Author Topic: Honda Jazz likely to get new 1.0-litre turbo petrol power  (Read 33029 times)

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Honda Jazz likely to get new 1.0-litre turbo petrol power
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
Hi

I passed my test in the very early eighties, before seatbelts were compulsory for children in the back seats only, then adults then front seat

Use of the accelerator formed part of the driving training and my instrutor physically hit my hands on the steering wheel if I kept doing things wrong.

I believe the training now is to maintain speed until you have to stop at traffic lights junctions etc, instead of preparing to continue in the correct gear

Also, for going downhill, most use brakes but I was taught to use same gear going downhill as you would going uphill and not use brakes

How times change

Many thanks

John

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
I passed my test in the 60's when, despite most cars having indicators, you still had to stick your hand out the window and wave it about, to give signals for part of your test! As you can imagine, when I came to do my PCV test in 2006, I found the Hazard Perception test a delight!! Ended up treating it like a computer game (which is really all it is).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
There is an interesting story in the July issue of Car Mechanics magazine about a 36,000 mile Ford 1.0 turbo engine in a Focus. It had a slight misfire rapidly followed by a seized engine. On investigation the head gasket had failed, all three cylinders were full of coolant. As the front cover has to come off to get the head off as the timing belt runs through the sump and the con roads were probably bent the engine was beyond economical repair.

The article headline - "Overextended 1.0 litre engine?"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:18:08 AM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:32 AM »
I pride myself in seldom using my brakes, and I am rewarded by excellent fuel consumption. Most of my driving is town driving, albeit not a busy city (though I do a bit of that as well) and I still achieve 52 mpg.
My typical driving is 10 miles rural, 2 miles urban. The urban is fairly free flowing in the morning but often choppy in the evening. Pump-to-pump I'm getting between 51mpg and 54mpg depending on the weather. But two weeks ago I was on vacation and just drove to/from golf courses out of peak hours so no stopping. The fill at the end of that was 58mpg and included a previous 'normal' week.

I was taught to drive in the late 90s by an ex-Police instructor. He told me "brakes are for stopping or correcting your mistakes". From speaking to others since though it does seem like the modern instruction method is to rely on the brakes a lot more. I can only assume it's because good accelerator control isn't easy and instructors are just trying to get people past the test. Sad.

Mind you it would also make our roads safer if people were taught how pointless overtaking is on single lane carriageways most of the time. A chap out dragged me and went round this morning (not that I was trying to defend, merely getting away from a roundabout at my usual brisk pace). And that was as far as he got for the next 10 miles. One place ahead of me behind a couple of HGV and some other cars. We parted ways at the M40 motorway but I wonder if he noticed how little his overtake achieved? Probably not.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:58:29 AM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
The only time I ever overtake on a single carriageway road is when the vehicle is EXTREMELY slow and the road is clear for a good distance (and that includes driving my works white van!). Some drivers cut things so neat I think they have an on-board computer doing the driving!!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
A friend pointed me to this:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/videos/1402917239798862/

Not recommended driving style but very impressive :)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Brilliant!  And interesting that they chose a Jazz.  Honda should make the most of the publicity opportunities.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
Don't get too exited, it is a stunt, a bit like the official test figures. It bears no relation to real world fuel consumption.

guest1372

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
94.8mpg averaged over 800+ miles.  Did they say the sweet spot was 40?  Air temp also looked pretty high and they are on the steel wheels 175/65 15" alloy.  They don't mention whether the car had been tweaked but mighty impressive anyway. 
I nearly got 70mpg over 25 miles following a lorry one day last summer only the fading temperature prevented it.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
I know that in the days of the Mobil Economy Run, one of the things they did was blow the tyres up to inordinate pressures, to cut down the rolling resistance.
A thing I try to do is avoid, when possible, coming to a complete halt. If you have ever pushed a car you know the effort required to overcome the initial inertia. Once you get it moving it is easy to keep it moving. Well the engine has to overcome that same inertia of a stationary car and if you can keep it from coming to a complete stop you can avoid that output of energy.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
I am impressed by the margin by which they exceeded the official mpg. However, 40mph will have kept the aerodynamic losses reasonably low but a key element is to avoid hold-ups - make sure the traffic lights are green and the roundabouts empty. They must have also chosen a good tailwind.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »
The only time I ever overtake on a single carriageway road is when the vehicle is EXTREMELY slow and the road is clear for a good distance (and that includes driving my works white van!). Some drivers cut things so neat I think they have an on-board computer doing the driving!!

yeah,  I will only overtake if someone is taking the piss and driving at 30 in a 60 limit or such,  as long as I am making decent progress that is OK by me,  the less time I spend on the wrong side of the road the better I like it.

Don't get me started on dangerous overtaking, and amazing how often the vehicle has a German badge (except for Vauxhall Corsas which seem to figure in bad overtaking a lot).   My main problem is that I have had overtaking vehicles approaching me at closing speed of at least 120mph and they never think of dropping back in when they can see vehicle(s) namely me approaching and obviously no room for 3 vehicles on the road (hardly room for 2 on most B roads) - do they expect me to dive into the hedge, or make the road wider or do they have some kind of death wish (I have no problem with that as long as it is only their own death,  but when they involve me its not good).  Often people overtake badly and then turn off a less than a mile later wtf !
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2017, 04:11:51 PM »
Another thing that would allow drivers to make smooth progress would be if everyone used their indicators (a pet hate of mine). Nothing worse that having to stop at a roundabout, then the car takes the exit you are entering from.
Happened to me this morning. Two lanes approaching the roundabout, car is straddling both, I stop and he signals as the turns the wheel to leave the roundabout (even worse than no signal, in my eyes). Grrrr!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
..and if they do use them they often don't reverse them when they reach their exit. Grrrr.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
Another thing that would allow drivers to make smooth progress would be if everyone used their indicators (a pet hate of mine). Nothing worse that having to stop at a roundabout, then the car takes the exit you are entering from.
Happened to me this morning. Two lanes approaching the roundabout, car is straddling both, I stop and he signals as the turns the wheel to leave the roundabout (even worse than no signal, in my eyes). Grrrr!

I will indicate left if it helps someone trying to get onto island,  but I used to indicate right when I was going round as well - soon realised that I was getting cut up an awful lot with people diving onto island in front of me,  so don't do the 'right' thing anymore.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: news jazz 

anything