audio settings that might be causing it - eg could it be that the sound should be coming through the car's audio somehow. I confess to not being familiar with a Honda Jazz but when I tapped on USB on the screen, it told me nothing was connected.

So I'm puzzled! I've tried generally googling for this problem but could find nothing - and then found this forum. So please forgive if I'm not supposed to be here as I don't have a Honda Jazz but I'm just trying to help my cousin out.

Has anyone come across this problem and if so, is there a solution? Or any suggestions?

Thanks

Flingel

We select Bluetooth on Screen  and leave Bluetooth enabled on IPhone  this enables phone to be used as it should be   On making hands free calls  this comes through vehicle speakers so I fail to understand why you are in a quandary.hope this may be of assistance
We have on occasion used a Sat Nav app on IPhone  very successfully with sound via vehicles sound system. Including volume control, this might of course be that you are using Google and Honda is adverse to this action I believe, although this is purely a personal indication.
Hope you solve your  conundrum.

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 05:19:40 PM »
Thank you for reply. I think she's tried that but maybe not. I will get her to do that and see if it works.

Flingel

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 02:12:28 AM »
I suggest you get a cheap cigarette lighter USB adapter and power the phone from that. There should be no interaction with the car then if you have Bluetooth off. Just power.

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
Thanks for that suggestion, sounds like a good idea if no other solution :)

Flingel

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »
This might be a bit of a long shot, but there are settings in Google Maps that control whether it sends instructions via Bluetooth. Open Maps, go to Settings, then Navigation Settings. It's possible that the phone is trying to send audio via Bluetooth but if there's nothing connected then nothing will come out. Might be worth some experimentation, although it wouldn't explain the engine on/off thing or why it happens with other apps as well.

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »
Thank you ColinB. Good point, I will also suggest that to her.

Flingel

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'm afraid still nothing worked that needed interaction with the car but she's gone with the cigarette lighter USB adapter and she's delighted to find that gives her what she wants so thank you very much richardfrost for that   :)

Flingel

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »
Reading the online manual P242 & P288 the front USB ports have 2 different functions.

Have you tried both.

IIRC the left one is 1.0A for just charging and the right 2.5A one is for connecting the phone to the car for things like Android Auto, etc so does semi take over the phone ?
Let's be careful out there !

flingel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 11:28:36 AM »
Thanks Kremmen, I didn't see the other USB port but will check out next time I see her.

Flingel

Tags:

anything