Author Topic: Covid vaccine for Scottish care homes  (Read 1385 times)

guest9236

Covid vaccine for Scottish care homes
« on: December 03, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »

Coronavirus latest news: Care homes in Scotland to get Pfizer vaccine this month saw this today in Daily Telegraph.
Some good news for Jocko.
I thought I would post this as there does not appear any mention in today’s posts etc.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Covid vaccine for Scottish care homes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
That turns out to be erroneous. The Pfizer vaccine will have to be used at vaccine centres because of the storage requirements, so it will only be used for Care Home staff. Until there is a method for distributing it in small quantities, people will have to go to it. If the Oxford/AZ vaccine is approved, it will go into Care Homes.
The good news is my mother in law is getting home on Wednesday so we will have Christmas together.

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »
That turns out to be erroneous. The Pfizer vaccine will have to be used at vaccine centres because of the storage requirements, so it will only be used for Care Home staff. Until there is a method for distributing it in small quantities, people will have to go to it. If the Oxford/AZ vaccine is approved, it will go into Care Homes.
The good news is my mother in law is getting home on Wednesday so we will have Christmas together.

Oh well you are obviously more knowledgeable than I on the subject.
I merely posted the news Item for information only and thought it would be good news.
Clearly that was an incorrect assessment on my part, but Feel sure most people will be pleased.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 06:58:51 PM »
The Pfizer problem is that it comes in frozen canisters with ~950 doses. Presumably the vaccine is in one container and is placed into the needles when needed/defrosted all 950 in one go.

They said earlier that they have asked if the doses can be split into smaller batches for care homes and the MHRA regulator will have to test and approve any changes. So as above, the Oxford jab may be available to care homes sooner.

The first lorry is enroute from Belgium and will have an armed Police guard from the channel tunnel.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Did you see that hackers have tried to hack the Vaccine "Cold chain"? The attackers' identity is unclear - but IBM said the sophistication of their methods indicated a nation-state. I bet Russia or China.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 08:01:47 PM »

Coronavirus latest news: Care homes in Scotland to get Pfizer vaccine this month saw this today in Daily Telegraph.
Some good news for Jocko.
I thought I would post this as there does not appear any mention in today’s posts etc.
Mebbees aye, mebbees naw

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/covid-vaccine-can-be-taken-into-scottish-care-homes/ar-BB1bBwBn

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1334570994133069826

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/boris-johnson-under-pressure-to-prioritise-vaccine-for-care-homes

Last edit added last link
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:20:15 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:13 PM »
I merely posted the news Item for information only and thought it would be good news.
Clearly that was an incorrect assessment on my part, but Feel sure most people will be pleased.
I missed this post. I am not criticising or decrying what you are saying. I was merely pointing out that both JVT on BBC Breakfast and Nicola Sturgeon on First Ministers Questions made it clear that the Pfizer vaccine is not suitable for delivery to Care Homes. I am delighted that the vaccine is now becoming available and look forward to getting my two doses.
Sorry if I offended you with my comments.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:38:42 PM »

Pleased to hear that, it's been a while coming!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 09:39:14 PM »
The first lorry is enroute from Belgium and will have an armed Police guard from the channel tunnel.

Whilst the arrival of a batch of vaccine is undeoubtedly great news, I noticed this snippet earlier...

NHS bosses said the 800,000 doses that comprise the UK’s first consignment from Pfizer’s manufacturing plant in Belgium may be “the only batch we receive for some time”, raising questions about how soon further supplies will arrive.

...which is a little worrying.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/03/nhs-staff-no-longer-front-queue-covid-vaccine-rethink

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 04:30:04 AM »
I did wonder if yesterdays failed 'B~t' talks would hinder any more deliveries from Belgium.

I wonder how close the Oxford vaccine is to approval.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:10:46 AM »
Delighted to see this morning the Jeane Freeman, the Scottish Health Minister, has announced that care homes will start receiving the vaccine from the 14th of December, as a method of splitting the batches has been approved. Also found that now Mum is returning home, though 96, she goes down the pecking order for when she will be vaccinated.
Also saw the news that Pfizer will now only be able to manufacture half its intended output of vaccine this year as it is having difficulty getting supplies of the raw materials for making it.
Also, MI5 has warned that storage facilities for the vaccine should be kept secret to prevent possible sabotage, somewhat difficult when people have to go to these centres for vaccination.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »
I have understood that the vaccine is stored in central locations capable to keep it very cold but then delivered to local vaccination units where it can be stored up to 5 days in regular refrigerator.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/covid_19_vaccine_u_s_distribution_fact_sheet

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
I missed this post. I am not criticising or decrying what you are saying. I was merely pointing out that both JVT on BBC Breakfast and Nicola Sturgeon on First Ministers Questions made it clear that the Pfizer vaccine is not suitable for delivery to Care Homes. I am delighted that the vaccine is now becoming available and look forward to getting my two doses.
Sorry if I offended you with my comments.

No worries Jocko 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
I did wonder if yesterdays failed 'B~t' talks would hinder any more deliveries from Belgium.

I wonder how close the Oxford vaccine is to approval.

More trials of Oxford underway

"The clinical trials, enrolling over 24,000 participants from diverse racial and geographical groups in the UK, Brazil and South Africa, will now continue to final analysis. Further trials are being conducted in the United States, Kenya, Japan and India and the trial team expect to have under 60,000 participants by the end of the year. These trials will provide regulators with further information about the efficacy and safety of the Oxford candidate vaccine, including its ability to both protect against and stop the transmission of COVID-19."
https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-11-23-oxford-university-breakthrough-on-global-covid-19-vaccine

Which means - I am guessing here - trials 2-3 months.
Data analysis 1-2 months
Approval 1 month

Say 4 to 6 months.

So April at the earliest .(IF all goes well) June at worst. Or more tests.

I recall suggesting that it is grossly optimistic to expect volume supplies of vaccines in first quarter  2021 as things go wrong.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
It's all positive news and a bit of light at what has been a long tunnel.  :)

Tags:

anything