Author Topic: Cruise control - is it an effective option?  (Read 4830 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Cruise control - is it an effective option?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
I had a FIAT 126 with an auxiliary hand throttle. That is scary!

guest5079

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
I have only had Cruise Control on two vehicles one with a 'proper' auto box and the Honda I shift.  Having a damaged right knee it is a very helpful where it can be used. I can honestly say I have never had my foot hovering over the brake pedal. After all whatever you are driving, one should be prepared to brake when necessary. So whether it's in cruise control or not it is you that is the brakeman. Once you touch the brake the Cruise Control is over ridden. You have to reengage it after braking.
One question. How does it work with a manual box, if an incline needs a change of gear?

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Hi

I use cruise control every day even at its lowest on setting - circa 25mph

I find it easy and if traffic in front getting close, I use cancel to slow down before using brakes, if gap opens up, I use resume button to take me back to same speed

On hills, the higher speed in cruise control works better then lower speeds but it still loses its speed inline with the steepness of the hill. On a motorway at 80mph, it maintains speed on hills however at 40mph on a hill, it will lose speed but does not sound to labour.

I live in a hilly place, infact, I live half way down a very steep hill, so when first setting off, no cruise control until around 30mph, then it goes on and works very well

As a driver, I never hover over the brake pedal, just use cancel/resume buttons mostly, unless traffic is stopping. Just the same as driving without cruise control, you have to aware of traffic and what’s around you

Incidentally, i bought car genie because in the event of a accident/crash, it alerts the AA who then are meant to ring you so as I travel alone a lot, it may save my life if

Many thanks

John

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
I have only had Cruise Control on two vehicles one with a 'proper' auto box and the Honda I shift.  Having a damaged right knee it is a very helpful where it can be used. I can honestly say I have never had my foot hovering over the brake pedal. After all whatever you are driving, one should be prepared to brake when necessary. So whether it's in cruise control or not it is you that is the brakeman. Once you touch the brake the Cruise Control is over ridden. You have to reengage it after braking.
One question. How does it work with a manual box, if an incline needs a change of gear?

It's a matter of personal taste. I was reading about this last night in the light of various comments and there is a view that cruise, in heavy traffic, can slow reaction time just that little bit - the right foot, on a manual, has further to move. That makes me feel insecure and it's why I won't use cruise in heavy traffic. Indeed there is a view amongst experts that you shouldn't use it in heavy traffic. The only exception I make to this are when I'm in a lengthy 50 mph stretch on the motorway - I compensate for the extra braking time by lengthening my following distance.

There's a wider issue over cruise and increasing automation generally as we move to more assisted driving. The more tasks are removed from the driver, the more likely his/her attention is likely to wander according to some road safety experts.

That said, I hope my next car has adaptive cruise! I would use that much more frequently.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
That said, I hope my next car has adaptive cruise! I would use that much more frequently.

My new car has adaptive cruise control and it is truly awesome in conjuction with the CVT transmission.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip Richard - something to bear in mind come car change time.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
Don't want to harp on about it as it's not a Honda! Suffice to say I miss it when I drive my Jazz.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
The only exception I make to this are when I'm in a lengthy 50 mph stretch on the motorway - I compensate for the extra braking time by lengthening my following distance.

If everyone used cruise control in heavy traffic, that's flowing freely, then I think it would make it safer assuming they follow your example.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »

In my experince, (Octavia) it normally disengages when you depress the clutch but I usually just touch the breaks first to avoid messy rev issues.

guest5079

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
Having just read a link on Cruise Control, I feel it explains it very well.
Go to Jazz Mk 1 and look under the Question re the 08 CVT, on page 3 Culzean has a link explaining the CVT and at the bottom of the CVT piece is another link on Cruise Control and it's use in the wet ( this is a misnomer and is explained) It explains the Cruise Control extremely well.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
Having just read a link on Cruise Control, I feel it explains it very well.
Go to Jazz Mk 1 and look under the Question re the 08 CVT, on page 3 Culzean has a link explaining the CVT and at the bottom of the CVT piece is another link on Cruise Control and it's use in the wet ( this is a misnomer and is explained) It explains the Cruise Control extremely well.

links for cruise control (go to bottom of page in link for other articles about cruise control ).

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/what-is-cruise-control-how-does-it-work/

and CVT how it works.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/continuously-variable-transmission-explained/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: