Author Topic: Automatic Headlights separate topic  (Read 28925 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Automatic Headlights separate topic
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
The switch you refer to may also be the switch that operates the 'handbrake on' warning, both visual and audible, if you attempt to drive off with the handbrake on.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
Are you sure the auto headlights are linked to the handbrake? With the CVT version I can turn the lights off once the gear shift is in P irrespective of the handbrake being on or not.

For me, the main problem with the lights is the linkage to the wipers - encounter a shower of rain and the lights come on and then stay on for several minutes. I wonder if the car is using the image from the camera to determine the lighting and gets confused by contrast. Tree shadows can trigger the lights on sunny days but not on dull ones and a petrol station canopy is enough to cause the lights to come on. A good idea but badly implemented, at least for UK conditions.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

different1936

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 honda jazzs
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
hi vic my jazz is the honda jazz manual transmission and the lights are definitely linked to the
handbrake this was pointed out to me by the foreman mechanic at my local honda dealer
i agree that one of the two wires on the plug that attaches to the handbrake will be the earth wire that
is part of the dash warning light that shows the handbrake is applied i have feeling that if i remove the
other wire that is part of the headlight circuit it will flag an error on the dashboard,but this is only a hunch on my part.
i have not been able to find any legislation that requires the headlights to come on automatically the plain fact is
that honda should have made the vehicle so that once the lights had been over ridden they stayed off until the
were turned on again manually,i am afraid it is the mobile phone syndrome if there is capacity on the chip the geeks in the head shed will fill itwith up systems you never thought you needed,the auto lights is. one such thing in my opinion

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »

Do not touch the handbrake switch, you will solve one problem and you will get two or three.
If you want to switch off the auto headlight feature, you'll have to change your car settings using the Honda HDS diagnostic tool, and every Honda dealer should have it. Sometimes mechanics don't know how to use it (apart for standard operations like erasing engine errors, setting new keys or new cpu, enabling airbags after crash...), but this is the correct and only way to do it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:47:18 PM by jazzaro »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
I followed a new Skoda the other day down some country lanes with overhead trees,  his rear lights kept flashing on and off, my wife though it was his brake lights but was only sidelights as the high level brake light not coming on,  I could just imagine his headlights flashing on and off - there should be a decent inbuilt delay to allow for situations like this.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

different1936

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 honda jazzs
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
thanks for that jazzaro  thought it would not be so simple,have you ,or do you know anyone
who has had this auto headlight feature turned off by going into the cars software by a dealer,
reason i ask is that the other day i pulled up at some traffic lights and the guy in the car in front
leapt out and demanded to know why i was flashing my headlights at him he did not seem convinced
that i had no control over said lights. i am of the opinion that these lights could be a danger to your
continued good health if the wrong type of person is in front of you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »
Does not bode well for the future of autonomous cars if they cannot even get the auto headlights working properly.  There are many subtle and magical things that the human mind does that computers cannot replicate, I would guess not ever..................  Knowing when to turn your lights and wipers on is a very simple thing in the grand scheme of things.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
Does not bode well for the future of autonomous cars if they cannot even get the auto headlights working properly.  There are many subtle and magical things that the human mind does that computers cannot replicate, I would guess not ever..................  Knowing when to turn your lights and wipers on is a very simple thing in the grand scheme of things.

+1

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
I cannot understand why Honda didn't simply carry the auto headlight system from the Mk2, where the auto headlights have a positive 'off', position over to the Mk3.
Since flashing your headlights is now accepted as a means of giving someone the right of way I think auto headlights and the way they function are unacceptably dangerous.
If,as a driver, you don't know when to turn your headlights you shouldn't be driving at all.

Vic.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »
I cannot understand why Honda didn't simply carry the auto headlight system from the Mk2, where the auto headlights have a positive 'off', position over to the Mk3.
Since flashing your headlights is now accepted as a means of giving someone the right of way I think auto headlights and the way they function are unacceptably dangerous.
If,as a driver, you don't know when to turn your headlights you shouldn't be driving at all.

Vic.
It might be acceptable to you, but not to everyone.   If misunderstood, it can be very dangerous.   In your final sentence, you state that "If, as a driver, you don't know when to turn your headlights you shouldn't be driving at all."

The same could be said for letting drivers make their own decisions.   Stick to the Highway Code rules and driving is fairly simple.   Give ample room for others, drive with consideration and let them make their own minds up.

Just a thought.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »

Vic.
It might be acceptable to you, but not to everyone.   

I didn't say that it was acceptable to me.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »

Vic.
It might be acceptable to you, but not to everyone.   If misunderstood, it can be very dangerous.   In your final sentence, you state that "If, as a driver, you don't know when to turn your headlights you shouldn't be driving at all."

The same could be said for letting drivers make their own decisions.   Stick to the Highway Code rules and driving is fairly simple.   Give ample room for others, drive with consideration and let them make their own minds up.

Just a thought.

As long as I have been driving (a long time) flashing of headlights has always been accepted as - 'I am giving way to you, come on through' - everyone I talk to thinks the same, I don't know where this flashing of headlights came to mean 'look out I am coming through' (why would you signal at all if you were going to carry on they way you were going).  Maybe it is a regional thing in UK, but when I was living in South Africa and Australia people there took it to mean 'I am giving way to you' as well. It is the nearest thing to an internationally accepted signal that I can think of.  It doesn't seem that highway code condones this,  but there are lots of things drivers do that are not in the highway code - how else are you going to signal someone out of a side road,  or on a narrow stretch of road where there is only room for one car and the other car may be 100metres away (just sit there looking at each other or walk down to the other vehicle and say 'excuse me old chap I am quite willing for you to proceed before I do',  when I have flashed my headlights at someone they have never just sat there waiting for me to come through but immediately understood I was calling them through - I don't know where this confusion has come from (may not be regional but more a generational thing).  A bit of common sense never went amiss, I only move when someone flashes me if their car is actually stationary,  if their car is moving my self-preservation kicks in and I stay where I am.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:23:14 PM by culzean »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »
A few thoughts on auto lights. I have only had my Jazz for a week but my last five cars have had auto lights.

Auto lights do not flash, they have a built in delay to prevent flashing. The lights are not in any way linked to the wipers, if they are both in auto and a big black cloud turns up and dumps water they both may activate at the same time. American spec cars may have a link between the systems as it is law in some states to have lights on if you are using wipers (Florida is one). There is no problem with having lights on in the dark, a hard on switch is far more important than a hard off switch. Many people use headlights in rural areas during the day to aid being seen in bright light and it also means that idiots can't drive in poor light without lights.

The Jazz is fitted with a Yuasa YBX 7053 EFB battery. Enhanced Flooded Batteries are far more durable than standard car batteries, all the details are on the Yuasa website. The car will do its best to maintain its charge and the headlights being on for a few seconds are no problem for the battery.

Dealer and manufacturers workers roll their eyes at serial complainers and Mr Honda is not going to change the design of a car because of a few serial complainers when the vast majority of owners are delighted with their cars, a little pre purchase research and discussion with a dealer would solve the suitability problem by not buying a car that you were not happy with.

I would be amazed if Honda did not monitor this website.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:14:12 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
A few thoughts on auto lights. I have only had my Jazz for a week but my last five cars have had auto lights.

Auto lights do not flash, they have a built in delay to prevent flashing. The lights are not in any way linked to the wipers, if they are both in auto and a big black cloud turns up and dumps water they both may activate at the same time. American spec cars may have a link between the systems as it is law in some states to have lights on if you are using wipers (Florida is one). There is no problem with having lights on in the dark, a hard on switch is far more important than a hard off switch. Many people use headlights in rural areas during the day to aid being seen in bright light and it also means that idiots can't drive in poor light without lights.

The Jazz is fitted with a Yuasa YBX 7053 EFB battery. Enhanced Flooded Batteries are far more durable than standard car batteries, all the details are on the Yuasa website. The car will do its best to maintain its charge and the headlights being on for a few seconds are no problem for the battery.

Dealer and manufacturers workers roll their eyes at serial complainers and Mr Honda is not going to change the design of a car because of a few serial complainers when the vast majority of owners are delighted with their cars, a little pre purchase research and discussion with a dealer would solve the suitability problem by not buying a car that you were not happy with.

I would be amazed if Honda did not monitor this website.

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/

I followed a new Skoda the other day in broad daylight through a tree lined road with patches of shade,  I thought he was using his brakes (but the clue was he was going uphill and his high level brakelight was not coming on).  His normal rear sidelights, which I assume come on with  auto headlights were flashing on and off in quite a short space of time - made me wonder what the 'switch on delay' time was. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:15:28 PM by culzean »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
The lights are not in any way linked to the wipers, if they are both in auto and a big black cloud turns up and dumps water they both may activate at the same time.
You may wish to review this statement after you have driven through an isolated heavy shower on an otherwise sunny day when conditions remain clear and bright. This situation definitely triggers the lights on my Jazz, so if it does not on yours then Honda have modified the software (which I would like to know so I can demand an update when my car goes in for its first service next month).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: