Author Topic: Looking to buy first ever Jazz  (Read 14322 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Looking to buy first ever Jazz
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
- not sure I like the constant beeps when parking but I guess get used to them.
I find the parking sensors helpful, but they are easily turned off (dashboard lower right).

guest8014

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
Had an Orange EX for two weeks now. Done 1000 miles. Pleased so far. One or two things coming to the fore.

- Went a bit quick onto a roundabout yesterday and got too close to a car leaving same and the Auto braking system came on. Quite effective but disconcerting as I was not going to collide anyway. Might be able to turn this off?

Bloody hell!! Provoking the auto brakes is really pushing your luck! It can't be turned off, it is a legal requirement on new cars, sounds like you are better off with it on.

Are you sure you don't mean the collision warning system?
Well, the brakes came on and something beeped. But then I'm a slick driver! Sounds like my rallying days' habits are over! Think NCB!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Had an Orange EX for two weeks now. Done 1000 miles. Pleased so far. One or two things coming to the fore.

- Went a bit quick onto a roundabout yesterday and got too close to a car leaving same and the Auto braking system came on. Quite effective but disconcerting as I was not going to collide anyway. Might be able to turn this off?

Bloody hell!! Provoking the auto brakes is really pushing your luck! It can't be turned off, it is a legal requirement on new cars, sounds like you are better off with it on.

Are you sure you don't mean the collision warning system?
I triggered mine once. I was going round a roundabout and someone pulled out in front of me. It would have been okay except they'd forgotten they were towing a trailer so I had to stop. I was so annoyed that once the trailer was half way past my front I floored it. I knew there was no way the CVT would let the car accelerate fast enough to hit the trailer but the collision system didn't. Cue loads of beeps and brakes coming on. Quite disconcerting.

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
Colin. Yes you are right. It is a Low Emission Zone. That is what I get for trying to read and answer questions while trying to get breakfast and get ready for work. I normally try to avoid social media until I get home in the evening.
Edinburgh are discussing banning cars from George Street with the introduction of pedestrian plazas. Cars are already banned from Princes Street.
My main thoughts about an electric car is we are all going to have to go that way eventually. With 60 or 70 years of motoring ahead of me it will be the norm.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »
I would wait until it is the norm and a decent charging infrastructure is in place. I have seen electric cars queuing to get on chargers. People can use them as a parking space when their charge is complete. Early adoption is sometimes not a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:04:37 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
I would wait until it is the norm and a decent charging infrastructure is in place. I have seen electric cars queuing to get on chargers. People can use them as a parking space when their charge is complete. Early adoption is sometimes not a good idea.

+1

Let early adopters take the pain and frustration (some people actually seem to like it ) some battery electric vehicles ( BEV) at the moment are actually powered by the smugness of their owners ( like Toyota Prius Hybrid have been since they were introduced ).

Looking at the claimed and actual miles per charge of present BEV is like looking at apples and oranges, The NEDC figure is wildly optimistic and bears no relation to real world range.  It is the wild west out there at the moment with claims of range.  The problem seems to be that when you take a BEV on the motorway at 70mph or more the range plummets - they are tested at 50mph or something, and in stop-start motoring the range drops,  on wet roads the range drops,  in cold weather the range drops...etc. etc. )

https://www.gearbrain.com/electric-car-range-test-cycle-2547963655.html

I see James Dyson has just won a court case against the way EU allow testing of vacuum cleaners, believe it or not they allowed the testing of cleaners when they were empty ( which suited the makers of cleaners with bags - you guessed it the Germans make cleaners with bags,  he has had the testing changed so that the cleaners have to have a measured amount of dust in them when suction is tested - I would not believe that the Germans cheat the tests ( do VW make vacuum cleaners ? ).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46135645

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest8014

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »
I looked at the Toyota Hybrid before buying the Jazz. Producing the battery takes energy and pollution. Getting rid of it will be solution and a cost to the owner. Replacing it after 5 years will be what £2000 plus labor? And if there is a fault in service probably several hundred quid. when every passenger vehicle is battery then all the pollution will be increased in the power source i.e. the power station. It's going together proportionally more expensive to run a vehicle of any sort soon. Back to pedal cars I think.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »
when every passenger vehicle is battery then all the pollution will be increased in the power source i.e. the power station.
That is actually one of the major benefits of EVs. It's a lot easier to trap/filter harmful emissions from a few dozen fixed buildings than it is to trap/filter them at millions of rapidly moving vehicles. It's also easier (and often more financially/politically practical) to upgrade the trapping/filtering devices at a few dozen fixed locations. It's also a lot more practical to switch to a better power generation source in a few dozen places than it is to replace the power trains on millions of vehicles. Buy an EV today and some of the power is being generated from dirty fossil fuels. Over the lifetime of the vehicle that can change without having to modify any aspect of the vehicle.

EVs have some issues but having the power generation taking place in a few dozen specific industrial locations makes it far easier to tackle problems arising from that power generation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:21:20 PM by andruec »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
I've triggered the auto brake a couple of times and, yes, it is quite disconcerting but, overall, I think it's a useful addition to the car. On neither occasion was I in serious danger of rear ending the vehicle in front but I took this as meaning it operates on a better safe than sorry basis.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »
he has had the testing changed so that the cleaners have to have a measured amount of dust in them when suction is tested

I am going to set up a company to manufacture European Standard Dust for testing purposes.

Really though, we should take the EV conversation back over to the other thread. There have been some interesting points made here and not over there.

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Spent the afternoon at Western Honda in Edinburgh. Had a test drive in a Sport and then in an EX. I liked the extras in the EX and would probably be perfectly happy with that model but after driving the Sport it felt under powered. It would probably have been better if I had tried them in the opposite order. Delivery depends on colour I choose. I think a white one looks good with the standard black wheels.
Hubby fell in love with the Civic Type R. He has arranged an extended test drive for this coming week. He had a short drive in a Civic Sport. They offered to get the Type R out for him but we were running out of time so he will try it at his leisure. It means I won’t be there to interfere.
Salesman was all set to sell me a Jazz but Bill said to wait until he has tried the Type R. I think he hopes to get a package deal.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »
Standard salesman move, put you in the more powerful car first (the one they want to sell) it always makes the less powerful one feel gutless. (Which it is).  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:17:49 AM by Skyrider »

Jeangenie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
Bill has arranged a Type R Driving Course at Knockhill for Friday morning and a test drive in Edinburgh for Friday afternoon. All right for some taking a day off work. So he’ll be getting a Type R then. My friends ask me when I am going to have kids and I tell them I already have one.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »
Bill has arranged a Type R Driving Course at Knockhill for Friday morning and a test drive in Edinburgh for Friday afternoon. All right for some taking a day off work. So he’ll be getting a Type R then. My friends ask me when I am going to have kids and I tell them I already have one.
Tut! What a waste of a day off. I'm using mine this Friday to play golf  ;D

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
You mean you wasted our time and effort answering enquiries about the Jazz when you should have gone to a Civic forum, Jean! Lol! Good luck with the Type-R! It's a beautiful car, and with respect to all the Jazz owners like myself, the Civic will be a great car to drive especially the Type-R.

Just remember though to get a good discount as it's end of the month. Shop around if the deal is not right and don't be afraid to go a bit further in order to get a decent deal! Remember Honda warranty covers the whole of the UK.

Tags: