Author Topic: Jazz Insurance  (Read 3970 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Jazz Insurance
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »
Have been doing the rounds of comparison websites this morning and including Adrian Flux and the best renewal cost i can find is circa £475
I note on this forum that some members have secured insurance for far less than this and I am just wondering how they did it?
OK so I'm an old codger (81) clean licence (60+ years) no accidents that were my fault, in god knows how many years.
I also note that if I add my daughter to the policy, then the cost comes down, something I don't really understand?
I only want to insure the car, not buy it again!!! :o

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Jazz Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
Is your post-code in an area considered a bit dodgy for car insurance?

Has it jumped up a lot since you turned 80?

LV= are usually pretty sensible.  They did used to have an upper age limit of 86 for new customers but they removed it a few years ago.   I find when I suggest LV= to people the quote is either pretty good, or miles too expensive, so they obviously have a target set of parameters they're looking for and if you're outside of that then they whack up the premium.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi Rory
Many thanks for your reply, I am located in Solihull, West Midlands. which as far I know is not a bad area.
The cost mentioned in the previous post was LV :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:42:44 PM »
Adding a single named driver suggests you live a balanced lifestyle and are not  a driver with no recourse but to drive yourself  when you fall unwell/have a senior moment etc.

Coupled with the fact that the driving of elderly drivers can gradually deteriorate (or quickly for that matter) and without another driver to advise them to take medical treatment /give up driving they can become a risk to themselves or others.

We had that situation with my Dad who suddenly became dangerously erratic and careless driving and it took both my brother and I to persuade him to give up driving.

Apologies : I don't intend in any way to suggest you are unfit to drive but I am sure insurance companies are acutely aware of the risks as drivers age.

I write as someone in their early seventies...so aware of the possible personal impacts... on my capability to drive in the future.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:44:30 PM by madasafish »

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
Hi, only thing you can do is make sure your not over-insuring, eg. Limit your mileage if you don't need, don't have breakdown cover if you don't need it, that sort of thing.
Another thing which has brought down my insurance in the past is adding a couple of thousand miles business insurance, you'd expect it to add but some insurers lowered their premiums.
Can't think of anything else, unless you've got any more daughters to put on the policy.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
There is little rhyme or reason in how insurance companies assess the risks of any particular applicant. There was even some publicity a few weeks ago suggesting that having the wrong email address could be a factor:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2018/01/email-addresses-can-affect-insurance-quotes-but-theres-more-ways-to-save-at-renewal

Your best bet to find a good deal is to plough through the comparison sites. There’s good advice on this page ...
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/
... including suggestions about the order in which to tackle the sites to get maximum results for minimum effort. It’s still a pain of a job, but can produce some surprising results.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
I'm 51, single, have full NCB and live in NN13. My 1.3 EX cost me £245 through Quote Me Happy. Actually the second cheapest quote I've had in my entire life. The actual cheapest was for an Austin Metro many (many, many) years ago which came in just below £200.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
Hello all

I've just renewed my insurance 2013 Jazz s +AC
Hastings renewal came through at £268

I went to some compare sites and Admiral quoted £199

I rang Hastings and explained wife was no longer working and now retired (she is a named driver and has never driven any of my cars as she has her own) anyway anything else I was asked, yes I'm not happy with your quote, I can get Admiral for £199.

Anyway they came back with £175 and starts on march 10th when my previous policy expires. OK my postcode and driving history is good and I have business insurance for £2000 mile.

Saga wrote and offered me insurance from £189 and when I jumped through the hoops came back with £300+  which I discounted.

I have 7 meerkats at the moment, "compare the meerkat" seems to give me a best price.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
I'm with Direct Line, myself and wife, both 65+ with 8000 annual mileage, about £265.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 08:27:15 PM »
I'm with Direct Line, myself and wife, both 65+ with 8000 annual mileage, about £265.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
We have several Meerkats. And I am 68.live at a HR postcode for £245 with One call

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
Mine cost me £231.84 with Sainsbury's Bank. 69 years of age and 12,000 miles a year.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »
Have been doing the rounds of comparison websites this morning and including Adrian Flux and the best renewal cost i can find is circa £475
I note on this forum that some members have secured insurance for far less than this and I am just wondering how they did it?
OK so I'm an old codger (81) clean licence (60+ years) no accidents that were my fault, in god knows how many years.
I also note that if I add my daughter to the policy, then the cost comes down, something I don't really understand?
I only want to insure the car, not buy it again!!! :o
Hi.
could I double check we were your best price? If not how far out where we if you don;t mind me asking?
Regards,
Dan.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
Hi Dan
Many thanks for your quotation, yes, your price was very similar to my renewal price, but with respect, i'm not keen to change companies, for the sake of £20 or so. It was simply the fact that other members were seeing prices, very much lower than this, (in the £200-£300 bracket) which made me enquire. Nobody has been able to explain why it is, in my opinion so high, other than age and group B location. Thanks again.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
Hi.
No problem at all. Fully appreciate why you wouldn't want to change. Please keep us in mind for next year though.
Regards,
Dan.

Tags:

anything