Author Topic: Auto Dimming mirrors  (Read 2184 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Auto Dimming mirrors
« on: November 29, 2019, 12:46:44 AM »
Has anyone fitted an interior auto dimming mirror in their Jazz? I find driving at night more difficult as Xenon headlights are so bright and they actively follow where you go.

My 2004 Toyota Corolla Verso had it as standard, and my sister's Hyundai i30 2009 also has one. But I note not even the EX has it. I know you can get aftermarket ones on Amazon but I was wondering if anyone has retro fitted one?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Auto Dimming mirrors
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:59:16 PM »
Not seen any thing in UK try a search on fitfreaks.com the US site  - owners always looking to mod their Fits.

guest4871

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
Have you tried flipping by hand the small lever behind/ under the windscreen rear view mirror?

The car manual is not clear which way is which but I think mine is pointing forward in the normal position and down in dimming mode, i.e. pull it towards you to dim, then flip it back to normal as you wish.

You need to try it at night to see the real benefit as during the day it just looks very wrong!

I suspect the Auto ones I have had use a special type of mirror/ glass which you might also be able to buy as an attachment to the rear view mirror.

(I hope I have understood your problem).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
I just flip my mirror if I need to. Auto would be great, but at night I just dip it if I need to, then leave it like that.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
Thanks guys for the explanation. Yes I have been flicking the mirror manually but once you experienced the auto dimming mirror, it's like going back in time. I am disappointed that an older car, 2004 Corolla Verso had this as standard, where as the newer Jazz didn't even have this as an option. I did a search on eBay and Gentax does aftermarket ones. But not sure if they will fit the Jazz?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gentex-GENK2-GMKIT-Auto-Dimming-Mirror/

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »
My current 2016 Jazz has auto everything else including lights, but not the mirror, and I agree once you've had it, it is so much easier. One of the bits of tech, including wipers, that when it's in automatic it actually helps the driver concentrate on what's important, ie the road ahead.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 09:35:32 AM »
Following with interest, I agree that the auto dipping mirrors work really well. You just forget that it's there, you never have to touch it, or even realise that it is doing it's job.

I then jump into the Jazz and it's takes a while for the old brain to work out why it's being blinded.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »
I just flip my mirror if I need to. Auto would be great, but at night I just dip it if I need to, then leave it like that.

+1

I just leave my mirror dipped at night as well,  there are still the wing mirrors that give a clear view and which don't shine in your eyes....

But that is the difference between 'old school' and the 'Hive' / 'Nest' / 'Alexa' generation ( Alexa, dim the mirror ).....

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
Another reason that I upgraded to an HR-V :)

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

Tags: