Author Topic: My Honda App  (Read 4306 times)

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
My Honda App
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
I've just had an update to the My Honda App on my iPhone and I'm pleased to say that it appears that the application is now compatible with the 2018 Jazz.

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
Re: My Honda App
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Did they install the dongle for you even though it wasnt working? Hmmm let see if my dealer will still give me what was promised......

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
Did they install the dongle for you even though it wasnt working? Hmmm let see if my dealer will still give me what was promised......

I don't think Honda were aware of the issue when they fit it back in January - they certainly weren't when I contacted Honda customer care who initially referred me back to the dealer. When I contacted them again they asked for screen shots of the errors that I supplied and then they referred it to their software developers.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
I've just had an update to the My Honda App on my iPhone and I'm pleased to say that it appears that the application is now compatible with the 2018 Jazz.

I had the update to Version 1.10 (636) about two weeks ago, but it was working before as well.

I am on iOS and don't know how Android and iOS updates relate.

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
Anyone tested with Android - I'm sure Honda Customer Services would like to know as they havent a clue.....

iainsd

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
Visited the Honda garage today to see if i could get a dongle fitted yet and told me they received a memo on the 5th of june that all 2018 Jazzes will be compatible with it now. Will be getting it fitted on Friday. Will let you all know how i get on with the Android app.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
Hello - I'm your local technophobe. What does the App do? I've got a thing on my infotainment screen - will it benefit me in any way if I can use it. It keeps saying no internet connection but maybe that's because I frequently forget my mobile phone!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
What does the App do?
The app on its own does nothing unless you also have the hardware dongle (which seems to be a combination data logger and tracker with cell connectivity) fitted to your car. Then you get access to a raft of services that may or may not be useful to you (assuming it all works):
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/my-honda/my-honda.html
If you’re considering it, you may want to read the Ts&Cs very carefully. Ask yourself why a hard-nosed commercial company like Honda is  giving something away for free. It’s not really “free”, you’re paying by giving away lots of personal data and I felt that I would be giving away more than I would gain, and it’s not clear what they would be doing with that data.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Ask yourself why a hard-nosed commercial company like Honda is  giving something away for free. It’s not really “free”, you’re paying by giving away lots of personal data and I felt that I would be giving away more than I would gain, and it’s not clear what they would be doing with that data.

As previously posted you appear to be paranoid about an app. that you have never tried or know what information is used, personally I have no problems with the dongle as nothing Honda can use is not what they already know or could easily find out anyway, I am not sure what personal data you think it can give them, as I have stated before in the settings you can choose what information you wish to be transmitted or even disable it, I find it is a useful application to have.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:48:18 PM by Hobo »

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
Ask yourself why a hard-nosed commercial company like Honda is  giving something away for free. It’s not really “free”, you’re paying by giving away lots of personal data and I felt that I would be giving away more than I would gain, and it’s not clear what they would be doing with that data.

As previously posted you appear to be paranoid about an app. that you have never tried or know what information is used, personally I have no problems with the dongle as nothing Honda can use is not what they already know or could easily find out anyway, as I have stated before in the settings you can choose what information you wish to be transmitted or even disable it, I find it is a useful application to have.
You could justifiably call me “paranoid” if I only suspected, without evidence, that Honda were collecting personal data. But they tell you they are doing it so it’s a fact rather than a paranoid delusion on my part.

What we’re actually talking about here is that we have different appetites for allowing someone to collect and use that data. You’re clearly happy with it, and the controls built into the system. That’s your decision and I respect that.

I’m not content with it. I don’t want Honda (or anyone else they give/sell the data to) tracking my car or how it’s driven, neither for me nor for others who drive it (data which, despite your suggestion, is not available to them in any other way). And if you’re going to turn it off, why have it in the first place ?

Anyone who is considering using the system will need to balance the benefits against the cost to them based on their own appetite for protecting their privacy; hopefully they’ll be better informed as a result of exposing our differing views. I just want people to be aware of the implications rather than just grabbing the “free” goody.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »

As previously posted you appear to be paranoid about an app. that you have never tried or know what information is used, personally I have no problems with the dongle as nothing Honda can use is not what they already know or could easily find out anyway, as I have stated before in the settings you can choose what information you wish to be transmitted or even disable it, I find it is a useful application to have.
You could justifiably call me “paranoid” if I only suspected, without evidence, that Honda were collecting personal data. But they tell you they are doing it so it’s a fact rather than a paranoid delusion on my part.

What we’re actually talking about here is that we have different appetites for allowing someone to collect and use that data. You’re clearly happy with it, and the controls built into the system. That’s your decision and I respect that.

I’m not content with it. I don’t want Honda (or anyone else they give/sell the data to) tracking my car or how it’s driven, neither for me nor for others who drive it (data which, despite your suggestion, is not available to them in any other way). And if you’re going to turn it off, why have it in the first place ?

Anyone who is considering using the system will need to balance the benefits against the cost to them based on their own appetite for protecting their privacy; hopefully they’ll be better informed as a result of exposing our differing views. I just want people to be aware of the implications rather than just grabbing the “free” goody.

Once again you are completely ignoring that you can control what is sent and collected by Honda and you can just allow what information if any you want to be collected by them while still using several of the useful features of the app.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
Have a look at the first page of the user manual. It describes the information that the car logs in its data recorders and event logs. I assume the dongle/app will have access to this and maybe the cars GPS information. The fact that it can be accessed by dealers and repairers makes makes me wonder if it is used for assessing warranty claims.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 03:31:02 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 04:03:52 PM »
Once again you are completely ignoring that you can control what is sent and collected by Honda and you can just allow what information if any you want to be collected by them while still using several of the useful features of the app.

I agree with ColinB on this one,  even after the introduction of new data protection laws that are supposed to prevent companies collecting data (peoples data is worth £billions these days) I have found that some websites have a nice easy way of turning off tracking and adverts. But others (too many) direct you to their 'partners' websites (sometimes dozens or more) where you have to read through their 'data protection and privacy policies' before finding an often devious way of turning off tracking and ads, these people have a lot to lose with new data laws and it is often a case of appearing to be complying with the law but making it so hard to disable tracking and data collection that many people will give up trying.  I no longer visit the sites that make it hard to turn off - they are obviously just tenuously complying with the letter of the law but not the spirit. 

I am totally fed up with pop-up ads for things I look at turning up on my wifes browser even though we have separate profiles and use different browsers ( I prefer waterfox and she uses Chrome) - I have had to use the waterfox option to clear browsing history when I shut down my browser,  which means I often have to log into sites every time i access them. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:22:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
The only real way to keep anonymity while Internet browsing is to bolt down your system and use Tor.  I'm not that paranoid but have used it and it does work. https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
Just noticed the edit to Reply#8:
... nothing Honda can use is not what they already know or could easily find out anyway, I am not sure what personal data you think it can give them, as I have stated before in the settings you can choose what information you wish to be transmitted or even disable it ...
“Personal data” is any data that can be associated with an individual. Section 1 of the Privacy Policy (Annex 1 of the Ts&Cs) defines the data Honda collects, and tells you that it can be associated with you as an individual when aggregated with other records (eg they know the identity of the individual who owns the car with that VIN). So they correctly define the whole lot as Personal Data (see 1.3). And none of the stuff about car performance, driving style, location, etc, is available to Honda through any other means so your assertion that they already know it all anyway is not correct.

No, I didn’t ignore that comment, which is why I said ...
... if you’re going to turn it off, why have it in the first place ?

But the main point here is that having this system or not is an individual choice based on personal attitudes and values. As I’ve said several times now, anyone making that choice needs to understand the implications for their personal privacy, and that is important to many people which is why I’m highlighting it. That is not criticising anyone else’s choice.

Incidentally, I see the Ts&Cs & FAQs have been amended since the last time I looked to prevent you receiving someone else’s personal data after you’ve sold the car. That’s a step in the right direction, although it can take up to 6 months to kick in.

Tags:

anything