Author Topic: Living with a Jazz Crosstar  (Read 16464 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Living with a Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
What do you think? How long is the space folded flat?
I'll investigate this aspect tomorrow although it's a feature I'm not currently planning to use.

Thanks.

Maybe an Ikea visit perhaps?

Would be a huge factor for me if I didn't need to buy a tent for just four nights a year.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:56:17 AM by richardfrost »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »
In west side of the pond there are multiple threads about people camping in their Fits. That is in all three generations (GD, GE and GK). I would be surprised if the fourth generation were any worse.

Here are links to some threads (I hope there is no policy restriction to link to other forums):
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/90939-turning-my-fit-into-mobile-camper.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/74119-have-you-gone-camping-sleeping-your-fit.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/96598-camping-my-fit-need-advice.html

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
Would be a huge factor for me if I didn't need to buy a tent for just four nights a year.
In the attached photos it's about 1.6m from the pedals to the top of the reclined front seat and at least another 0.8m to the inside of the boot door. I think Honda advertise the ability to carry a surf board as a standard Jazz feature and the longer ones are around 2.4m. However, the flat fold isn't complete flat. You would need a suitable cushion to fill the depression at the front seat squab and something fatter to the rear of the top of the front seat. Nonetheless, with the right bits of padding it would be much more comfortable than a cattle class plane seat and I've spend a fair few hours sleeping in those.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »
Does it not do the lounge seating like the Mk3?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
In the attached photos it's about 1.6m from the pedals to the top of the reclined front seat and at least another 0.8m to the inside of the boot door. I think Honda advertise the ability to carry a surf board as a standard Jazz feature and the longer ones are around 2.4m. However, the flat fold isn't complete flat. You would need a suitable cushion to fill the depression at the front seat squab and something fatter to the rear of the top of the front seat. Nonetheless, with the right bits of padding it would be much more comfortable than a cattle class plane seat and I've spend a fair few hours sleeping in those.
I thought the point was that the back of the front passenger seat of the Mk3 folds forward onto the squab to make it possible to take long items. Does the Mk 4 not do that?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »
I thought the point was that the back of the front passenger seat of the Mk3 folds forward onto the squab to make it possible to take long items. Does the Mk 4 not do that?
This was what I had in mind, with the rear seats folded flat and the front seat back folded forwards.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
This was what I had in mind, with the rear seats folded flat and the front seat back folded forwards.
The front seat backs don't tip forwards very far - the new "more comfortable" seats have side support which limits the rotation.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »
The front seat backs don't tip forwards very far - the new "more comfortable" seats have side support which limits the rotation.

Guess that answers my question, thanks. So diagonally across the load space or sitting up in a reclined seat are my choices. Or modifying my lad's '05 SE, which will likely be back in my posession by next Spring, as per this link from TnTkr... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/90939-turning-my-fit-into-mobile-camper.html

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2020, 04:55:46 AM »
If you build a raised floor, that gives more length even with less tipping of forward seat. It could be sufficient for sleeping also in your Crosstar.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2020, 08:37:05 AM »
I would not be building anything into a new car, like the Crosstar. My question was really simple. With an air bed or other cushioning, is it possible to create a flatt(ish) six foot sleeping space in a Jazz  4 or Crosstar. I think the answer is no. I am intrigued by the thought of doing it in our Mk1 though.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »
You can just about get your 6ft diagonally with the rear seats folded flat and the front seats pushed forward.  You would, however, need to put something in the gap between the back of the front seats and the front of the folded back seats. I would also note that the Mk 4 Jazz boot floor isn't completely flat but Honda have provided a ramp between the main part of the floor and the area over the batteries. I think they chose this arrangement to maximise capacity but I don't think that ramp would upset a pair of sleeping legs.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
You can just about get your 6ft diagonally with the rear seats folded flat and the front seats pushed forward.  You would, however, need to put something in the gap between the back of the front seats and the front of the folded back seats. I would also note that the Mk 4 Jazz boot floor isn't completely flat but Honda have provided a ramp between the main part of the floor and the area over the batteries. I think they chose this arrangement to maximise capacity but I don't think that ramp would upset a pair of sleeping legs.

Thanks John, that is exactly what I needed to know. A part inflated air mattress would provide a flat enough sleeping space. The way these events work, you arrive on a Friday and sleep that night. Then you run pretty much non stop from noon Saturday to noon Sunday but might need somewhere to flop for an hour or two in and amongst. Then you need an hour or two of sleep on the Sunday afternoon so you're fresh enough to drive home. Soulds ideal to me. No need to deal with tents. Would probably just need air deflectors so could have windows open a crack in any weather and some sort of means of blocking out the windows. Cardboard and bluetack springs to mind.

Cheers..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:28:06 PM by richardfrost »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »
It occurs to me that there may be a serious problem, when it comes to descending steep hills.
Is there any serious engine braking available?

I have in mind the Devon banks like Countisbury and Porlock hills where there are 1:4 or 1:5 sections, such that with the earlier Jazz cars you would probably change down to 3rd or even 2nd gear + brakes to safely negotiate such slopes.

Countisbury hill is circa 2 miles long and descends around 700 feet and if you are relying on brakes alone, I could well see brake fade developing.
Perhaps someone can explain the procedure for such situations, or is brake fade a thing of the past?

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
Then you run pretty much non stop from noon Saturday to noon Sunday but might need somewhere to flop for an hour or two in and amongst. Then you need an hour or two of sleep on the Sunday afternoon so you're fresh enough to drive home.  Would probably just need air deflectors so could have windows open a crack in any weather and some sort of means of blocking out the windows.
After running 24 hours most people would be able to sleep on a concrete park bench so a Jazz should be luxury. You've got the two options - diagonally in the back or a laid-back front seat with a few cushions to add extra length (but there isn't much width) so something should work. As for ventilation, I included the optional visors in my purchase deal (list price is expensive but they were buried in the deal) and they would provide the ventilation you want. They also look good with the black roof (see photo) and provide a bit of shading from sun on the side of the vehicle.

It occurs to me that there may be a serious problem, when it comes to descending steep hills.
Is there any serious engine braking available?

Perhaps someone can explain the procedure for such situations, or is brake fade a thing of the past?
That's an interesting question. The system is programmed to charge the battery but that will be full well before the vehicle reaches the bottom of the hill. Does Honda then rely on the brakes? It's discs all round so shouldn't overheat quickly and the front discs are ventilated (I've just checked) so I suspect the answer is that the discs get a good polish (regenerative braking means that they don't get as much use as in normal vehicles). A Devon hill is a blip in the terrain compared to an Alpine pass. That said, the technology exists under the bonnet to use direct drive from wheels to an engine in braking mode but this would be best enabled if the vehicle knew it was going down a long hill. The technology to do that exists, using a digital terrain model and tracking the vehicle's position but, as far as I know, Honda haven't adopted this approach.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
Modern brakes don't fade. Not unless you have cheap and nasty pads. Maybe descending an Alp, but I have driven many long steep descents in the Highlands, Lake District and Yorkshire Dales and never had an issue. And that is with automatics with virtually nil engine braking.
The B mode offers substantial regeneration, so that covers lack of engine braking.

John, are you saying that a two-mile descent will fully recharge the battery? Is it a AA?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:36:06 PM by Jocko »

Tags:

anything