Author Topic: Priority Phone Bluetooth Connection  (Read 2326 times)

mcderd

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi CVT
Priority Phone Bluetooth Connection
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
I wonder if there are any whizz kids out there?

I have a new Jazz with the Infotainment system without buttons (just a touchscreen)

I have paired both my phone and my wife's phone. However, I have to remember to connect to my phone when I use the car.

I was looking for a setting that would allow me to set my phone as the priority phone, so if both our phones are in the car it would connect to mine, but when my wife is in the car alone it would not find my phone and would connect to hers.

I can't seem to find a way to do this, it seems very limiting if I have to remember to set the phone to mine manually every time we are both in the car.

TIA

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Priority Phone Bluetooth Connection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »
This is a pure guess, but does the system prioritise (or connect to) the first phone it detects on the list of phones installed? If that is the case if your phone is first on the list and your wife's second it should solve the problem.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:20:48 PM by Skyrider »

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »
Well, it's funny you should say that, our phones are called as below and are listed like this
Nexus 5X
Moto G4

The first is my wife's, second mine.

I wondered why they were not listed alphabetically and wondered if I could set them to appear the other way around.

Perhaps I should delete them both and try and add them in the other order?

A job for the morning....

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »
If I remember correctly, the most recent phone added goes to the top of the list. Worth deleting your phone and re pairing it. Hope it works!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:38:59 PM by Skyrider »

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 05:35:04 AM »
It seems that the order in the list does not change things, it seems like it reconnects to the last connected phone if available, else the next it finds.

So if my phone is connected each time it will connect to my phone, unless the wife uses the car when it will connect to her phone as it can't find mine, then if we go out in the car together it will connect to my wife's phone, not mine. Annoying!

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:59:56 AM »

I can't seem to find a way to do this, it seems very limiting if I have to remember to set the phone to mine manually every time we are both in the car.

An alternative to going in to the infotainment settings each time, would be to turn off Bluetooth on her phone when you are both in the car....on an iPhone this is very quick through the Control Panel.

I have noted the same problem and disconnected my wife's phone permanently. It doesn't really matter to her.

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
Yes, that's an idea, the issue with that is that she will have to remember to turn on BlueTooth each time she uses the car (or turn it off if we are together), otherwise someone will call her and her phone will ring and not be connected to the car.

It seems mad that you cannot set a priority phone.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
Yes, that's an idea, the issue with that is that she will have to remember to turn on BlueTooth each time she uses the car (or turn it off if we are together), otherwise someone will call her and her phone will ring and not be connected to the car.

It seems mad that you cannot set a priority phone.

It seems to be prioritised as a car, not a phone box.  :D

mcderd

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
A bit of feedback for all those following the thread and who made suggestions. I used AutoMateIT app on my wife's phone to detect our home WiFi, when she goes out of range of the WiFi the app turns her Bluetooth on, by that time my phone is already connected to the car. If she takes the car out on her own, when the app turns her Bluetooth on her phone connects to the car. If we are away from home and both return to the car it connects to my phone (possibly because it was the last one connected) When we get back in range of our home WiFi the app turns off the Bluetooth on my wife's phone. So a little bit of a workaround, but does the trick.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »
A bit of feedback for all those following the thread and who made suggestions. I used AutoMateIT app on my wife's phone to detect our home WiFi, when she goes out of range of the WiFi the app turns her Bluetooth on, by that time my phone is already connected to the car. If she takes the car out on her own, when the app turns her Bluetooth on her phone connects to the car. If we are away from home and both return to the car it connects to my phone (possibly because it was the last one connected) When we get back in range of our home WiFi the app turns off the Bluetooth on my wife's phone. So a little bit of a workaround, but does the trick.

Congratulations, very ingenious.

Tags:

anything