Author Topic: Cooling for the Hybrid Battery  (Read 4498 times)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
Cooling for the Hybrid Battery
« on: May 25, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
A key technique for slowing down the degradation of BEV batteries is a system to actively keep the batteries temperatures from getting too high. This may be done by either liquid or air cooling.

The same technique is used for hybrid batteries to slow down degradation; for example, the Toyota Prius uses an air cooling system where a fan sucks in internal cabin air and blows it out externally. Initially the air intake did not have a filter but after some years Toyota added an intake filter to stop dust accumulating on the battery cells as the dust reduced the cooling efficiency of the air.

So does anyone know if the Jazz Mk4 has a fan cooling system to keep the hybrid battery cool? I can't find any information on the internet which explicitly describes the hybrid battery cooling system with useful details like:
* the location of the air intake duct and the air exhaust duct
* whether the air intake has a replaceable filter

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
Re: Cooling for the Hybrid Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
I believe the boot mounted hybrid battery has cooling ducks at the sides of the rear seat base, which must remain unobstructed.
I don't think they have any forced air fan cooling and unaware of any filters being installed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
I believe the boot mounted hybrid battery has cooling ducks at the sides of the rear seat base, which must remain unobstructed.

How do the cooling Ducks know when to flap their wings ?  ( guess you are another victim of the dreaded auto-correct )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 12:00:04 PM »

How do the cooling Ducks know when to flap their wings ?  ( guess you are another victim of the dreaded auto-correct )

If I owned one I would take a gander to see if it too had ducks ;)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
Fowl language aside, the battery cooling ducts are between the rear passenger seats and the rear doors.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »
The IMA Hybrid Mark 2 had a cooling fan  but no filter (so it tends to block up after a few years).
So hard to believe the Mark 4 does not.

(Renault Zoe has no fan: hence battery degradation is high)

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »
Check out the hybrid teardown available at this topic https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12712.msg92419#msg92419  ;)
In contrast with the latest Toyota, Jazz doesn't have any cooling filter, so I've made one by myself starting from a sheet of motorcycle foam filter.

PaulC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »
Zaier,
thanks for the link to the electrics information. This enabled me to understand how the cooling is done and where the input and output air ducts are located.
I will consider add a low airflow resistance filter to the mouth of the input duct.

It seems to me that the Honda engineers are relying on the cabin air filter to purify the air sucked into the cooling system and assuming that drivers do not wind down the car windows. Given our car will be used to haul bags of compost and firewood logs in the back with the rear seats down, an extra filter is needed.
Paul

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 05:37:35 AM »
Agree, as Toyota learned from time to time, the cabin gets dirty for a variety of reasons so that is better to have a dedicated filter instead of relying on the cabin air one only.
I've popped out mine after 4 months, and there were already some dirt, even if it was winter here, so the cooling worked just occasionally.
Consider also that my daughter seats near the air inlet, and from time to time she brings in some glittered toy, which I find spread all over the car the following days

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Apologies for the duck vs duct error.
I felt it a little drafty in the rear (no ‘Carry On’ jokes please) but found the attached product solved the issue!

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »
Yesterday I vacuumed the car, and took the occasion to remove and clean my self-made battery air filter.
It was not so dirty, but there were some dust so it's doing something.

guest9814

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
The IMA Hybrid Mark 2 had a cooling fan  but no filter (so it tends to block up after a few years).
So hard to believe the Mark 4 does not.

(Renault Zoe has no fan: hence battery degradation is high)
When i wanted to buy Renault ZOE i checked this, if remember correctly there air cooling for battery, and A/C duct goes directly in to battery.

PaulC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 09:56:30 PM »
Zaier,
thanks for the photos of your DIY filter as it gives me an example as to how to make the filter.

This is such a simple and cheap modification that it puzzles me as to why Honda didn't add it as standard to the Jazz hybrid in the factory?

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 10:01:10 PM »
No idea, but it took ten years for Toyota to do the same, so Honda is still on schedule for the next generation of Jazz

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »
Yesterday I vacuumed the car, and took the occasion to remove and clean my self-made battery air filter.
It was not so dirty, but there were some dust so it's doing something.
Nice.
I would just try with a thinner filter material, maybe the tissue used for extactor fans in our kitchens, or other materials just to limit as little as possible the air flux. You only need to stop big pieces of dust, leaves, hairs, pieces of paper, glitters and similar, so also a mosquito net would be ok.
If your foam is enough permeable, please forget this message.

Tags:

anything