Author Topic: 2007 1.4 DSI SE - Engine Noise - ratlle on acceleration  (Read 7079 times)

guest4639

2007 1.4 DSI SE - Engine Noise - ratlle on acceleration
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Hi everyone, just bought a second hand Jazz, 50,500 miles 2007 reg car (a week ago). Upgraded from a Corsa, primarily based on Honda's well known reliability. Full Honda Service History, 1 previous owner. Noticed a rattle / tapping type sound on acceleration, I can sometimes hear it very clearly when the car is parked up and I rev it lightly, seems to kick in around 2,000 + revs. It is very noticeable when the car is warm (after my 28 mile commute home). Almost sounds similar to the timing belt rattle I had on the Corsa (but not as loud). Its different to the ticking sound the engine has anyway, hard to hear it when the car is running as the other engine / road noises drown it out, but when parked up it seems noticeable. Strange thing is its not a constant noise, I heard it parked up, with my window down - decided to drive to my mechanic to book car in, and tried to get the noise back outside the mechanics and it was purring like a kitten.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be. The car has a 3 month warranty (not bought from Honda dealer) but I suspect that's not worth the paper its written on. Aside from that noise, very happy with my purchase!! Thanks in advance.

guest4512

• Topic Starter
Re: 2007 1.4 DSI SE - Engine Noise - ratlle on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
Sorry, can't assist on the mechanical side, but the sale of goods act protects you more than the warranty, so if you have a major fault they need to repair etc.

Take it back and have them look at it

guest4639

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »
Hi moob,

Thanks for the reply. My mechanic thinks it might be the input shaft bearing (which I believe is a common issue), he thinks its starting to go, so not sure if that would qualify as a major fault, and I'm sure the place I bought the car from will try their best to avoid shelling out the £600 - £800 (?) to put this right if they can. It doesn't seem as bad after a full tank of Shell V Power, so it's maybe nothing, still have contacted Honda to see what they might be prepared to do if it is ISB as car is 7 years 1 month old (so a month out of extended warranty,) but only 51,000 on the clock. Fingers crossed its nothing, and if it is that Honda come though for me.

Thanks again.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
My 2005 1.4 has 'the gearbox issue' and it is a distinct noise, right from start-up. If you dip the clutch it goes. Sometimes it is like a loud 'grumble' other times it is barely there. It is on 1, 2 and 3 so 4th and 5th is ok. If it is early stages you could try some Molyslip in the gearbox, if that works and it is quiet, then frankly, sell it quick.
Honda might help you, as it is FHSH and reasonably young, try them.
On the other hand, are you certain it is the gearbox, not topend noise or a bit of piston slap?

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Hi moob,

Thanks for the reply. My mechanic thinks it might be the input shaft bearing (which I believe is a common issue), he thinks its starting to go, so not sure if that would qualify as a major fault, and I'm sure the place I bought the car from will try their best to avoid shelling out the £600 - £800 (?) to put this right if they can. It doesn't seem as bad after a full tank of Shell V Power, so it's maybe nothing, still have contacted Honda to see what they might be prepared to do if it is ISB as car is 7 years 1 month old (so a month out of extended warranty,) but only 51,000 on the clock. Fingers crossed its nothing, and if it is that Honda come though for me.

Thanks again.
If it is still an issue, i'd go for the dealer. Approach him and if no joy visit trading standards.

guest4639

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply Interlock, in that case I don't think mine is gearbox - this is an occasional noise, seem to hear it more when the car is in neutral and I rev to around 2000 rpm, sometimes it is there sometimes its not, but wouldn't say its a pronounced or distinct noise (little bit like the timing chain rattle I used to get on my old Corsa).Strangely enough seems to happen more if the car is facing uphill.  Also seems to happen less after going through a full tank of Shell V Power.

Moob - I am going to put the car into a Honda garage, just so they can check it over, its still been only about 3 weeks I have had it - so if they uncover anything serious I can go back to dealer with a Honda diagnosis (not a 'my mechanic says'...... opinion).  I'm just waiting to hear back to see if they will cover under warranty (if it is gearbox) before I book it in to my local Honda place.

Thanks for your help guys

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
I remember noises being mentioned a while ago and it turned out to be a shield on the exhaust rattling.

Dave

Tags: