Author Topic: Auto stop and battery indicator  (Read 40393 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Auto stop and battery indicator
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
I think stop/start systems are a good thing mainly for air quality. The fuel savings are, as has been pointed out, slight. Where they are a nuisance, as pointed out by equaliser, is in the CVT. I don't like having to keep my foot on the footbrake because it's slightly uncomfortable at longer stops. In saying that, a lot of manual drivers keep their foot on the footbrake as well - it seems to be the way people drive these days.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
After more than two years of automatically,  disabling auto stop. Frankly, I couldn't remember, just, why I did it.

So, this morning we drove our usual journey to the shops, and back. Apart from a momentary stop/ start, in the car park, all was normal.

This afternoon we did the same thing. Different shops, the other direction.
 All was normal, until a mile from home. An uphill right turn across approaching traffic. Unknown to me, the engine was stopped, adding another 1/2 second to the already slow acceleration time! No problem. But unsettling.

It works so rarely, it catches me out...... That's why I don't like it!

I live in a rural location, with little traffic. Rarely do any town driving. Never, any city driving.
 If the car is at a standstill, the handbrake is applied. Always has been, for the past 55 yrs.

My driving style is not compatible with stop/ start. Nothing to do with, "wearing it out".

Incidentally.
 Seaside trip, tomorrow. 90mins motorway, there and back. Not much scope for stop/ start there, either!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:43:24 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
I've just noticed that most of the folks saying they don't like it are CVT drivers. Maybe there's something about the CVT that makes Idle-Stop particularly infuriating ?

Looking at the situation described here:
... An uphill right turn across approaching traffic ...
I assume you're not describing waiting at traffic lights, just waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic. In my manual car, I would be poised for a hillstart. That is, I would have the handbrake on (but left hand on it ready to release quickly), car in gear, clutch depressed, right foot hovering on the gas pedal. Idle-Stop would not stop the engine in that situation unless I took the car out of gear and lifted the clutch, so there would be no unnecessary pause when moving off. I've never driven a CVT, so I don't know how a CVT driver would be waiting in this situation: what is the combination of controls that stops the engine?

I don't quite understand this:
... Unknown to me, the engine was stopped, ...
It's easy to miss hearing or feeling the engine stopping, but there are at least two indications on the instrument panel (the tacho would have dropped to zero and the right-hand display would have lit up with a big "A" symbol).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2020, 08:41:10 AM »
Problem with auto stop is that in towns where it is probably most applicable for air quality the car may not do enough miles to keep battery charged and operate properly,  and like Dayjo who lives in a rural area ( like I do ) auto stop no real benefit as most stops tend to be short and infrequent.  A lot of car automation is like marmite,  you either love it or hate it,  everyone in our family who has auto stop start disables it and when I have been in cars as a passenger it annoys me that engine stops as soon as car does,  no run-on delay to account for just a quick stop.  I have stood on carparks and been amused when cars stopping at carpark junctions have had engine stop ( even though car has just really paused at the junction ) - lets just say a lot of tech is badly implemented and flakey and to many people more of an annoyance than a benefit.  There is no doubt that auto stop was used by car makers to game the emissions by having engine stopped for part of the tests,  and what do car makers care if 10 year old cars have problems caused bu $R5E ( auto restart system engines ).   On my brothers car his auto braking has caused problems on country lanes on tight bends and when going past cars and it has picked up on bushes and applied the brakes - as I said before he has a checklist to turn things off before every journey... he often said he wishes he had kept his previous lower tech cars.  As for auto lights and wipers - if you don't know when to turn lights and wipers on,  or are too preoccupied on you phone etc to notice its raining or gone dark you shouldn't really be in charge of a vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:45:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »
It's easy to miss hearing or feeling the engine stopping, but there are at least two indications on the instrument panel (the tacho would have dropped to zero and the right-hand display would have lit up with a big "A" symbol).

When you are looking out for traffic at junctions there is no reason to be looking at dash to check if engine has stopped 'this time' or not.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2020, 09:46:09 AM »
I suppose whether you like auto stop or not, is really a mental issue. Like most oldies, I come from a generation, where if your engine stopped, whilst driving, you would immediately think there was something wrong and be prepared to get your spanners out !!! ;D ;D

The problem with auto stop and the CVT, is the necessity to keep you foot on the brake to keep it stopped.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »
An uphill right turn across approaching traffic. Unknown to me, the engine was stopped, adding another 1/2 second to the already slow acceleration time!
This is the single biggest reason I now own a Yaris hybrid now it doesn’t matter if  the engine is running or not. The auto stop function and lack of acceleration on the cvt irritated me enough to swap the car. I’ve popped back up on this forum as I’m very interested in the new Jazz the Yaris is not as versatile as the Honda. Might one day find the perfect car ?

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »
I've just noticed that most of the folks saying they don't like it are CVT drivers. Maybe there's something about the CVT that makes Idle-Stop particularly infuriating ?

The CVT idle-stop works by pressing the brake pedal firmly when you come to a stop. It can be quite a challenge to find the correct pedal pressure so as to not activate it but the big problem is you have to maintain brake pedal pressure (with brake lights glaring the driver behind) or the engine restarts. Also, if you drive into a parking space and the idle-stop kicks in, as soon as you move the gear selector to put it into Park (P) etc the engine restarts and you have to turn it off again manually - so wasteful and very annoying. In the manuals it's not a deal breaker to me and can be very useful but in the CVT it's not been properly thought out hence the differing opinions offered on this topic.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
Not much consolation for you Jazz owners but they fixed this on the 2019 face lift for the HR-V CVT. 

Make sure that you set the brake hold on when you start the engine (I personally wish that this was the default), when you come to a stop with light pressure on the brake (my normal mode of driving), the brake hold activates and you can take you foot off the brake.  If you come to a halt with firm pressure on the brake pedal, the engine cuts out and you can then take you foot of the pedal and it stays off.

Put slight pressure on the accelerator and the engine starts (i.e. when the traffic lights start to change).  Further pressure on the accelerator releases the brake. 

Perfect solution in my view.  Well with the exception that your brake lights are on all the time that you are stopped.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:50:30 PM by ColinS »

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »
Personally I find the auto-stop with the CVT less irritating than on the manual. Granted I'm aware I might be annoying someone behind me with the brake lights being lit while I'm stopped, but in the time it takes me to take my foot off the brake and onto the accelerator, then engine has started and we're ready to go. Unlike the manual where you had to be putting the car into gear and also taking off the handbrake.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
Unlike the manual where you had to be putting the car into gear and also taking off the handbrake.
I sit with the car in gear, foot on the clutch and handbrake on with button pressed. As soon as light turns Red and Amber clutch comes up, handbrake off and the moment the light turns Green off I go.
Today I was behind a new Vauxhall. Driver waited on the Green before taking his foot from the footbrake. By the time the car started and he moved off I wondered if I would get over the line before the light went back to Amber.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
Not much consolation for you Jazz owners but they fixed this on the 2019 face lift for the HR-V CVT. 

Make sure that you set the brake hold on when you start the engine (I personally wish that this was the default), when you come to a stop with light pressure on the brake (my normal mode of driving), the brake hold activates and you can take you foot off the brake.  If you come to a halt with firm pressure on the brake pedal, the engine cuts out and you can then take you foot of the pedal and it stays off.

Put slight pressure on the accelerator and the engine starts (i.e. when the traffic lights start to change).  Further pressure on the accelerator releases the brake. 

Perfect solution in my view.  Well with the exception that your brake lights are on all the time that you are stopped.
Sounds perfect, wish it was like that from the start. Does the new MK4 Jazz/Crosstar have this function?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »
I sit with the car in gear, foot on the clutch and handbrake on with button pressed. As soon as light turns Red and Amber clutch comes up, handbrake off and the moment the light turns Green off I go.
There is no CVT equivalent for preparing for a quick start into a traffic gap, as you have to keep your foot on the brake until the gap is there, and then move your foot to the accelerator which takes time.  This delay applies regardless of the auto-stop system, so little time is gained by turning it off. Overall, I have found that the CVT encourages a more relaxed driving style.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:00:10 PM by Downsizer »

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
Overall, I have found that the CVT encourages a more relaxed driving style.
I couldn't agree more, and is the reason I choose the CVT, it's so relaxing to drive, smooth acceleration but power is there if you really need it.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
Just to add another aspect.....
 Several auto drivers, mention moving their foot from brake, to accelerator.... I use a foot on each pedal. Much safer.

Today's seaside trip....
 M1, M18, M180 to Cleethorpes, and back. Constant cruise control 70mph, wherever possible. 155 miles. At 56.1mpg (Fibometer reading). I'm a bit pleased with that.

The stop/ start, stuttered twice, in Cleethorpes carpark.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Tags:

anything