Author Topic: First weeks with Crosstar.  (Read 2511 times)

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
First weeks with Crosstar.
« on: October 24, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
Hi All. got my crossbar in Mid Oct - just before we had a few days away. Here are the results so far.
No Econ selected. 2 front seat passengers - just above normal weight!! 2 large cases and other bags in the back so 1.5 extra passenger weight. Distance 300 miles. No motorway driving. Large portion 40 - 60 mph roads, some 70 mph Duals, 25% town driving. Both days out and back about 15 degrees air temp. Tyres are Goodyears.
First trip.  Tank 3/4 full at start. Fuel average showed 56 mpg. Battery charge in the main was showing 35 - 65%. At times went down to 20% and very occasionally went to 100%.
Second trip. Tank full at start. Full average showed 57 mpg. Battery charge in the main was showing 35 - 65%. At times went down to 20% and very occasionally went to 100%.
Performance - well great. No hesitation either with foot light or heavy on throttle. Didn't do and Porlock like hills - but some were steep. On the odd occasion when I would have thought about passing a slow tractor with the  HRV I didn't with the crossbar - just for down  - and it went. OK - you could hear the engine in this state - but if the throttle was tight it was very quiet as as didn't get into high revs - so no noise. General ride was very quiet - depending on road surface of course. We could have the sound on quite low so we could actually talk without shouting but the road noise didn't really show. The sound system is excellent. It was so easy to forget the gears etc. No hesitation when accelerating - and it went like a bat out of hell unto about 60 mph - you were pushed back into the seats - on that matter we did stints of 2 hours - no problem - a full 7 hours of driving - no problem.
My conclusion is that if there are only 1 or 2 passengers the mpg will go up, also if you start with mainly town driving the mpg will go high very quick and fall slowly - so mpg of 60 will show - but if you go off at 60 mph on main roads the mpg will be lower - as per my drives - also the lower the tank as usual the better the mpg.
Am I pleased I changed - you bet.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: First weeks with Crosstar.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
It's time to update your forum profile which says you are waiting to get your Crosstar.

I'm surprised by the mpg which is low compared to what I've achieved so far - 71 mpg based on fuel into tank. My last refill was over a month ago after a trip to/from and around the northern half of Wales. No motorway driving and rarely exceeded 60 mph but much cruising at around 50 mph. The car claimed 76 mpg for the trip but it was actually 73 mpg. The weather was warmer then than now which helps the fuel economy and I've always had Econ enabled. For comparison, a similar trip in my CVT HR-V would give around 52 mpg. As you note, around 60 mph seems to be the threshold where the fuel economy falls off (this is confirmed by the detailed WLTP test data) and I suspect the most economical speed is about 45 mph. That's not a specific Crosstar feature but those roof rails will add to the drag. My Crosstar is shod with Dunlop Enasave EC300 tyres. Perhaps they perform as the name implies.

Your other comments regarding noise, ride and responsiveness align with my own findings. It's a nice vehicle to drive.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:56:21 PM »
It's time to update your forum profile which says you are waiting to get your Crosstar.

I'm surprised by the mpg which is low compared to what I've achieved so far - 71 mpg based on fuel into tank. My last refill was over a month ago after a trip to/from and around the northern half of Wales. No motorway driving and rarely exceeded 60 mph but much cruising at around 50 mph. The car claimed 76 mpg for the trip but it was actually 73 mpg. The weather was warmer then than now which helps the fuel economy and I've always had Econ enabled. For comparison, a similar trip in my CVT HR-V would give around 52 mpg. As you note, around 60 mph seems to be the threshold where the fuel economy falls off (this is confirmed by the detailed WLTP test data) and I suspect the most economical speed is about 45 mph. That's not a specific Crosstar feature but those roof rails will add to the drag. My Crosstar is shod with Dunlop Enasave EC300 tyres. Perhaps they perform as the name implies.

Your other comments regarding noise, ride and responsiveness align with my own findings. It's a nice vehicle to drive.

Drag rises with velocity squared.

42.5 mph squared = 1,806 Indexed 100
60mph squared     = 3,600              199
70mph squared     = 4,900              271

So drag doubles roughly from 40 to 60mph and rises by nearly 70% more at 70mph..

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »
Thanks - changed profile!! I have seen that others think Econ not the best - will give it a try and see. Early days yet - so will see what now happens re fuel.

hotweiss

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »

Eco tyres will give you a max 2% mileage increase, at a cost of a firmer ride...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:31:00 AM by hotweiss »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »
So drag doubles roughly from 40 to 60mph and rises by nearly 70% more at 70mph..
Thanks. I'm aware of the V squared relationship but would add that a head or tail wind can also make a big difference as it increases / decreases the speed of the vehicle through the air (any cyclist can tell you that a headwind is very undesirable). The amount of drag for an individual vehicle also depends on the drag coefficient, Cd, which is determined by the vehicle shape. In this respect the extra height of the Crosstar doesn't help while the boxy Jazz shape is worse than a saloon car.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

MRCLICKCLICK

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 03:36:34 PM »
OK - just done another trip similar to the one I started the thread with - pleased. 2 up front, full fuel tank, little in boot. Now average up to 70 MPG - dropping to 63 when engine kicks in at height road speed - above 55 mph. Econ on as well as driving in B mode - no probs.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
These mpg figures are quite encouraging though, even the lower ones.

GoJazzGo

• Registered Member
  • Jazz owner since 2017
  • My Honda: Honda Hybrid Crossstar
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
Should you be driving continually in B mode. I thought you engaged B mode when you were going down long hills. Decent Braking!

I might be wrong of course.
Roy

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
It all depends on personal preference. Coming from EVs, I feel more at home in B mode. I think regen is activated in D when the speed limiter is on anyway.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 07:41:59 AM »
It all depends on personal preference. Coming from EVs, I feel more at home in B mode. I think regen is activated in D when the speed limiter is on anyway.
Have you switched back from an EV to an ICE? If so, I’d be interested in your reasons, would you care to elaborate (maybe in the “Electric cars” thread https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9305.0 rather than here)?

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »
Yes - I had a Zoe, Model 3 and MG eZS over the last couple of years. The electric cars thread seems to have derailed into various energy related topics, so I’ll start a new thread explaining all perhaps :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »
Stick it on the Electric car thread. All the threads here wander on and off track. Adding some genuine electric car information may be what it requires to get back where it should be. Start another is just confusing, and it will soon go awol.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »
Yes - I had a Zoe, Model 3 and MG eZS over the last couple of years. The electric cars thread seems to have derailed into various energy related topics, so I’ll start a new thread explaining all perhaps :)

Electricity supply and electric vehicles are inextricably linked....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
Right. Let us all agree that there is not enough electricity to charge electric cars and get back on to discussing the cars themselves on the Electric Car thread. I'll even start a new thread for electricity generation.

Tags: