Author Topic: Budget tyre suggestions please  (Read 3104 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Budget tyre suggestions please
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 07:26:16 PM »
If your existing tyres show no sign of deterioration and have plenty of tread, I'd not bother replacing them.
I am riding on 14yr old tyres that are perfectly fine.

As for part worn, a cheap friend of mine has always bought part worn for the past 20 odd years I've known him and never had any problems.

You have absolutely no idea whether or not they have any deterioration, it isn't always obvious.

Some years ago I purchased a one owner 10 year old sports car with 8k miles on the clock fitted with original tyres. I asked my friend, who owned a garage, to replace them with new tyres. He firstly demonstrated to me why I should replace them, he bounced a new tyre down the garage and it flew up into the air and then did the same with the 10 year old tyre and it bounced about 6 inches from the floor. The tyre carcass had hardened over the years and they had lost flexibility and were fit for the bin. The difference in ride quality and steering feel was a revelation. Visual inspection proved nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:54:25 PM by UKjim »

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Re: Budget tyre suggestions please
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
Good to see there’s a good variation in views on tyres, exactly the same as in other car based forums infrequent!  Many thanks all. 👍

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
Don't know if it's still the case, but a lot of used tyres were imported from Germany where the laws on tyres fitted to a car are much stricter than here. It is not permitted to have different brands on an axle for example, and winter tyres are compulsory. I've certainly seen plenty of UK cars fitted with 3 "regular" and one winter tyre which almost certainly came from a "part worn" supplier.
As said by others, carcasses and rubber compounds harden with time, a 10yr old tyre may look perfectly OK but it won't perform like a new one regardless of the make or how it's been used or stored.
I recently changed the tyres on one of my bikes. It does few miles and while they were less than 1/2 worn they were about 7yrs old. Compared to the new ones the old tyres were like wood, pushing a thumbnail into the tread showed the old and new to be like chalk and cheese (or rubber and wood even).
If cost was crucial I would choose the cheapest new tyre rather than any used "part worn" item, but each to their own choice. I understand not everyone has the luxury of a few ££ spare cash.

Personally I tend to look at the marginal cost of things. I've made the mistake in the past of not paying an extra 10% for the premium brand, and regretting it. The more something costs the more inclined I am to paying extra for the premium version, I usually soon forget the extra cost but I'm reminded of the lower quality every time I use an item (a reworded version of a classic statement). Of course everyone has to work within their budget.

Remember, the tyres are what take you directly to the scene of the accident.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
I have wondered, given my recent experience with cheapo Chinese tyre on the old Astra I ran for 6 months, how they compare to branded technology of say 20yrs ago? Eg is todays Aptamy/Landsail etc as good as a Dunlop from year 2000? Are they really that bad?

Given the number of cars I see parked up with bald tyres, it's clear that for a fair proportion of the motoring public tyres are only checked at MOT time by the tester.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »
...I would never, ever buy part-worn tyres...just purchased a Honda Jazz 69 plate
You just purchased four part worn tyres.

The assumption seems to be that part worn tyres are half bald, have 18 puncture repairs and are some crappy brand. Well that is not always the case. I think you need to use a little common sense and don't let the tyre fitter shove any old thing on. For £25 per tyre, fitted, my lad is legal on the road. When the time comes, I will treat the Jazz to new shoes.
We had to part exchange our car during  the lockdown for a Honda Approved jazz with 20K. 4 months later it went in for the mot and needed 4 new tyres due to tread damage from possibly driving on sharp stones.. Whilst annoyed for being sold in this condition I was at least happy to have it rectified.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »
When I think of part-worn I don't mean those on a used car but those that have, for some unknown reason, been removed from a wheel and being sold separately  .......... why ?
Let's be careful out there !

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
I've found cheap Chinese unknown brands to be very long lasting but offer poor grip, particularly in the wet, presumably they use a cheaper rubber compound which has these attributes.

I bought an older Civic 2 years ago with 18” nearly new Landsail tyres all round on it, they seemed really good to be fair, I couldn't find any issues with them. I only changed them as I wanted to put on some standard 16" Honda alloys, I bought the Honda alloys 2nd hand with used tyres already on them, 2 needed replacing fairly soon afterwards due to punctures (just bad luck), I replaced them with Avon's from black circles (£110 for the pair) the other 2 original tyres are still on there providing good service, when they wear out I'll replace with Avon's to have them all the same.

The current owner of my old 2003 Jazz just replaced all 4 tyres on it with Bridgestones for £210, don't know where he got them.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
When I think of part-worn I don't mean those on a used car but those that have, for some unknown reason, been removed from a wheel and being sold separately  .......... why ?

I know there used to be a lot imported from Germany because they have a 3mm tread limit and replace sooner. Some Brits are happy to run on slicks!

I would have thought that another source would be salvage cars, written off by accident or mechanical. Doesn't take much to write a car off these days.

@MicktheMonster - I've bought Avon tyres many times. Always found them to be great.  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:55:14 PM by Westy36 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 04:42:48 PM »
@MicktheMonster - I've bought Avon tyres many times. Always found them to be great.  :D

We have Avon tyres on both cars and motorbikes, noticed that the Avons grip is great in the wet.   Avon Storm 3D are a great dual compound motorbike tyre ( the centre is harder than the shoulders to resist flattening of the tyre shape ) - some users report 12 to 15,000 miles from them - which is huge for motorbike rubber.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 05:39:46 PM »
Most tyres have a Tread Wear Rating on them.

Used mostly in USA but tyres (tires) don't mind what country they are in and tyres most have them marked on the tyre wall.

Much maligned in UK but a good guide to tyre wear none the less.

This is quite a good article on the subject:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/utqg-rating#:~:text=In%20basic%20terms%2C%20and%20in,a%20%22200%22%20rated%20tire.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
Most tyres have a Tread Wear Rating on them.

Used mostly in USA but tyres (tires) don't mind what country they are in and tyres most have them marked on the tyre wall.

Much maligned in UK but a good guide to tyre wear none the less.

This is quite a good article on the subject:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/utqg-rating#:~:text=In%20basic%20terms%2C%20and%20in,a%20%22200%22%20rated%20tire.

Higher treadwear usually means harder compound = less grip.  I used to get Michelin ES+ tyres when I did a lot of miles,  but did notice lack of grip in some situations ( ABS worked hard on damp / wet roads and VSA worked hard on pulling away on some junctions )  - now I am doing about 5K a year I find the Avon tyres hardly bother the ABS or VSA in same circumstances and places that Michelin tyres did, and as I use Nokian tyres for 6 months of the year the Avons will never wear out despite being a lower treadwear number.  I have deliberately done crash stops on wet roads with Avons and ABS hardly woke up, just one or two interventions,  doing the same with Michelins resulted in a lot more action.  The Avons steer better than the Michelins as well ( they always felt a bit 'squirmy' - maybe the super soft sidewall had something to do with it ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »
I think Culzean is spot on over the mileage/grip trade off. My annual mileage is so small that even the Dunlop SP2030s made of playdough are going to last me 4 years on the front.

One thing that's always interested me is this - how do car manufacturers allocate tyre brands? If you bought a new Mk3 in SE trim you would get Michelin Energy Savers. The EX comes with Dunlop SP2030s. The only theory I've come up with is that the SE has 15 inch wheels so the hardness of the Michelins have less of an effect on ride comfort. The EX has 16 inch wheels so a softer tyre is installed to mitigate the effect larger wheels can have on ride comfort.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
Car manufacturers (assemblers?) often don't put all their eggs in one basket so split suppliers between models. If you get a hold up in parts supply it doesn't necessarily bring the line to a halt if you have Just-in-time build (parts arrive for the cars as you build them, no significant stock held). They can switch build schedules.
I was never involved with chassis stuff at car manufacturers, but I know different markets had different tyres even for the same model/spec.

Tags:

anything