Author Topic: my car is bad on fuel!!!!!  (Read 13463 times)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: my car is bad on fuel!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
I just filled up and done the usual calculation on fuel use and it came up 47 mpg!!

The highest I have achieved since owning from new in apr 07.

guest436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
Ref. super unleaded...

Super unleaded like BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power do two things. Firstly, super unleaded has a higher octane rating (98 RON Vs 95) for a higher resistance to engine knocking. Second....it contains more and better fuel additives to clean out the fuel system and prevent grime collecting in the system if used regularly. That's the theory....

Judging by my 1.8-litre Civic it's unlikely that the Jazz will see any benefit using super unleaded in terms of performance or economy. It may clean out the fuel system though. Shell, Esso & BP's 95 RON unleaded does contain some fuel additives over Tesco's so I would keep to this middle ground and use the branded normal unleaded.

TBH though, I think poor mpg is at least 75% driving conditions....stop/start, cold weather, etc, etc.

I would never use injector cleaners in newer cars, at least not still under warranty (in case anyone with newer cars are considering)

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
Has anyone given a thought to the fact that your favouite fuel supplier maybe supplying fuel blended with ETHANOL, it is well known across the "pond" where the use of ,ethanol blending is widely used ,can cause a 10% increase in fuel consumption.
  It is difficult to get  definative information on this subject but it might be worth trying a switch of supplier to see if it has any effect.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
Mad Jazz, what did your previous cars do on mpg?
+
What changed the car the driver or the weather.....

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
I think that UK law would ensure that the petrol supplier would have to advertise it at the pump if the petrol was blended with ethanol. 

I fill up with Premium petrol from Esso or BP occasionally and certainly notice the difference in smoothness and extra MPG.  It seems to clean the system out and the effect lasts for a while - it may be cheaper to put in a system cleaner at between £5 to £10 a bottle every 6 months than to pay an extra 10p per litre for premium though.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:27 AM »
I too have noticed with my previous 98 Civic VTi that the car ran better on fuels from Esso, BP and Shell.  The engine always felt strained when using Tescos - ie. less 'oomph'.

I later discovered the reason why Tesco advertise their fuel as 'green', is because it does contain up to 5% bio-ethanol.

In Southeast, I understand Tesco source their supplies from the Greenergy Vopak terminal by the Thames - source of the contaminated fuel fiasco affecting Tescos and Asda a few years back.

http://www.greenergy.com/Products/index.html

I've avoided the stuff ever since.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:41:07 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »
I understand that by European law petrol can be blended by up to 5% Ethanol I have yet to see a pump anywhere that states this. Can we assume that the lack of any notification means there is no ethanol present. I think not

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
From Car Magazine, March 2009:

"Virtually all pump fuel in the UK is likely to contain some ethanol, probably 5%".

"Ethanol contains 30% less energy than petrol so your touring range is slightly reduced".

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »
If you want some definitve research info on this whole subject go to Car Bibles.com, click on to Fuel and Engine Bible and scroll down and read the results of much painstaking research by a Chris Longhurst. Be prepared though as there is a lot of info to similate.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
Recently filled up with petrol and reset the trip meter at a garage that was at the top of a long steep hill. Left the garage and went down the hill, more than half a mile with foot off the throttle. By the time I got to the bottom the display was showing 138 mpg, although when I got home it was back to 42.
I tend to fill up anywhere that is convenient when I am low on fuel. I find that different brands froth up at different rates and make the pump cut out sooner or later, so you can get in more of some brands. Therefore if you want to calculate the actual fuel consumption accurately you need to return to the same petrol station and preferably the same pump.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
Did a journey from Shrewsbury to Liverpool and back today, filled up soon after starting out and zeroed the trip mileage.  When I got home the mpg display was 59.5, pretty good for mixed motorway and main road, didn't hang around either. 
1.4SE Jazz GE with 55K on the clock - I normally cover 250 miles a week just getting to work and back and am getting about 54mpg just lately now the weather is 'warming up'!!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Just filled up and worked out the fuel consumption. It worked out at 47.5mpg!

Finally mpg nearer the official figures

guest928

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
Hi JazzyB,
my 52 plate with 103,000 needs a new EGR valve and the fuel consumption around town has dropped by 10mpg to less tahn 40, my best was 57 (B4 the EGR prob !)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
Im not sure of the cost of an egr valve but its easily accessible on top of the engine. Left side of engine when standing in front.

guest928

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
Hi JazzyB,
I have already located it and if you take it off and give it a clean this will last a few hundered miles b4 the engine warning light comes on again. I just don't think you can get a new one unless you pay a lot for one from Honda.

Tags:

anything