Author Topic: Upload Dash Cam Footage to The Police ??  (Read 2286 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Upload Dash Cam Footage to The Police ??
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
Sussex police have had one since 2007 (it even still says 'best viewed in Internet Explorer' :D ). I think these are good idea if used responsibly - to report reckless driving, not simply reporting someone because they made a mistake.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
On this occasion the police helped themselves to the footage https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-55180594.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
On this occasion the police helped themselves to the footage
They come on the scene of the accident, See the car had a dashcam. Check the footage for possible cause and see a crime being committed. As I said elsewhere, dashcam footage can show fault on the part of others and fault on the part of the driver.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »
I would think that if they believe an offence has been committed, securing any evidence would be normal procedure.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
Hoist by his own petard methinks! No sympathy.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
On this occasion the police helped themselves to the footage https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-55180594.

That driving is beyond belief.  >:( The only place for that is on your games console with Forza or similar. A positive use of his footage and the driver deserves more than the two year ban he received IMHO.

Further shocking evidence of lunacy in Norfolk https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-45515656

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
I agree, we earn a licence to drive responsibly. Some instances, like this one should be a licence removal and start again with a test, not a period ban IMO.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
One of my ex-workmates was photographed speeding, twice, on a journey up from the Midlands. He was fined, banned and ordered to re-sit his test. The next test was a killer with everything thrown in. Not the two from five or whatever it is normally. He failed and had to do it all again. Then when he came to get insurance, he had to include an arm, a leg, and the crown jewels.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »
Reminds me of a crash in Dover a few years back:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/car-plunges-off-dover-car-park-19282/

That is horrendous. How on earth to people manage to do such things?

When I see bad driving on the road, I often comment "they would not have driven like that on their driving test". Contraversial, but I do think we should all be subject to a compulsory re test every 5 or 10 years. It would remind drivers that driving needs to be concentrated on and our licence is a privelege. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
I past my test back in the 1960s but I sat and passed the PCV test in 2005. I turned 70 in 2018 and took a reassessment with a local driving school. I intend doing the same when I have to renew my licence at 73 and will continue to do so at every licence renewal for as long as I am spared and still able to drive.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 04:54:35 AM »
Very responsible.

I'm similar, test in 1969, PSV in 1976 and advanced test in 1982.

My father-in-law was persuaded to carry on driving long after he should have stopped by his wife because she wanted her car rides.

He was developing dementia and was a danger on the road. Towards the end he would go shopping and forget where he'd parked. He picked up my wife from the rail station and went on a joyride because he'd forgotten the shortest way home. Even when he was only a short distance away he drove into and out of Morrisons carpark because presumably that was his most frequent journey.

In the end the sister-in-law got his licence revoked.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 05:11:12 PM »
I passed my car test in 1989. I then took my full bike licence in 1998, and whilst training, I was shocked by how much I had forgotten. I had simply stopped observing properly and, probably like most drivers, realised that I had gained many bad habits. The observation side, was literaly like scales falling from my eyes, no pun intended. In 9 yrs of driving, and probably about 200,000 miles, my standards had dropped massively.

As a biker, I am very aware of how perilous the roads are, and that has kept me very observant. I 'talk' to myself about what is happening on the road, and that keeps me on the ball.

I think it would do the average driver the world of good to have a small 'MOT' of their driving every few years. It would be even better if they rode a pedal cycle, or L plated 50cc in traffic. Gain some much needed empathy and perspective from outside of their airbag Ncap5 star 1500kg safety cage.

I passed my Driving Instructor driving test in 2002 at the first attempt, which is tough,  and qualified as a driving instructor that year. I enjoyed the job for a few years, but have since moved on but may return to it one day.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »
I had a bike too, and that is a great education for any driver, especially those that think they are "experienced". Sitting in a tin box with four wide tyres, most drivers have no idea about the nature of the road surface. Most drivers imagine they have as much grip in the rain as they do in the dry (they must do because they don't alter their driving).
I think every new driver should have to qualify on a bike first (even a 50cc as you say). Never happen, though.

I too talk to myself while driving, and if I am driving alone, I will even give a commentary. People think I am talking on a hands-free.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »
I too talk to myself while driving, and if I am driving alone, I will even give a commentary. People think I am talking on a hands-free.

Perhaps they just think you're a bampot.

I do that too!  ;D

Tags:

anything