Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172775 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
20,054 miles of mixed motoring completed in two years from new, and 1776.2 litres (usually ASDA 95) bought, giving 11.3 mpl or 51.3 mpg overall.  The averages shown by the car's instruments are 54.1 mpg and 34 mph.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
Good figures. You must be pleased with that.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
Very early days but I was anxious to get an early indication of what mpg my new car doing so I filled up today having done only 145 miles since the last fill up. These 145 miles have been done in the very cold weather we have been having lately and mostly the urban cycle with the engine cold for much of the time.

In my 2 previous 1.4 manuals I would have expected a figure of around 35 mpg. Indeed my lowest ever - 33.8 - was "achieved" in very similar conditions.

Computer indicated 43.2 but the manual method (brim to brim) indicated 40.05.

So, very early days and a small sample mileage wise but I'm pleased. Looks like a 10% increase in mpg is on the cards. I've got the Fuelly.com BB code so this will show my average mpg as future fuel ups are added.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
On 400 mile trip around North Wales end of last week 1.8 Civic showed 48.5 mpg,  equating to about 45mpg  in very cold wet conditions (with Nokian WR-D3 winter tyres).  Even locally I get 45 mpg indicated,  I am driving carefully but not anally by any means,  just trying not to use brakes and short shifting when I think about it. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
That's very good from a 1.8 Civic. I got over 40 very rarely although, being anal, I have kept records and there is a 47.7 in there and one or two mid 40s. Longer trips and you could get decent mpg. A more typical mpg for me was 35 ish.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
So, very early days and a small sample mileage wise but I'm pleased. Looks like a 10% increase in mpg is on the cards. I've got the Fuelly.com BB code so this will show my average mpg as future fuel ups are added.
7-10% improvement over a Mk 2 is a reasonable expectation based on my experience after 20,000 miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Glad to hear it. I think the combination of changing to a Mk3 AND to a CVT should help my mpg significantly. Stop/Start - given that I do a lot of driving in traffic - should also contribute.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
Have just completed 425 miles on my Honda Jazz Sport CVT. No problems of any kind and really pleased with the Car.

Done the calculations and the real mpg is 44.37 with the tank filled to just below the top of the petrol cap for a consistent calculation. The trip computer is optimistic by 2.48 mpg.

Did a short drive on the motorway for 15 miles and cruising at 70 mph (2200 rpm with the throttle backed off)  the trip showed 58 mpg.

Its as expected as most my trips are five miles from cold 50/50 split with country roads and town. Cold weather makes a big difference to the fuel consumption so I expect it will improve as the weather improves. I was getting pretty well identical mpg from my 2015 Fiesta Ecoboost 100 which was manual not an auto like the Jazz. Not only that the Jazz Sport would leave the Fiesta for dead any day. In my opinion the handling on the 2018 Jazz is as good as the Fiesta for normal driving, but of course I don't drive my car at 100% around corners.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
20,054 miles of mixed motoring completed in two years from new, and 1776.2 litres (usually ASDA 95) bought, giving 11.3 mpl or 51.3 mpg overall.  The averages shown by the car's instruments are 54.1 mpg and 34 mph.

Just revisited this thread and looked at this post again. This indicates that the car's computer is about 5-6% optimistic and that over a long period.

My very small sample over my first refill indicated a 5% discrepancy as well.

This is much better than the 10% error in the following cars: Golf 1.9TDI, Civic 1.8 (petrol), Jazz 1.4 x 2. These cars were all manual. Is there anything in the theory that a CVT or, indeed, any automatic will produce a more accurate computer reading? Fewer variables as computers are in charge?

Somebody with more technical knowledge than me needed!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »

Just revisited this thread and looked at this post again. This indicates that the car's computer is about 5-6% optimistic and that over a long period.

This is much better than the 10% error in the following cars: Golf 1.9TDI, Civic 1.8 (petrol), Jazz 1.4 x 2. These cars were all manual. Is there anything in the theory that a CVT or, indeed, any automatic will produce a more accurate computer reading? Fewer variables as computers are in charge?

The smoother your driving the more accurate the MPG display will be on most cars.  The system takes a snapshot about every 10 seconds (you will see MPG display update at the same time) - If you zero a  trip every time you fill up you will notice the MPG display is most sensitive for the first 50 miles or so,  after that it is averaging the 'instantaneous' MPG over more miles on the trip and any change in driving makes less difference to MPG readout.  ECU uses fuel injector 'open' times (which are variable depending on engine temp, accelerator pedal position etc)  to work out the rate at which fuel is been squirted into engine at time of snapshot and how far car has travelled since last snapshot to come up with an MPG figure (averaged out over miles presently on trip mileage readout).  Probably because the ECU takes a snapshot every 10 seconds or so it can be more accurate if not much changes during the 10 seconds since last snapshot (smooth driving) if your driving is erratic things change quickly and a lot can happen in 10 seconds between shots (rapid acceleration and deceleration) which gives a less accurate reading.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »

The combination of CVT and cruise control certainly cuts out some unnecessary right foot twitching.

guest7642

« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »
First brim to brim (390 miles) in a brand new 1.3 manual SE

Honda says 52.8 the pump (and fuelly) says 50.8mpg

Very happy with that.  Has mostly been commuting schools runs and kids taxi duty

Tim

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
Excellent. You cannot complain about those figures.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
First tank was 43mpg driven normally but not exceeding 4,000 rpm. Reasonable for a tight 1.5 engine.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
I think those figures are pretty good. Demonstrates to me that, despite the difference in the NEDC figures between the 1.3 and the 1.5, in the real world they will be much closer. The 1.5 will be less stressed.

I either read this in Which or Honest John but larger engine cars get closer to the "official" figures than some of these smaller engine cars.

Tags:

anything