Author Topic: Automatic Headlights separate topic  (Read 28979 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Automatic Headlights separate topic
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
I see you use the word "demand" in your post, that is a good way of building a good relationship with your dealer. A pleasant attitude often works wonders when you want help or an explanation. As it happens there was a heavy shower I drove through this morning, both my wipers and lights came on a couple of minutes apart. Excellent as far as I am concerned as there was heavy spray and I would have put the lights on anyway. None of my previous cars would have done this, so the Jazz lights are a bit more sensitive, good news in my opinion, see and be seen. I really can't understand why lights coming on is a big problem.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:57:37 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
Auto lights do not flash, they have a built in delay to prevent flashing.
The ones on the Jazz, yes. They always seem to stay on for several seconds. I think they could go off then back on almost immediately but they won't flash in a way that a driver would flash them.
The lights are not in any way linked to the wipers
I don't agree with that. Auto lights on the Jazz range have always been a bit loopy. Previously I owned a Mk2 and they'd come on at inappropriate times as well. I began to suspect a link to the temperature sensor because they'd often come on when it was bright but cold (eg; a cloudless winter's day, or very early on a spring morning when the sun was fully up but the temperature still cold from the night). The Mk3 seems to have the same foibles. I got used to them on the Mk2 but the Mk3 has several times surprised me by coming on during a brief rain shower. They go off shortly after the wipers stop even though to my eyes light levels haven't changed.

I would be amazed if Honda did not monitor this website.
Sadly I wouldn't. The contact I've had with Honda recently and several questionable design decisions suggests to me that don't give a rats knackers about us as customers. I have a theory that it might be because the Jazz is no longer built in the UK. They may simply not be in a position to influence the design and have therefore decided it's not worth listening to customer feedback.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:44:58 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:22:39 AM »
Two of my previous cars have had adjustable auto light sensitivity accessed in the cars setup menus. The factory default was (say) 50%. I would run with the sensitivity up at 75%. My Jazz seems to have sensitivity set at higher than the 100% of my previous cars. I have no problem with this, I would rather the lights were on than off if there is the slightest chance of someone saying "Sorry I didn't see you" after a collision. I have driven HGVs and can assure you that a car overtaking without headlights on can disappear in your spray on very wet roads no matter how bright the ambient light is.

I think that comparing the Mk2 and Mk3 Jazz models features is a non starter. The Mk3 is a complete redesign from the ground up and is a totally different car. I suppose the Jazz badge on the back may have been carried over, but little else. :-)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:20:56 PM by Deeps »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
I would be amazed if Honda did not monitor this website.

Sadly I wouldn't. The contact I've had with Honda recently and several questionable design decisions suggests to me that don't give a rats knackers about us as customers. I have a theory that it might be because the Jazz is no longer built in the UK. They may simply not be in a position to influence the design and have therefore decided it's not worth listening to customer feedback.

You must remember that Honda sells cars by the tens of thousands,  one or two customers complaining about something they personally don't like is insignificant. A large number of customers, hundreds complaining about the same defect will get their attention big time.

There is a big difference between the personal dislike of a feature and a defect.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:43:31 PM by Deeps »

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
My experience with Ford auto wipers and auto lights is that when used together the headlights come on when the wipers operate continuously. When the wipers change to intermittent the lights stay for a while just in case the rain gets heavier causing the wipers to operate continuously again, this reduces the flashing effect.  Both auto systems are totally switchable at all times so if you don't want them they can be switched off and operated manually.

guest6316

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »
Yes I agree with John there are some 'frustrating' anomalies with the auto headlight function. Even in dullish conditions with visibility good the damn things come on similarly with very light rain and I suppose a little dull. In these conditions the running LED's are sufficient I would have thought headlights are completely unecessary

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
In these conditions the running LED's are sufficient I would have thought headlights are completely unnecessary

Not all drivers have good eyesight, in fact a lot are illegal. At least the auto lights put your rear lights on, it might just save you from a rear ending one day.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
In these conditions the running LED's are sufficient I would have thought headlights are completely unnecessary

Not all drivers have good eyesight, in fact a lot are illegal. At least the auto lights put your rear lights on, it might just save you from a rear ending one day.

I am less than happy that DRL's don't put rear lights on, but I assume most people think they do  :-X I used to see muppets running on DRL's only in early morning darkness and mist with no rear lights on - I guess DAYLIGHT running lights doesn't ring a bell with them - these people worry me more than someone driving with less than perfect eyesight -   reminds me of a quote I saw recently.

'Being dead is not a problem for you because you don't know you are dead, it is only a problem for other people - it's the same when you are stupid'.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:08:43 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »
With the current state of technology any auto system is an aid, to be overridden when it does not fine tune itself to your personal likes and dislikes or the current situation. We have all heard of people getting into trouble by blindly following satnav directions. Satnavs, and maps for that matter are only aids to navigation. Using a brain to assist these auto systems is a must for the present.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
... any auto system is an aid, to be overridden when it does not fine tune itself to your personal likes and dislikes or the current situation ... Using a brain to assist these auto systems is a must for the present.
A noble thought, but I think the reason for the dissatisfaction (I hesitate to call it a complaint ;D) being expressed here by some contributors is that you can't override this particular system and use your brain. If the computer decides the lights ought to be on, you can't switch them off.

Personally I'm OK with how they work, and if it avoids ...
... muppets running on DRL's only in early morning darkness and mist with no rear lights on ...
... then I don't really see it as a problem that they are sometimes on when a human might not have switched them on.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »
I have no problem with having my lights on when the are not really necessary, sometimes headlights are better than DRLs even in bright sunlight. I am happy to let the car do its own thing unless the car does not put the lights on when they are required (fog or spray on a bright day for example) or fast non dual carriageway rural roads. Headlights are vital on the A9 at any time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:15:56 PM by Deeps »

guest6316

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
Couldn't agree more Culzean, my original comments were centred around daylight good visibility conditions. I assumed the application of common sense applied. If conditions are different than that then headlights on - no question. If you cant see with excellent visibility then chances are other drivers cant see you.

Tags: