Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175483 times)

guest5669

Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
My MPG has dropped dramatically lucky to get 28MPG at the moment also using Shell Nitro very strange. I don't hang around though like to push on as I'm always stuck in traffic due London rollix :P

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »
It does feel a bit more lively with 98 Shell V-Power, but maybe it's a placebo effect? I can't make my mind up on it?

My trials (over 3 years  -on and off) with Shell V Power showed zero difference in mpg or driveability.. (I record all fuel and miles - manual and Fuelly)

guest5798

• Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Quote  carsyguide

With the 1.5-litre engine Honda claimed an average consumption of 5.6 L/100 km for the manual and 5.5 L/100 km for the CVT. 

Hi there from Africa

Iv searched the fuel consumption posts and another forum  and I'm more confused than ever

I loved my 2005 1. 4 jazz for ten years of mostly city driving with no problems except a battery and a fuel pump

I never bothered about calculating fuel efficiency cause I knew she was light

Now I've upgraded to a twenty ten 1.5 ex auto and the computer economy Guage is confusing me

She seems heavier on petrol and the Guage never shows better than 8 L per hundred Or thirty five mpg I think  around town

Yet reading your posts I see talk of fifty plus mpg in town driving

Is that really possible  and realistically what can I expect around town with a light foot

I'd hate to think I have the one heavy on fuel jazz

Thanks

Rob

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Quote  carsyguide

With the 1.5-litre engine Honda claimed an average consumption of 5.6 L/100 km for the manual and 5.5 L/100 km for the CVT. 

Hi there from Africa

Iv searched the fuel consumption posts and another forum  and I'm more confused than ever

I loved my 2005 1. 4 jazz for ten years of mostly city driving with no problems except a battery and a fuel pump

I never bothered about calculating fuel efficiency cause I knew she was light

Now I've upgraded to a twenty ten 1.5 ex auto and the computer economy Guage is confusing me

She seems heavier on petrol and the Guage never shows better than 8 L per hundred Or thirty five mpg I think  around town

Yet reading your posts I see talk of fifty plus mpg in town driving

Is that really possible  and realistically what can I expect around town with a light foot

I'd hate to think I have the one heavy on fuel jazz

Thanks

Rob

I would be very lucky at this time of year in London driving if I get 32MPG at the moment according to my onboard computer screen  :-\

guest5798

• Topic Starter
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Hi
That's what my computer is telling me

Maybe the CVT box is more economical

My box says Park reverse neutral drive  d1 2 and3
Is this the I shift

I've only heard of the I  shift and the CVT

Now I'm wondering what sort of automat box I got

Any ideas

Rob

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

Hi
That's what my computer is telling me

Maybe the CVT box is more economical

My box says Park reverse neutral drive  d1 2 and3
Is this the I shift

I've only heard of the I  shift and the CVT

Now I'm wondering what sort of automat box I got

Any ideas

Rob

It should say iShift on you're gear lever , but I would say there's every little in it between the both gearbox's Tbf?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
It does feel a bit more lively with 98 Shell V-Power, but maybe it's a placebo effect? I can't make my mind up on it?

My trials (over 3 years  -on and off) with Shell V Power showed zero difference in mpg or driveability.. (I record all fuel and miles - manual and Fuelly)

My totally unscientific experience with Shell V Power (2013 Jazz 1.4EX) has been zero noticeable difference in fuel consumption, significant difference in wallet consumption, placebo difference maybe in engine cleaning effect, but TOTALLY DIFFERENT in terms of power and acceleration. It's very hilly round here and I sure can tell when I am running on the V-Power fuel when I put my foot down. I used to treat the Jazz to a full tank of it every third fill up, with the intention of giving the engine a bit of a clean.

I have traded the Jazz now for a diesel H-RV and have not yet used the uprated diesel for that. However, my son still runs our 2005 1.4 Jazz, and, since I pay his fuel bills, I encourage him to put V-Power in every third tank.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »

My totally unscientific experience with Shell V Power (2013 Jazz 1.4EX) has been zero noticeable difference in fuel consumption, significant difference in wallet consumption, placebo difference maybe in engine cleaning effect, but TOTALLY DIFFERENT in terms of power and acceleration. It's very hilly round here and I sure can tell when I am running on the V-Power fuel when I put my foot down. I used to treat the Jazz to a full tank of it every third fill up, with the intention of giving the engine a bit of a clean.

I have traded the Jazz now for a diesel H-RV and have not yet used the uprated diesel for that. However, my son still runs our 2005 1.4 Jazz, and, since I pay his fuel bills, I encourage him to put V-Power in every third tank.

There was a very noticeable difference in 'driveability' with my Jazzes and possibly even more with my Civic by using higher octane fuel,  Honda engines have knock sensors and a good ECU capable of adjusting ignition and injectors to make full use of better fuel.  If you can resist temptation to use extra performance you can get more MPG  with cleaner pickup and no pinking on hills ( I have tried it many times),  but if you use the extra performance you probably won't get better MPG.   Older cars or cars with more  basic ECU may not respond well to higher octane fuel,  I know my motorbike ( carburettor and no ECU ) actually seems to run worse with higher octane.

Comparisons between MPG achieved are meaningless unless under pretty constant driving conditions as far as traffic, hills and road speeds are concerned,  its a bit like comparing apples and oranges.   I used to do exactly the same 80 mile return commute 5 days a week at same times in same traffic, winter and summer and could easily see the difference in MPG I was getting between basic 95 and higher octane fuels (even between different brands of same octane fuel) obviously more in warmer weather anyway no matter what fuel you use, also tried supermarket fuel sometimes when desperate to fill up and noted that car didn't run as well. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:02:40 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 03:10:56 AM »
but if you use the extra performance you probably won't get better MPG

He he. That is me! I would agree 100%.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
 I have a 2012 CVT  Jazz, I keep a record of all fuel purchased since new. The car has now done 37000 miles and MPG is 41, I do mostly shorter journeys and give it a good longer run at weekends usually. I have done a few checks on MPG at various times, after a good long motorway round trip of 500 miles it returned 55MPG. The worst figures were in the first year when the engine was running in, that was 36 MPG. I have been running it on supermarket super unleaded  for the last 2 years, and noticed a slight improvement in performance, but not MPG, but as the supermarket super unleaded is the same price as the regular unleaded at other stations it seems worth it to me. The on-board computer is very optimistic and I take little notice of it in regard to MPG

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
I merely noted the speedo reading when filled up and then at my next fill, divided fuel by distance and got 44mpg.  That is very mixed driving, in a country area but also includes a fortnightly thrash down the A30 approximately 105 miles round trip depending which route I take.
The sad thing is now HM government has allowed HGV's to travel at higher speed it means often in order to overtake, 80mph is the order of the day. Before the purists tell me what a naughty boy I am, I object to sitting behind a gurt big 44 tonner chucking back stones, mud and those lovely carcinogenic fumes. That's without the latest trick of one trying to pass another with exactly the same top speed. Two trips back one of these luvlies took over 2 miles to pass the other. You can imagine the tail back that caused.
Where was plod? probably drinking tea somewhere.

Good post,
Plasma.

guest5798

• Topic Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »

Ok

Finally I filled the tank and done two or three  free way trips

The rest around town

Km devided by litres gave me eight litres per hundred which I think is thirty five mpg

Nothing to write home about

And the computer readout varies all the time
What's the correct way to use it

when it says seven litres per hundred is it referring to the consumption at that instant or since you last reset the km Guage or since you first bought the car

Or since you last started the car

Finally the vtec engine

Has anyone seen a good post on how best to use it

I read it only kicks in at five thou which I never see with my automatic

What's the point of having it

Still in love though

Rob

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
On the point of the i vetch I remember reading, when I had my Civic, that it can be set up in different ways in the factory and in most cars it's set up for lower down torque and economy but in performance cars like the Type R it is set up for performance and the power really kicks in at 5,000.

Don't ask me about the technicalities though!

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
For the benefit of newer forum members, here is a link to all about the VTEC  http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/
Enjoy !

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »
Well I'm trying to get my mpg above 50.

But the computer thingy currently reads 43.4 , it did read 44 last weekend.

Driving very carefully, upshifting with the dash light , accelerating slowly.

Used to have a heavy right foot. :D

Was hoping to get 50 mpg , to be honest I'm getting almost the same weekly fuel costs as my old 52reg D4D Rav4 with 145'000 on the clock.

Been putting in £20 a week,  so not as economical as I thought it would be.

Its a well designed,  light,  spacious,  modern, reliable and comfortable car....but I thought it would be much cheaper to run fuel wise.

Tags:

anything