Author Topic: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge  (Read 6341 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
The lowest price I ever paid for a gallon of fuel was 3s/10d which was in 1964, of course it rocketed up in price in 1973 at the time of mid-east war and I think I might still have the rationing coupons somewhere, never used thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »

I only started paying attention to fuel prices during the fuel strike of 2000. Remember that?

We were in North Wales and actually got caught up in the tanker blockade on A55 - luckily had enough fuel to get back home OK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/11/oil.business
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »
I cannot remember the 2000 fuel strike. I was travelling back and forward from Fife to Greenock every day, for work at that time and I cannot remember having problems getting petrol. Perhaps it was not as bad here as elsewhere in the country.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »

Could be a vision of the future when we’re all waiting a few hours to charge our Ev’s halfway along the motorway.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:55 PM »
Could be a vision of the future when we’re all waiting a few hours to charge our Ev’s halfway along the motorway.
You might be right! Scary thought for EV'ers.

I can remember that fuel was hard to find in Cambridge during the strike. I recall waiting in a line of cars for 30 mins.

Amazing how quick we take supplies for granted, and then last year we all got reminded about shortages with food and loo rolls caused by panic buying.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »
I know, bad times. I’m still trying to buy loft boards, people will stockpile anything it seems….

guest4871

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »

Or a power cut?  ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 06:02:00 AM »
During the ~2000 fuel shortage I'd just topped up so I knew I had just over 2 weeks fuel in the car for commuting at 20 miles each way.

On the second week I was almost the only car on the westbound section of the M25. It was an uncanny feeling.

Fortunately I managed to get the rationed £20 in on the second Sunday so I didn't need to public transport it.
Let's be careful out there !

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2021, 02:05:44 PM »
I can remember the 1956 Suez crisis that resulted in fuel rationing country-wide due to the Canal being closed. I was around seven and my maternal grandfather, who lived in Stalybridge, Cheshire, had a Humber Super Snipe that he regularly drove down to my parents' home in Selsdon, Surrey. In 1956, he duly arrived and then couldn't return home as it was too complicated to fill-up as  most petrol stations rapidly sold out and the lovely Humber wasn't particularly economical. So he and my gran had to stay 'darn sarf' for a couple of months during which I can remember queueing outside the pumps in Selsdon to obtain our allowed few gallons! 

Sent from my SM-T725 using Tapatalk

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
The most I’ve ever filled into my car was 34.00L. That was one of the scariest moments I had when I had already pushed to the limit by ignoring the warning light and drove on for several miles. Literally, I felt the car start to splutter afew times as I entered a BP station that was open (bad luck that my usual ones were all closed for the night, or refuelling!)! So relieved, but now I know what’s the maximum capacity! Hahaha!

I also reset my driving range “A” setting after each refuel. Typically get to 280-320miles range, depending on how hilly, traffic, seasons and if using AC. So, now trained myself to start looking for petrol stations about 260mile mark.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
So, now trained myself to start looking for petrol stations about 260mile mark.
Usually I don't start thinking about petrol until the 400-mile mark with my Mk1. My largest top-up is 38.6 litres.

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
Usually I don't start thinking about petrol until the 400-mile mark with my Mk1. My largest top-up is 38.6 litres.
Woah! That’s excellent range!

For long distance trips esp to countryside camping, I also bring along a 5L petrol canister for emergency. It’s a cheap reassurance, but even tightly screwing the cap on, and being careful with not dripping any, there’s still a faint waft of petrol when I put it in the boot. Even putting it in a plastic bag and tying that up only helped a little (and I’m not certain that’s a good idea either!). Does anyone have a good tips on how to manage that?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 12:23:56 AM »
The Mk2 has a strangely shaped petrol tank which makes it difficult to measure. When it indicates empty there's about 8L left in it. Also the needle on the gauge moves more slowly in the 50-100% region than in the 0-50% region.

I test drove mine (an ex-demonstator from the first batch of Mk2s) on country back roads in N Wales with the fuel gauge showing empty. The petrol station associated with the dealership had missed out on a delivery that day.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
So, thought I would see 'how low I dare go' the other day. Little Jazz reckoned he was about bone dry and only 23 miles left in the tank. Right then, I reckon I'll get about 40 litres in........

So there was still nearly 9 litres in the tank!  ::) Pessimistic.

On the plus side, 53.27 mpg is brilliant.  :D

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 01:16:49 PM »
On bikes, I just reset the trip, and refill soon after 100 miles. I know the range is there for more, but it's worked well for me. I don't ride long distances in one go anyway.

My Suzuki Bandit was the last big bike I had with a actual reserve tap. Old school idea, not sure why manufacturers did away with that.

I had a Suzuki RG500 motorcycle, square 4 2-stroke engine  67 miles on 3 gallons was typical and on the A1, fuel stops were an hourly event,  fuel consumption in the main independent of road speed, in fact the faster I drove the better the economy!.  The high output engine, rated by Suzuki at  95 bhp  or 190 bhp / litre, burned 3 gallons per hour, it was up to you as to how many miles you could accumulate in that hour.  Riding the Rg500  was akin to being saddled to  a missile such was the scintillating performance.

Tags:

anything