Author Topic: Car insurance renewal - sure been here before!  (Read 2059 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Car insurance renewal - sure been here before!
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »
Hi, & hope all are well! Am I making this more difficult than it actually is?

Got deluge of car ins quotes as due at end of May.
Current policy with 1st Central. Received renewal quote for £270.00
Comparison website gives quote - £227.00 - with same company 1st Central (don't want to know how/why comparison sites are different to same company renewal).

But, is it just a case of turning off auto renewal via phone/webchat (if I can get through!) and then purchasing cover through the comparison site, thereby saving £40?

I am prob making it more difficult than it actually is, but thanks for any comments/advice.

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
Re: Car insurance renewal - sure been here before!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
Hi, & hope all are well! Am I making this more difficult than it actually is?

Got deluge of car ins quotes as due at end of May.
Current policy with 1st Central. Received renewal quote for £270.00
Comparison website gives quote - £227.00 - with same company 1st Central (don't want to know how/why comparison sites are different to same company renewal).

But, is it just a case of turning off auto renewal via phone/webchat (if I can get through!) and then purchasing cover through the comparison site, thereby saving £40?

I am prob making it more difficult than it actually is, but thanks for any comments/advice.
Hi Spencer...I have had this too, several times, and have found that if you ring regarding your renewal quote and tell them that you've got a lower quote for the same, or similar policy, from a comparison website, they'll match it. Good luck...

Sent from my SM-T725 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:59:53 PM »
That happened to me last year. When I phoned my insurer (Sainsbury's Bank), the girl explained that they are a broker and my existing policy was with their old insurer and they had changed to a new company offering a cheaper rate. She cancelled my old policy with the original insurer and signed me up with the new insurer. I had nothing to do

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
In a case such as yours, it might be worth looking at the next company or two up the list to see if their policies offer better/more cover for only a few quid extra. Cheapest is not always best.

The last two policies I've purchased via https://www.confused.com/ and claimed the £20 reward they give. I've went for Halfords vouchers as they are useful.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
Hi All & Thank you for your replies!

After 2 hours on twitter messaging with 1st Central, the only way I can purchase the lower quotes that even they (1st Central) have come through via comparison sites is to speak with their renewal teams on phone on webchat on thier site in order to turn off the auto-renewal button! Why we are not able to do this via our 'portals' I do not know! So it seems, that unless I speak with renewals team I will be automatically charged the new higher quote of £270.00...which I think is a bit of a scam as have read messages of people not being able to get through to them after quite some time, either on phone or webchat. However, I will see how this part of the exercise goes.

As for checking the next couple of companies on comparison sites further down the list, they are all pretty much a like for like. It is always the point that quotes come through from comparison sites that are less than renewal and the hassle we all have to go through (or many of us anyway!) in order to gain the same level of cover at some times best part of £100 or more, savings.

So I expect some of my time will be trying to connect with 1st Central renewals turn off auto-renewal & purchase same deal via comaprison site for a few quid less.

I have just over fortnight to deal with this and will return to let you know results. Again, thank you for reading op and your constructive replies. Enjoy rest of the weekend.

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »
Make a habit, immediately you take out a new policy, to immediately cancel the "auto renewal" either in your online account or by phone.

Make a record of your action so that the following year you can remember that you did!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 07:45:26 PM »
By law renewals must show what you paid the previous year to compare with your renewal premium. I got my renewal today to find that the quoted premium paid last year was incorrect by nearly £80 too much but getting in touch with them proved impossible either by phone or on their website. I will try again tomorrow.
I think it is time that automatic renewals were banned or that at the very least there should be a tickbox on the website to cancel the auto renewal option. I got an excellent quote from LV but I'm new business so that usually gets a good result.

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »
I told DL to take me off the auto quote system for many years and they never did. Nor did they remove my CC card details as the auto renew always had the last 4 numbers included.

Fortunately LV do have the option to prevent it. When this years renewal came up I still got a postal quote but with a note that I would have to manually renew.
Let's be careful out there !

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 08:43:54 PM »
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 06:59:13 PM »
As part of my renewal process I have received three different prices from Tesco. The renewal quote was £453.81, their new business quote was £348.98, Confused.com was £332.91. My LV quote was £312.87 which, as I said previously, I taken up and that was with £50 less voluntary excess than Tesco.
Confusing isn't it?

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:52:39 AM »
LV do seem to be very good value and they get top marks by Which?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »
I needed a new policy for a car last year. After much deliberation I ended up with LV, as said above the reviews are generally very encouraging especially compared to some of the "budget" brokers/insurers. Got a new fully comp business cover on a car for pretty much the same as the previous renewal price with full no-claims (I transferred that existing policy to the Jazz).
As with all insurance, I hope I don't need to find out how good they are to actually deal with on a claim. So far so good.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
As with all insurance, I hope I don't need to find out how good they are to actually deal with on a claim. So far so good.
That is the problem though. All the reviews in the world won't tell you how happy you will be if you need to actualy claim on the cover. Some insurers are real stinkers though, but the internet is awash with just negative.

My Pug 308 was written off by hitting a deer on 1/1/2020. The Co-op (CIS) were the insurers, and I have to say I was extremely impressed with them. The speed of dealing with the claim was great. The total loss value was bang on the market rate, no low ball offers and trying to negotiate up.

Our Jazz is with Admiral. Touch wood, we've not needed to find out how good they are, but if they deal with things as easily as the CIS I will be happy.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 11:59:03 AM »
I've heard of claim problems with Admiral, Churchill, Hastings and a lot of unknown comparison site companies. As you say it's claim time and subsequent loading when you find out.

The Which? review did take into account owners.

When I think back, I've been paying car insurance since 1970 and never claimed. And yet Direct Line tried to increase my premium by over 30% last year and got upset when I left. When I phoned to cancel they said I should have phoned. I replied that if they would have reduced the premium then why inflate the price in the first place.

They've been reducing my premium via a phone call for nearly 10 years and this year 30% was a red line.

Same thing with house and contents. DL almost doubled it from £400 to £800 about a decade ago and my broker friend tailored a policy for £250 that didn't include free cover for things like bicycles and jewellery that I don't have and presumably inflated DL's price.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 04:21:41 PM »
Hi,
Don't mess about, go to NFU, cheap and good service, mine actually goes down each year,
Chris

Tags: