Author Topic: New Crosstar this week - First Impressions  (Read 3386 times)

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
New Crosstar this week - First Impressions
« on: June 18, 2021, 06:49:19 PM »
Picked up my surf blue Crosstar on Wednesday this week.  Since - done about 150 miles at an ave of approx 62mpg mixed driving, high 75mpg, low 42mpg.
so far have totally enjoyed the car, and will try to break down my first impressions

GOOD POINTS :D
-car looks great in surf blue
-small vehicle but huge on the inside
-high perceived quality from drivers seat, nice materials, puts a smile on my face
-fantastic view especially to the front
-nice ride quality for a small vehicle
-already amazing economy, and sure to get even better as it beds in
-loads of room for stuff
-great back seat space
-front seats firm but comfortable
-no rattles
-very hi-tech
-feels like a quality car
-infotainment surprisingly good, response to finger press pretty good i think
-easy to operate infotainment from drivers seat
-steering wheel buttons easy enough to fathom, feel positive and good quality
-love the hybrid system slickness, very smooth
-interesting car to drive, there's a lot to learn about, which i like, but you can just jump in and drive it too without too many distractions if you want
-underfloor box in boot is great for walking boots
-headlights and auto function seems great, as do wipers
-stereo superb

POTENTIAL ISSUES  :o - bear in mind i'm new to the vehicle, so some of these may get ironed out as i learn, or get used to it
-still not 100% on the driving position, i'm comfortable but it doesn't feel quite right for some reason, im pretty sure i'll adapt to this though
-electronic hand brake is even confusing after reading the manual.  in my Golf, you set it on once, and press auto,and then you never have to do anything again, it holds when you stop in any circumstance, plus when you switch off.  on the crosstar, i dont get how theyve set it up, but i cant see a way yet of making this fully automatic.  im assuming you -always need to set the parking brake manually before you switch off?
-honda plus app and voice commands.  i thought that the car responded to voice commands using the steering wheel button.  well it does on android auto, and as i use this all the time, its ok.  but i cant get anything useful to work using the command 'ok honda', and when i hit personal assistant on the menu i get a no subscription warning, so this is i assume, a further cost option, which i didn't realise
-RDMS system is totally unsuited to driving in the country location and narrow lanes where i live.  to be fair i knew about this before buying, and im happy that i can turn it off if i need to.

150 miles is not much time to make a proper evaluation, so i'll add to this as i make some long trips - doing a 500 mile one next week for example

overall - delighted with my purchase ;D ;D ;D

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: New Crosstar this week - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 07:36:13 PM »
There is an automatic parking brake feature which I think is switched on by default (it explains in the handbook). If it's enabled the parking brake is applied automatically when the car is switched off. I have disabled the facility as I park mine in the garage at home and don't need the parking brake left on for potentially several days at a time.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »
I just apply the handbrake when I think it's appropriate. The convenience is the auto release when wanting to move. I think the transmission to the front wheels is locked when the gear shift is in P while the electronic parking brake works on the back wheels. I don't use the latter when parked at home on flat ground. However, I did use it when parked at a friend's house where there's a horribly steep slope.

Regarding the driving position, I'm fairly short but like the seat high resulting on too much pressure on my thighs. I needed to add a thin cushion to make myself comfortable.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »
Similarly, I'm still experimenting with the driving position. The lumbar support in the seat seems to be missing.

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 11:03:20 PM »
I seem to be ok with the lumbar support, its more to with the seat being fairly flat and my legs being on the longer side  :o.  its gradually feeling more comfortable, so think it'll be ok.   8)

still experimenting with the parking brake  :-\ ::)

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
So -  managed to sort out stuff with the new Crosstar  :D :D

1. Electronic hand brake and auto hold - finally got the hang of it.  the way its been designed is illogical, but once you've got the procedure down, its ok

2. Disable the RDMS as a matter of course each I get in the car.  will use it if on a motorway trip

3 Driving position, finding more comfortable now, after a couple hundred miles - 500 mile trip coming up, so we'll see how that goes, will see if I can voice-actuate the phone on this trip.  should be ok on android auto

Loads of plusses - loving the car so far - calming to drive and excellent economy

how do people find the adaptive cruise?  its quite sharp on acceleration and braking when engaged  :o - is there a way of softening the response, via the settings?  I cant find any reference to this in the handbook, so maybe not?

cheers folks!  8)

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:32:14 PM »
how do people find the adaptive cruise?  its quite sharp on acceleration and braking when engaged  :o - is there a way of softening the response, via the settings?  I cant find any reference to this in the handbook, so maybe not?

I agree it is quite harsh on busy motorways with lots of traffic doing lane changes, even at the longest following distance.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »
I've setup the auto-parking brake using the procedure in the manual as by default it was disabled, after that I rarely had to use the lever, just when I'm stopping and keeping the car on for the A/C.

Concerning the seating position, it took me 6 months to find the right one, so you still have plenty of time  ;D
I'm 1.84m and found the best compromise with the seat in the lowest position, at the beginning I was keeping the seat a bit higher, but the horizontal part was becoming too horizontal and so my legs where slippering, now it's perfect, I've driven 2-3 hours without any discomfort.

Concerning the ACC, yes it's a bit harsh at high speeds, in traffic instead is very good, as it doesn't give any opportunity for cars in the other lane to jump on mine.

Concerning the voice commands, there are two different "commands" associated to the same button.
By pressing the button you activate the car standard command, instead if you keep it pressed for a little longer, it will activate the "Honda assistant" which I haven't subscribed to, or Google or Siri depending which phone is connected to the car.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:43:26 AM by Zaier »

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Re ACC being harsh on acceleration I agree, next time I'm going to switch the ECO button on to see if that makes a difference

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
Re ACC being harsh on acceleration I agree, next time I'm going to switch the ECO button on to see if that makes a difference
That's with Eco on!

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 10:18:35 PM »
thanks for the responses. ;D  Yes I have the eco switched on too, and it still seems a bit harsh on acceleration, under ACC.  On my Golf - you can go into settings and configure the car's responses to make the acceleration nice and gentle when you press 'RESUME' if you like - I thought the Crosstar might have something similar configurable, but cant find it, so maybe not. 

anyway - just a slight drawback on what is really a very well designed car for the most part.  and I agree, the ACC seems better at lower speeds 

:D :D

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 11:14:02 PM »
...and I agree, the ACC seems better at lower speeds 

That also seems to apply to fuel consumption... :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 08:42:12 AM »
...and I agree, the ACC seems better at lower speeds 

That also seems to apply to fuel consumption... :D

I used to like driving auto cars that you could press the 'res' or 'acc' button from standstill and it would take the car from zero to set speed... they spoiled that by making cars where cruise control only engages from around 20 mph.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:40 AM »
I used to like driving auto cars that you could press the 'res' or 'acc' button from standstill and it would take the car from zero to set speed... they spoiled that by making cars where cruise control only engages from around 20 mph.
The Mk4 will do that (cruise from stopped). The minimum settable speed is 18mph.

Gas Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None - considering a Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
Hi All

My first post so maybe a bit cheeky hopping on the end of this one but as it relates to “first impressions” I thought it appropriate:

I am considering a Crosstar ( in 2006 I had a Mk1 Jazz) and had a 20 min test drive today - l loved everything about it apart from the following:

1. Lack of passenger seat adjustment - particularly as the seat is set strangely low but not a deal breaker
2. The hard acceleration experience - more noise than “go” - probably me needing to adjust to the car characteristics
3. Biggest issue, at 70mph I could feel high frequency vibration through the steering wheel - I only had a brief motorway stint ( couple of miles) so I’m hoping it may be that I didn’t allow the car to “relax” at that speed post acceleration.

Items 1 and 2 are what they are but what are your views about item 3? 

- I plan to have a longer test drive in the future but would be very interested in your views.

Thank you for your help

Tags: