Author Topic: Flat tire, worth repairing?  (Read 7304 times)

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
Flat tire, worth repairing?
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
I've got my first puncture, found a screw stuck around central part of the tire.
It was ran flat for 100 meters the next day at low speed as puncture was not noticed at once.
Visually no apparent damage from running flat.
On spacesaver now(btw , is it true it should be put on the rear only?)

My question is is it worth repairing a tire? as I will need balancing as well.. how much could it cost?
is it safe to use mended one?
new one fitted would cost £50, I'm in doubt only because the one with puncture is also new with 3k miles on it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:44:54 AM by dg »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Flat tyre, worth repairing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
If the tyre company agrees that it's legal to repair (which it should be if the nail was in the tread) then it will be well-worth repairing - it's nearly new!

caseyjones

Re: Flat tire, worth repairing?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
I agree; sounds like it's repairable. Take the advice of a reputable tyre dealer.

With regard to the space-saver wheel, there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting it on the front of the car. I've done it several times with no problems. Obviously, you must make sure that the pressure is correct and that you adhere to the speed restriction (usually 50 mph). There have been threads on this forum suggesting that one shouldn't fit them on the front because of the slightly different diameter, but it's nonsense.

guest3435

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »
After two and a half years three of the four tyres on my last Jazz looked like Swiss cheese with the amount of punctures they had (one was actually caused by an entire screwdriver shank lodged in the tyre), but they still all ran perfectly once properly repaired at various reputable centres - in the end I got over 30k out of the front two, so it didn't affect their performance one bit.

The last one I got done had two punctures and both were repaired at an independent down the road from where I work for £14 all in - take it in to your nearest garage and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how cheap it is to have done...

dg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »
perfect, thanks guys
will be mending it next weekend

dg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
bad luck, local tyre shop says it's not recommentded to repair, chewed up sidewall
to me it looks like slight marks on rubber, bit of cord visible in one place only
anyway replacing it now

For the record KwikFit qouted £22.50, local tyre shop £18.50 (£12.50 patching/balance only)

caseyjones

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:47 AM »
Oh no - if the cords are visible it's definitely a goner. Bad luck!

Tags:

anything