Author Topic: Reserve tank  (Read 22900 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Reserve tank
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
I've had 480 miles between fills on one occasion, after long duel carriageway trips, and the refill was 38.5 litres, so I think 500 miles is certainly achievable.  The gauge was down to one bar and not many miles remaining, but on another occasion I drove 10 miles or so beyond the zero miles remaining.  I don't think anyone should worry about running it down to zero miles remaining, provided of course you know where the next filling station is!
When I had the Mk 3 Jazz I once filled up after 504 miles with 1 bar remaining on the fuel gauge. I managed to get 36.78 litres into the tank. I suspect that the filler pipe also holds a litre or two which may not be part of the specified tank capacity and hence, if the tank is filled to the brim, it can take around 50 miles until the gauge moves off full. This pipe capacity needs to be added to the reserve based on a 40 litre capacity.

It's advisable to have a nearby backup filling place if running near empty just in case the first one is closed for some reason. Also hope there's no jam on the motorway just before the planned end of the journey - crawling traffic at walking pace is not an efficient way to make progress.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
So glad I don't do fuel gauge stress, I take a quarter of a tank as a hint that fuel is required. When doing Edinburgh / London runs I fill up at my half way overnight stop. That gives me a good contingency reserve.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:21:44 PM by Skyrider »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
I suspect that the filler pipe also holds a litre or two which may not be part of the specified tank capacity and hence, if the tank is filled to the brim, it can take around 50 miles until the gauge moves off full. This pipe capacity needs to be added to the reserve based on a 40 litre capacity.
I find it's typically 80 miles before the gauge moves off full after filling up to "2nd click". Then roughly 20 miles per bar.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
Well I won't be running it that low this week. I'm driving up to see my Dad at the weekend so will have to top up for that as it's almost 400 miles in total.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm rather intrigued by mine at the moment. Due to a road closure I'm having to divert my commute and instead of 12 miles of A road at 50mph it's now almost entirely dual carriageway and motorway at 60mph with some delays at the A43/M40 junction where the idle stop comes into its own.

Although this has increased the distance by nearly 50% to 20 miles it has improved the reported fuel consumption. It had been showing around 54mpg over the summer but is now showing 58mpg. What's intriguing me is that after a week the fuel gauge is currently showing just under three quarters (for 200 miles) and the remaining distance is showing as 280 miles.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7808.msg64495#msg64495

I thought 500 miles on one tank was unlikely.

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
As others have said, the range on the readout is just an estimate, which is continual, so for example if you start going uphill, or press on, it drops almost immediately. I tend to fill up when the range drops below 100 miles, but that's just me. There is something satisfying in getting a good range out of one tank, but you have to weigh that against the probability of running out of fuel - and dragging the bits of silt and whatnot that accumulate at the bottom of fuel tanks over time into the fuel pump. In general, I drive to the green eco light, and I'm averaging over 50mpg, so I don't fill up that often. Fantastic!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
I would normally fill up at half to two thirds empty but I have a long journey tomorrow with a return trip on Monday so decided I could just about get to/from work for a week then drive to my golf club and back before filling up for the trip. Turns out I was cutting it more fine than I thought.

I might have to start filling up once a week instead of every two weeks, especially with winter approaching. Irritating :-/

nigelr

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
Appropo of my driving days pre-Honda, I had an old Austin Princess, which was the most comfortable car I've ever owned with massive velour seats, but everything else was crap (e.g. when the hydragas suspension drained, it leant increasingly to one side). The fuel gauge never worked properly and I ran out twice, the only times in 35 years of driving I ever have done. So while the Jazz's gauge is a very simple affair, I'm still grateful for it's reliability - I'm sure younger drivers will find that amusing, but some of us remember how rubbish cars were in the 1970s and 80s - and how great they are now.  8)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »
I'm sure younger drivers will find that amusing, but some of us remember how rubbish cars were in the 1970s and 80s - and how great they are now.  8)

That's why modern cars often get neglected, to the point that they only get looked at during a MOT which some people seem to think is a service. Thankfully the days of fix it yourself or walk are long gone. Change the plugs, contact points and condenser, and while you are at it tune the carburettor anyone?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:45:57 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
Old cars were pants, you can put carburettor and mechanical points in room 101. Give me fuel injection and separate coil packs every time, I had a Vauxhall and if you opened the bonnet at night it was like a lightning storm under there with ignition leakage, had to buy new distributor cap, new silicon leads and plug caps, and spray the whole lot with WD40 ( that is what it was designed for, although it did attract dirt like a dirt magnet ). Choke was pain in the butt as well, even the automatic chokes were pretty bad as they had to be sprayed with carb cleaner every so often to keep them working, and if the weather got too cold you crossed your fingers when trying to start the car.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:34:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
I loved working on old cars, but they were a nightmare to keep running correctly, and if neglected simply broke down.
My dad had a pre war Hillman that had grease nipples that required maintenance EVERY 500 MILES. Imagine trying to go anywhere with that!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
Old cars were pants, you can put carburettor and mechanical points in room 101. Give me fuel injection and separate coil packs every time, I had a Vauxhall and if you opened the bonnet at night it was like a lightning storm under there with ignition leakage, had to buy new distributor cap, new silicon leads and plug caps, and spray the whole lot with WD40 ( that is what it was designed for, although it did attract dirt like a dirt magnet ). Choke was pain in the butt as well, even the automatic chokes were pretty bad as they had to be sprayed with carb cleaner every so often to keep them working, and if the weather got too cold you crossed your fingers when trying to start the car.

+ 1

We often forget how underpowered they were as well. I had a 1.8 Sierra for a while with 90 bhp if I recall correctly and even that was quite sporty compared to the 1.6 with just 75 bhp. These were great lumbering beasts as well. Now we get a bit sniffy about the 1.3 Jazz with over 100 bhp in a small car.

0 - 60 times in old cars make interesting reading as well. The Jazz would be seen as a pocket rocket in those days and they weren't that long ago - (at least from my aged perspective!)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
My second car was a Ford Consul Mk 1. It was so much more spirited than the Vauxhall Wyvern I learned to drive in.
The Consul 0-60 time is reported as 28 seconds (though I believe that was actually 0-50) and the Wyvern, 37.2 seconds.

nigelr

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2018, 09:00:47 PM »
My dad had a Consul, then a Cortina, which some guy had souped up. The speed and fuel gauges rose and fell in perfect sync LOL. The slowest car we had was a Datsun 120Y, which although I wrote it off 35 years ago, is still accelerating towards 60mph in car valhalla.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
The only Ford I ever owned was a Cherry red Sierra, a nice car but then I discovered Honda, never looked back....

Mind you working on those cars was easy, changed the Sierra clutch in no time ( rear wheel drive), mind you they needed a lot more attention than modern ones.

Had the misfortune to own a Vauxhall Viva HC with 1256 engine - 58 ponies and weighed about 900kg - needed a calendar to measure 0-60 and had a 36 litre fuel tank ( no wonder had to keep topping the tank up ) - nobody who has driven one would complain about a Jazz with any engine....

Came across this site    https://www.auto-data.net/en/allbrands      looks good for anyone looking for info on older right up to new cars.  Very tellingly they do not give a 0-60 time for Viva HC 1256
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:22:46 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything