Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Re: New car + Breakdown
« Last post by Rory on Today at 12:02:16 PM »

Curious. Presumably youíre talking about the 12V battery? Others have commented firstly that the 12V battery is charged from the HV system, not directly from the engine, and secondly that the 12V battery doesnít start the engine, thatís done by the HV system.

If the 12V battery doesn't start the car, then is it tiny in the hybrids?

It's pretty small even in conventional Jazz's, but it's worth noting that, at least in conventional cars, the 12V battery is designed to provide a high starting current for the starter and isn't good at providing long steady discharge - like, say, a leisure battery does.

There's another very recent thread where an owner had a flat battery a few days after getting his car.
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Re: Delivery miles anyone?
« Last post by Pine on Today at 11:57:43 AM »
Mine was 19.  I know that the storage pound is 2 or 3 miles from the main garage premises.

When crossing the Avonmouth Bridge on the M5 you can see the new car storage depot in the docks, it is vast so it is possible to add another couple of miles if that is where your new car has arrived.
The steering as above is well documented. A new battery may help as the motor does use a lot of power. However I installed a fresh battery a couple years ago and it didn't improve my steering. Some owners claim not to have the issue, but I wonder if it's sensitivity to the issue, i.e my wife doesn't notice it at all driving the car, but it's very obvious to me.

Your second issue could be the common gearbox bearing issue. Fortunately I don't have that issue, but I understand it only gets louder over time. The solution is to have the gearbox rebuilt with new bearings. Cheap parts but a fair amount of labour required so not particularly cheap.
Recently while driving one of the pipes came off my radiator. This dumped out my coolant and quickly overheated the engine. Left stranded I had to call the AA. Turns out one of the metal clips (I don't know if they have a correct name, but they sort of spring on) that attached the pipe to the radiator had completely corroded through and failed. The pipe has since been replaced and attached with a jubilee/hose clamp.

A quick look under the car shows lots of these clips attaching various pipes including Fuel and Coolant attachments.

I have to admit I've lost some confidence in driving the car. I'm concerned more clips will fail and cause sudden major problems leaving me stranded again.

I've never heard these clips mentioned here. Has anyone else had a failure or take note of the condition of these clips?

I'm wondering if I should buy a bag of assorted hose clamps and replace all the clips I can find?

What do others think about this? Any advice appreciated.
« Last post by Jeff15 on Today at 11:17:39 AM »
Mine was 9 so I suppose it was second-hand..... ;D
« Last post by richardfrost on Today at 11:15:09 AM »
I've never had a 'delivery mileage' car where the mileage is in double figures. It usually is just the mileage on and off transporters, ships, around airfield storage and around the dealer site. i Have even had a couple of 'nearly new' or 'low mileage' cars with a massive discount on brand new where the mileage has been under 25 miles.
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Delivery miles anyone?
« Last post by Hugh R on Today at 10:57:10 AM »
Searched but can't find a reference to the miles to expect on collecting new car from dealers.  Must be somewhere!  What was yours?  Thanks.
Honda Jazz Mk4 2020 - / Re: New car + Breakdown
« Last post by Pine on Today at 10:10:47 AM »
The 12V battery provides the power for the wipers, lights, radio, fan etc. But more importantly it powers the ECU, so if the battery is flat; no ECU no start. 

I have a Toyota Corolla hybrid that has a 45A/hr 12V battery.  Toyota issued advice during the lockdown that if your car is used infrequently it should be put in ready mode for one hour every week so the hybrid battery can charge the 12V battery.

Wherever I was the car I leave it in ready mode just so the 12V battery can charge.  If the Hybrid battery starts to get a bit low in that time the ICE kicks in to charge it.  It generally starts up three times and runs for about three minutes each time so is unlikely to be consuming much fuel.  I have always been in the habit of using a CTEK in the darker months and will continue to do so, this is probably more important on a hybrid than on a conventional car. 
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: That grease-monkey feel
« Last post by FordPrefect8 on Today at 09:58:15 AM »
As someone who has worked in the Car Manufacturing industry, for all of my working life, may I be permitted to make one or two observations.
The use of the Disc fixing screws is essential for the following reasons:-

In the factory, the Disc is assembled to the Hub in clean conditions and the screws are used to ensure that the disc is properly located against its location face. Run-out (wobble) of the assembled disc is held to very tight limits, in the order of 0.1mm total Run-out at 300mm diameter. (smaller disc would have a proportionately smaller tolerance).
This is done to ensure smooth vibration free braking.

Now, consider what would happen at the roadside, should you wish to change a wheel, if these screws were not fitted.
When you take the wheel off, the Disc is no longer fixed to the Hub, because you have removed all the wheelnuts  and so could easily move on its register, and away from its location face. You may say so what! Well, you are longer working in clean conditions and some road dirt could easily find its way into the location face joint.
Thus, when you assemble your spare wheel and do up the nuts, there is a distinct possibility of excessive Disc run-out occurring, leading to possibly dangerous vibration when braking.

Certainly the move to Torx or maybe Allen key head would be desirable but rest assured, the use of these screws is very important.

Thanks for the insight, duly noted - those little rust devils are in fact essential :)
On a regular 10 mile cross country trip, mostly country lanes, no motorways, I'm currently getting around 70mpg in my Mk4 EX, but max speed not much more than about 45mph.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
anything