Author Topic: Recon alternator ...  (Read 1439 times)

mgb789

• Approved Member
Recon alternator ...
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
       Hi, I have to order an alternator for my 1339cc petrol 2002 Jazz SE version 2 with air con. I'm not sure that's enough detail to ensure the correct one is ordered. Does anyone know if there is a make and model number, I've tried on the web but it all seems very vague.  The breakdown man checked the battery and alternator with a meter. Then he gave the alternator a sharp tap with an iron bar. It did the trick, he said we should not trust it and advised us to get it checked. He said, if we called the breakdown company again with the same fault, we would have to pay the full cost of any breakdown assistance. I have a journey planned for the 27th Dec. so I must get it sorted.  Thank you very much.

guest1372

Re: Recon alternator ...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
Should be enough, both the 1.2 & 1.4 in manual and CVT have the same part with the same plug.  It's an 80 amp unit with a five groove pulley.
--
TG

mgb789

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
Thank you TG, that will be a great help.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
       Hi, I have to order an alternator for my 1339cc petrol 2002 Jazz SE version 2 with air con. I'm not sure that's enough detail to ensure the correct one is ordered. Does anyone know if there is a make and model number, I've tried on the web but it all seems very vague.  The breakdown man checked the battery and alternator with a meter. Then he gave the alternator a sharp tap with an iron bar. It did the trick, he said we should not trust it and advised us to get it checked. He said, if we called the breakdown company again with the same fault, we would have to pay the full cost of any breakdown assistance. I have a journey planned for the 27th Dec. so I must get it sorted.  Thank you very much.

If a sharp tap with an iron bar brought it back to life it was probably a carbon brush stuck in its holder,  the commutator rings on alternators feeding energising power to rotor are smooth,  and brushes only carry small current (which can be varied to control alternator output)  so brushes don't wear very much.   I have replaced alternator brushes before, but only once on an old car.  The electrical power on an alternator comes from the large  fixed windings (stator) that you can see when you look at it.

Could also have be a dodgy connection on one of the electrical plugs (maybe a bit of corrosion) but my money would be on brush.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mgb789

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Thank you culzean.  I will check the connections. Does hitting the alternator with the 'magic' iron bar mean that I might be able to use the car until I can get it to a Honda dealer in Portsmouth? I'm old enough to remember tapping the starter motor to get started!  The battery is less than a year old. I think I may have 'met' you on another forum calzean,I had a Sierra in those days, if you are the same person, I think you helped me back then. Thanks again!

Tags: