Author Topic: Driving a CVT in snow  (Read 2704 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
Driving a CVT in snow
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »
Does the automatic gearbox handle it all? Is it just slow and steady as she goes? All tips welcome. Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Driving a CVT in snow
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
CVT is good in snow, slow and steady will take up drive smoothly and use highest ratio it can.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Although I haven't tried the deep stuff, 1-2" is no problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:05:59 AM »
I don't know about CVT but a conventional auto is good in the snow as it goes into a higher gear as soon as there is any slip. That was how the winter traction worked on both my Cavalier and S40. It started in a high ratio and kept in the high ratio.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »
In deep snow (10-15cms) I had to disable traction control to get up a 0.5km fairly steep hill. I was the second car up.  Otherwise with TC on, if you got stuck, it would not rev as TC stopped both driving wheels spinning - which was teh only way to get up. (Hump back bridge plus sharp corner ay bottom of hill meant gaining any speed before teh climb was impossible.

Took me three attempts to work out how to do it..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
In deep snow (10-15cms) I had to disable traction control to get up a 0.5km fairly steep hill. I was the second car up.  Otherwise with TC on, if you got stuck, it would not rev as TC stopped both driving wheels spinning - which was teh only way to get up. (Hump back bridge plus sharp corner ay bottom of hill meant gaining any speed before teh climb was impossible.

Took me three attempts to work out how to do it..

It is pretty common to disable traction control in snow  and mud,  even with winter tyres.  I always try to leave it on because it is all tied in with Vehicle Stability Assist and it helps control skids but sometimes it is the last resort to press the 'off' button.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
The cars I had didn't have wheel sensors. They just sensed the engine revs and changed up naturally.

Tags: