Author Topic: rear tow eye removal  (Read 1133 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
rear tow eye removal
« on: July 06, 2021, 05:07:31 PM »
has anyone else removed this bar at the back of the car that seems to like to rust from the ends and behind the welds and then spread onto the under body of the car ? and if you did remove it how did you cut through the 4 welds without cutting into the car body

i have seen a few pics on here and elsewhere and i dont want mine to get as bad as those pics

i wish it had a tow eye little cut out in the bumper like the mk2 that you screwed the eye into like on the front but instead they put a cheap bar of metal that isnt treated like the rest of the car for rust it seems

thanks

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: rear tow eye removal
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
Surely it would be better to treat it with a rust inhibitor, something like a paint on underseal or zinc rich paint.
If you remove it the bare metal would need to be treated to keep out the rust anyway.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:22:01 PM »
Surely it would be better to treat it with a rust inhibitor, something like a paint on underseal or zinc rich paint.
If you remove it the bare metal would need to be treated to keep out the rust anyway.

thanks for the reply

the rust is just on the bar not the car body and i have seen some really shocking rust spots on pictures that other people have posted because of this tow eye and the rest of the car is rust free

i have treated it as best i can with some rust eater and primed and painted it but it is the top of the bar inside the back bumper so it it tight to work in that area and i dont want to remove the bumper, i will see how it goes for now i suppose
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:13:19 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »
If you never use it then slabber it in thick grease.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 08:14:47 PM »
If you never use it then slabber it in thick grease.

if the rust comes back (probably will) then i will try that, do you think that would stop the rust from spreading?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
Keeps oxygen out and rust needs oxygen.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Grease will wash off. Properly treated with rust inhibitor and then topped off with underseal or zinc rich paint has to be the best way permanent way to treat the problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 08:35:15 PM »
Grease will wash off.
Maybe, but anyone who had an old car with grease points will know that excess grease remains on the underside of the car for several years.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 10:08:05 PM »
thanks for the help guys i will see how it goes for now that i have used rust eater and primed and painted it

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:14:41 PM »
Grease will wash off.
Maybe, but anyone who had an old car with grease points will know that excess grease remains on the underside of the car for several years.

I use motorbike chain spray under cars ( which I have for motorbikes anyway, so why not use it ) it goes on thin and seeps into cracks and then dries real sticky ( it has to so that it does not fling off the chain when it is whizzing around ).  Use it on any exposed brake pipe, any exposed nuts and electrical plugs ( it is rubber friendly because motorbike chains have 'O' rings to keep grease in ) and the exposed handbrake spring and pivot.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 10:07:45 AM »
I use motorbike chain spray
Can I ask which one you favour?

Tags:

anything