Author Topic: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.  (Read 5071 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2021, 11:56:04 AM »
There's always the Daily Express if you want a middle-of-the-road balanced view.....................  ;D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
There's always the Daily Express if you want a middle-of-the-road balanced view.....................  ;D

If you are unbalanced the Express is highbrow.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
Quite. :o
Let's get back on topic.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:17:28 PM by JimSh »

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2021, 01:38:33 PM »

Would rather believe any news source rather than BBC, Guardian or some of the other blatantly lefty media in UK.  I prefer to get a more balanced news from Al Jazeera or GB News these days.
I suppose what you choose to believe is up to you.
No need to keep  pushing it on this forum though.

Edit removed ambiguity from previous post

Why on earth not?

Guilty conscious?

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
Ah well that must be an up-to-date article now since it came from Russia Today

Would rather believe any news source rather than BBC, Guardian or some of the other blatantly lefty media in UK.  I prefer to get a more balanced news from Al Jazeera or GB News these days.

+1!

Very noticeable lack of any international news on UK broadcast media. Mostly mono topical. Talk about parochial. (Or is it actually controlled - I really do begin to wonder sometimes).

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2021, 06:34:28 PM »
Ah well that must be an up-to-date article now since it came from Russia Today

+1

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2021, 07:21:51 PM »

I suppose what you choose to believe is up to you.
No need to keep  pushing it on this forum though.

Edit removed ambiguity from previous post

Why on earth not?

Guilty conscious?

I had previously just posted " I suppose that's up to you"

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2021, 04:38:29 PM »
Today the route I was on took me through between two wind turbines on either side of, and close to, the road. The bright light and the blue sky made them quite mesmeric.

JimSh

• Approved Member

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan
Future of National Grid.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/955445/national-grid-to-lose-control-of-uk-s-power-network-in--smart--energy-plan-955445.html

I hope this new body has magic spells similar to Harry Potter to summon up power from renewables ( how about 'ventus' to summon the wind ),  wind is loafing again today ( 0.6GW ) and has been for a while,  solar is OK today ( supplies more than biomass generation for about 8 to 9 hours a day in present summer heatwave ) but hardly makes a dent on UK consumption between October and March...  The only sources of reliable power we have in UK are Gas ( both for heating and CCGT electricity generation ) and Nuclear.  Hope we have signed up with Norway and Russia for some more gas pipes into UK  :(    I had to laugh about the 'keeping consumers energy bills affordable'.  You can have all the batteries you want connected to grid, but you need something to put into them.   For many years now huge amounts have been spent on wind turbines and solar,  relying of heavy subsidies from taxpayer.  If the wind blew strongly everywhere at once the number of installed turbines could supply 40% of demand,  but very often ( way too often for comfort ) the fans on sticks supply <10%,  and often <5%.  Thing is that the turbine operators get paid whether they generate or not,  and often get deliberately built in remote places without the infrastructure to connect to grid, and the operators still get paid 'because it is the grids fault'....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:28:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
hope OVO* and other 'greenenergy' company customers not relying on wind today to power their air conditioning ( * whose electricity comes to your house down the same cables as 'non green' electricity LOL ).   Fans on sticks 0.19GW = 0.5% of demand,  solar down a few GW on yesterday as well due to hazy conditions today.    Lucky for you that if you sign up for green energy and the renewables not performing you still receive  dirty energy ( mainly from Gas CCGT , which is the backstop when green stuff stays in bed ). If the green energy customers only got power when green power was available they may have to decide what to turn off on many days of the year.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:37:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything