Author Topic: Beeps programmable?  (Read 4905 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Beeps programmable?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 03:01:39 PM »
I thought the collision alert system on the Jazz is only at the front.
Yes this has been puzzling me too.  It is actually called "Forward Collision Warning" and is described on page 428 as "Alerts you when it detects the possibility of your vehicle colliding with the vehicle in front of yours."

I have never had a warning of anyone approaching me too quickly from the rear.
I've definitely had alerts when the only moving vehicles are those behind me. I had one alert last year when stationary at the exit of a roundabout and someone squeezed past me from the previous entry. I also got an alert on the M40 recently when someone dropped in close behind me to take the same slip road.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
Are you sure you are getting collision warnings or are they the parking sensors? My parking sensors detect movement when my car is stationary.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
Are you sure you are getting collision warnings or are they the parking sensors? My parking sensors detect movement when my car is stationary.
And yet the rear sensors are only supposed to work when "R" is selected........

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »
It's collision detection because it flashes the image of a car and an exclamation mark in the display whereas proximity sensors don't do that. I have to admit I'm confused now because it's clearly only supposed to be a forward warning and uses the forward facing camera to trigger.

But on the three or four times I can remember it happening there was definitely nothing in front to trigger it. At that roundabout incident I was stationary and so were the vehicles in front. Another incident on the A34 I was minding my own business in lane one at 60mph with quite a gap to the vehicle in front (which I was keeping pace with) and someone came up behind and did a very late overtake. Then a couple of weeks ago I was in lane one of the M40 approaching J10 at 60mph keeping pace with a van that was also indicating to pull off. A vehicle swerved in behind my and the alarm triggered. I remember thinking that it was a typically stupid driver because there was space in front of me that they could have safely dropped into.

My car has done some odd things over the years but this makes no sense. The only incident that might and it's stretching things a bit is the roundabout one where the camera might have picked up a reflection of the passing vehicle in the car ahead's rear window. But that doesn't explain either of the other two incidents I can remember. On the A34 and M40 there was no vehicle close enough for that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
It's collision detection because it flashes the image of a car and an exclamation mark in the display whereas proximity sensors don't do that. I have to admit I'm confused now because it's clearly only supposed to be a forward warning and uses the forward facing camera to trigger.

But on the three or four times I can remember it happening there was definitely nothing in front to trigger it. At that roundabout incident I was stationary and so were the vehicles in front. Another incident on the A34 I was minding my own business in lane one at 60mph with quite a gap to the vehicle in front (which I was keeping pace with) and someone came up behind and did a very late overtake. Then a couple of weeks ago I was in lane one of the M40 approaching J10 at 60mph keeping pace with a van that was also indicating to pull off. A vehicle swerved in behind my and the alarm triggered. I remember thinking that it was a typically stupid driver because there was space in front of me that they could have safely dropped into.

My car has done some odd things over the years but this makes no sense. The only incident that might and it's stretching things a bit is the roundabout one where the camera might have picked up a reflection of the passing vehicle in the car ahead's rear window. But that doesn't explain either of the other two incidents I can remember. On the A34 and M40 there was no vehicle close enough for that.

All these problems with systems like collision detect and auto brake just mean that driverless cars are ( despite all the hype to keep people interested) still a long way off,  what is a gripe to a human driver and easily ignored can mean a driverless vehicle shutting down and become just another piece of junk littering our roads.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »

All these problems with systems like collision detect and auto brake just mean that driverless cars are ( despite all the hype to keep people interested) still a long way off,  what is a gripe to a human driver and easily ignored can mean a driverless vehicle shutting down and become just another piece of junk littering our roads.

I agree with Culzean It would be quite nice to have controls that can be operated by the driver, I remember foot operated headlight  dip switches so easy so convenient, and headlights that used electric solonoids to dip reflectors what was so difficult? I used to drive hundreds of miles in my Austin 12 with leather seats but no heater.
Air conditioning controlled by opening the window with a winding handle.. Cor what memories.I can smell the leather now. petrol 2 bob a gallon.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
There is a button to the right side of the steering wheel (low down) that turns the proximity sensor off and on.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

They are programmable to an extent, the button ( marked "P") can independently switch the front and rear sensors. I can't remember the sequence but it is in the user manual.

Interesting - I wasn't aware of this so I've had a quick look in the manual (p458).  It seems that you can either turn the whole system off or the rear sensors alone off.  Why would anyone want to do that?

To answer my own question, I suppose if you're towing a trailer, you need to silence the rear sensors.

Back to thinking about the parking (proximity) sensors. I find that it's possible to have both front and rear sensors sounding simultaneously when parallel-parking into a tight space. That's distracting and unhelpful. The process for disabling the rear ones isn't the sort of thing you can do mid-manoeuvre, much more useful would be a 4-position switch: Both / Front only / Rear only / None.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
perhaps being aware of your vehicle dimensions would make it unnecessary for beeping gadgets  front or rear.
 Using your Rear view mirror,side mirrors or even turning your head to check,just a thought perhaps stating the obvious.

Tags: